Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Think Im gonna buy tickets for the championship game as soon as they go on sale, might be fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Let’s go roughnecks

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tah9cN-YGm8

:siren: Shots fired :siren:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

As a fan of the Sea Dragons who has stood by them for their entire history, through good times and bad, I will not tolerate such slander.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

xfl combine today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7T5_8rhTSo

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

The Roughnecks sent their season ticket holders an email about possibly relocating out of TDECU Stadium, but staying in Houston. Their options would be Rice Stadium or one of the large high school stadiums.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Let’s just say I heard a very credible rumor that we could be down to one spring football league very soon. And it might surprise you which league is the one that might fold/merge.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

soggybagel posted:

Let’s just say I heard a very credible rumor that we could be down to one spring football league very soon. And it might surprise you which league is the one that might fold/merge.

Honestly, I'd be a little surprised if the USFL was the one that folded (just based on that report on the XFL losing money a couple of months ago), but at the same time the XFL at least could get people into seats. The USFL couldn't.

Either way, probably for the best

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

soggybagel posted:

https://twitter.com/sarafischer/status/1704130242665996489

Its true!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Better not gently caress with my beloved Seadragons :argh:

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I hope it's more XFL than USFL cause XFL was pretty fun to watch and I liked their changes to the game.
I tried watching a USFL game and just couldn't get into it.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Digital Jedi posted:

I hope it's more XFL than USFL cause XFL was pretty fun to watch and I liked their changes to the game.
I tried watching a USFL game and just couldn't get into it.

This is how I feel. If you keep XFL's rules, but adhere to the USFL business model that doesn't hemorrhage money you'd have a fun and sustainable spring football league.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
What would happen to their TV contracts if the merger's successful? Would they have to renegotiate them or would they just finish out the ones they currently have?

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Shinji2015 posted:

What would happen to their TV contracts if the merger's successful? Would they have to renegotiate them or would they just finish out the ones they currently have?

EDIT: I was guessing at the deal points but totally missed the fact that initial details were offered on what the new rights arrangement would be.

Doronin fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 19, 2023

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Axios article says this:

Game broadcasts of the combined league are likely to be split between Fox and XFL media partner Disney, according to the source. The USFL also has a broadcast agreement with NBC, although it's not yet been determined if that will continue.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Would the Gamblers and Roughnecks co-exist in Houston?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Edward Mass posted:

Would the Gamblers and Roughnecks co-exist in Houston?

Make one of em Galveston

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

I'm betting both leagues would lose their low performers and we'd end up with a 12 team combined league. Personally I would keep playoffs at 4 teams but I could see a wild card round if the team owners are making money at the gate.

E: I can't believe I forgot that the USFL mostly wasn't playing in their namesake cities. Not all that simple now.

Tricky Ed fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 20, 2023

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Tricky Ed posted:

I'm betting both leagues would lose their low performers and we'd end up with a 12 team combined league. Personally I would keep playoffs at 4 teams but I could see a wild card round if the team owners are making money at the gate.

E: I can't believe I forgot that the USFL mostly wasn't playing in their namesake cities. Not all that simple now.

Yeah, there's no way that they're keeping all sixteen teams, but a two conference league with eight teams and two divisions each would be fun.

The USFL model of shared locations is undoubtedly cheaper, but I think it's bad for building a fanbase. A Defenders or Battlehawks game looks like a ton of fun because there's a bunch of people having a good time there cheering for their team, and even the really bad teams like the Guardians or Vipers still had more people in attendance than any USFL game I watched; it's hard to get invested when the "home" team isn't really the home team

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Shinjobi posted:

Make one of em Galveston

Galveston Gamblers does have a nice ring to it but you know any Galveston team would be hurricane related

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i believe the league will contain 10 teams when the merger is complete. all 8 xfl teams along with birmingham and philadelphia. no idea if any of the xfl teams would move.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/1707415702250897447?s=46

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/JoshGerben/status/1713939546868511056

Time to change the thread title!!!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Everything old is new again, remember the 4-5 team UFL?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Edward Mass posted:

Everything old is new again, remember the 4-5 team UFL?

gently caress, I wrote for their website for like a month. The head writer quit when they stopped paying him and then there was nobody around to say "Hey, QF, here's so-and-so's number, I want you to call and interview him" so I just sorta... stopped doing it. Never got an official notification that I didn't work for them anymore but on the other hand I never had an interview or anything. Just random dude I met at a fan meet-up was working for the league and I was already writing for a fan site and "Uh, hey, you wanna write for the actual site?"

Owners just straight up ignored their bills and somehow the league continued for two more years.

But I'm kinda surprised the UFL moniker isn't already owned?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
I think you’re the owner now, congrats

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/BenFischerSBJ/status/1730250842505085122

Lol antitrust review. Probably took 45 seconds.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
It's really funny if you read the reddit page for the XFL. The fans for some unknown reason thought they were so much higher class and better than the USFL and this merger is just showing that its just a loving business. And if they're real with themselves one stronger Spring Football League is better than ZERO or two really weak ones.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I still expect there to be no football league by 2025

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:same:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i doubt the nfl will let them change their name to no football league

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I miss Arena Football and it's a lot cheaper with the smaller rosters and running in Arenas. The only reason they died is they got obsessed with running in bigger markets instead of staying in smaller markets for 3-5 years until the locals weren't interested and moving to a new town and starting the cycle over

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

RIP again to the Houston Roughnecks :(

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 1, 2023

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

dirty shrimp money posted:

RIP again to the Houston Roughnecks :(

:argh:

I get they're trying to save money and all that, but I think the merger cutting down all the teams down to eight is a bad move. I was hoping for at least a ten team league

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
XFL teams to survive:
-Arlington Renegades
-DC Defenders
-San Antonio Brahmas
-St. Louis Battlehawks

USFL teams to survive:
-Birmingham Stallions
-Houston Gamblers
-Memphis Showboats
-Michigan Panthers

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Yeah, I really hoped for 12 teams. But if I'm honest neither the talent or money pools can support that.

I do hope this structure can work for a few years, though. Fun, affordable football is a good thing.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

RIP Sea Dragons you were pretty cool

Like half the league in Texas lol. Probably makes sense demographically but maybe at least try to appeal to someone north of the mason dixon line. I guess there’s Michigan

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 1, 2023

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
No Seattle Dragons?!? :argh:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
On one hand I get it, we already have an nfl team, but now that you gave us an xfl team and took it away it just feels like we got jerked around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

all leagues should be 38% texas teams