Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I appreciate that football was had for a little while longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Imagine how big the ratings would have been if they kept playing.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Honestly, it's been a few days and it's still shocking Vince shut down the season.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Shinji2015 posted:

Honestly, it's been a few days and it's still shocking Vince shut down the season.

All bad decisions: Vince
All good decisions: Everyone else involved in the XFL

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Pakled posted:

The XFL had a draft before the season, but will they have an annual draft or was that just a one-time thing to fill up the rosters and it's all free agency from now on?

That's a good question. Theoretically they could have a short draft after the NFL one where guys who didn't get picked up there have a chance to go to the xfl. But I think mainly it will just be maintenance and adding players through 'free agency' at this point. The original draft was probably just to bring some order to the scramble for good players at the start, but I don't know for sure.

It'd actually be really fun to have a yearly draft, just a round or two where teams pick up young players who weren't picked up by the NFL

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1238879190193242112

:vince:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Of course it's Seattle.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

They’re just playing overdubbed spliced-up versions of the games for Vince and he’s none the wiser

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
We never got that STL vs. LA game. =(

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

So is the season ending in a pandemic a win or loss for XFL2, and Vince. Will there be a second season?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Smiling Mandrill posted:

So is the season ending in a pandemic a win or loss for XFL2, and Vince. Will there be a second season?

The season ending early like this was definitely not optimal. They've said they're going to come back next season but we'll see how it pans out. Vince is definitely in this for the long haul and from the very beginning has signalled he's willing to accept short-term losses in return for long-term profitablity of the league which is probably the best a new sports league can hope for.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Well at the very least a very good number of guys have been picked up in the NFL on defense and offense. Hell PJ Walker seems set to be the Panthers starting quarterback next year

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Also keep in mind Vince is losing a ton of money with the WWE, currently.

It's not been a good year for the McMahons, and I'm happy about it.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1248645590948417536?s=20
well then, St Louis isn't getting football in a while so it was fun while it lasted

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
an online sports book let you bet on whether or not the XFL would fold before the end of their first season. i wonder how this is interpreted.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

so did this xfl last longer than the aaf

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

That sucks. I think they would have made it at least a few years without the rona.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Vertical Lime posted:

Nope

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Ehud posted:

That sucks. I think they would have made it at least a few years without the rona.
Yeah, I really liked their execution, and it felt like each team had its own unique branding. The AAF in comparison felt bland and the teams were so generic.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

At least some of the players will get an nfl paycheck

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

This clears the way for Christine Michael's dominant return to the NFL

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
:rip:

Spring football is cursed

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Ehud posted:

I just saw a rumor the other day that the XFL was considering buying what was left of the AAF's assets which made me that even if it wasn't true, the XFL was looking long-term. Bit of whiplash for me here.

This sucks hard for the players, employees, and fans... but on the flip side, Vince burned a ton of money and capital for nothing, so at least something good came out of this.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
This is the 2nd time Donald Trump has killed Spring football.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The XFL had two chances and never lasted pasted its inaugural season both times.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Hahahahahahahhahahahahahahahaha Vince McMahon will fail at everything until he is dead

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I think summer football would be an easier sell, since it's a deader sports period and people people have gone without for longer at that point, but I understand there are a lot reasons it can't happen.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

it was bad anyway

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
All other sports have used the word on furlough to say they are ceasing operations for now. This thing is dead.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm reminded of something I saw a week or so ago about how a lot of failing businesses are gonna use the pandemic as an excuse for why they gave up.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

STAC Goat posted:

I'm reminded of something I saw a week or so ago about how a lot of failing businesses are gonna use the pandemic as an excuse for why they gave up.
Vince in a nutshell

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Better Than You posted:

Vince in a nutshell

Except Vince is going to say "circumstances in our world today" and will never admit it's a pandemic.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

It's not like you need an excuse to fail anyways, the result is exactly the same.

As excuses go though it's pretty dece

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Cant wait for the 30 for 30 on this where Vince vows to try one more time from his hospital bed

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Play posted:

It's not like you need an excuse to fail anyways, the result is exactly the same.

As excuses go though it's pretty dece

Well the meaningful part of it for me is that while I didn't like the XFL or want it to succeed I am a sports fan who wouldn't mind seeing another football league. But if we ignore the deeper causes of death in the autopsy of the XFL and just blame it on the pandemic then the next guy to try this will probably go and make some of the same mistakes and assumptions the XFL did.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Is this the right thread to say that I actually kind of like watching arena football? I mean it's absolutely not football but it is entertaining.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

Well the meaningful part of it for me is that while I didn't like the XFL or want it to succeed I am a sports fan who wouldn't mind seeing another football league. But if we ignore the deeper causes of death in the autopsy of the XFL and just blame it on the pandemic then the next guy to try this will probably go and make some of the same mistakes and assumptions the XFL did.

What were those mistakes, out of curiosity? I think the XFL was on its way to succeeding, and you have to admit a global pandemic the likes of which we've never seen in our lifetimes happening halfway through the first season is pretty damned bad luck

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Play posted:

What were those mistakes, out of curiosity? I think the XFL was on its way to succeeding, and you have to admit a global pandemic the likes of which we've never seen in our lifetimes happening halfway through the first season is pretty damned bad luck

The first problem I think these leagues make is making the assumption that the demand for a spring league is already there and they need to merely supply it to succeed. Practically that probably doesn't make a huge difference for them since either way you're either going to put out a good product and build an audience or not, but its probably meaningful for those of us evaluating their chances as well as their bigger business plan.

The second obvious mistake I think made is the "feeder league" theory. If you play a bunch of games with discarded talents will some of them impress and get new chances in the NFL? Absolutely. But I'm not sure how providing that service for free is ever supposed to amount to anything. The NFL is getting a bonus but they already have a system in place and it seems highly unlikely that they'd invest ina 3rd party or supply them with valuable talent that could get hurt or burnt out there.

These aren't so much tactical errors that you can change course on, but they're more broader business plan issues that beg the question of how the league plans to ever succeed. I'd like to see a spring football league but I don't actually see a practical path to it if these are the best theories.

As for whether they were on the bath to success I don't personally see it. Their ratings were in decline and they had yet to go against March Madness, MLB, or playoff chase NBA or NHL. There was no real reason to expect a better or more profitable TV deal for a second season if a second season happened.

The pandemic might have accelerated financial losses but I don't even know if that's true since we don't know their financials. This weekend would have been the last week of regular season so I believe would have been the last week of commitment to paying player wages. It strikes me that if they could have afforded this week then it would have made more sense to just see how things shape out when things get back to normal. Releasing all their talent and shutting down this weekend strikes me as a deliberate move to avoid that and take their chance to claim they had to shut down prematurely because of the pandemic. Unless they truly just run out of money, which begs the question of whether they ever really had 2-3 years of investment money like they claimed.

I actually think the pandemic might have saved the XFL a lot of face. They never had to potentially see their ratings tank against March Madness and probably stayed in a better negotiating position with the networks as a result. And as I said I think it now serves as a convenient excuse for why the league failed ignoring the question of whether they were on the path to failing already or not.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/xfl2020/status/1248693523051958272?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Vertical Lime posted:

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1248651812997140480