Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Which reason would you rather go down for, a billionaire pulling their funding to steal your mobile app or a global pandemic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I really don't understand why people are trying to frame this AAF vs XFL thing without taking the whole global pandemic thing into account.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Ehud posted:

I really don't understand why people are trying to frame this AAF vs XFL thing without taking the whole global pandemic thing into account.

Because people are searching for humor in these very bad days.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

It’s funny seeing Vince fail.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
This league was going down with or without the pandemic, the ratings and attendance made it very obvious that it was a non-starter.

How many businessmen need to set their money on fire before they realize that the "demand" for spring football just ins't there?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
The real XFL are the friends we made along the way.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Benne posted:

This league was going down with or without the pandemic, the ratings and attendance made it very obvious that it was a non-starter.

How many businessmen need to set their money on fire before they realize that the "demand" for spring football just ins't there?

Vince was gonna fund it at a loss for at least another year though.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Vince was gonna fund it at a loss for at least another year though.

And it would've kept flailing around as a non-entity and he wouldn't get that precious TV deal, which was the endgame all along.

Between this, the AAF and countless others, there's an obvious trend of spring football. The first week gets decent ratings because they schedule it the week after the Super Bowl and people aren't quite ready to give up football yet. Once they realize that the quality of play isn't very good, and the experimental rules are a bit too wacky for their tastes, interest rapidly falls off. By the time the Combine and free agency starts everyone is talking about the NFL again, and that weird other league is buried on the backburner. Then March Madness and MLB and the NBA playoffs come around and you can forget it.

Spring football is the fetch of sports. It ain't happening, and unless you like losing money you should stop trying to make it happen.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

edit: it's already been posted

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I think those people claiming that the XFL was always doomed to fail are talking out their rear end a bit. We absolutely don't know that and now we'll never get to find out. It had only JUST started to enter the cultural zeitgeist but it was definitely making an impression and I think it could well have succeeded. Not when you're still paying everyone but you can't even produce a product though

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its a minor league sport league, in a sport where there's already a second hugely popular league, in a country where there are no other second pro leagues or minor leagues on TV that aren't just extensions of the major league.

Diehard football fans want more football. I get that. But they make the mistake of assuming that because the NFL and the Superbowl are so popular that everyone wants more football. The reality is that there's basically three kinds of fans of the NFL. The diehard football fans, the general sports fans, and the casual fans. The casual fans have no interest or probably aren't even aware of the XFL. The general sports fans might have had some curiosity about it and interest in watching it when nothing else was on, but if there's better quality sports happening they'll choose that generally. That basically leaves the fans who just want football over most everything else. And there's nothing wrong with that but there's also no evidence that there's enough of those people to support a new league.

Maybe some day someone will discover the secret to a spring league. Maybe the XFL would have. But the odds were always against them and they weren't headed in the right direction before the pandemic.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
If nothing else, the XFL had the best extra point rules.

Kickoff rules were interesting for decreasing injuries, but a bit weird to see.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

The Chiefs (Ta'amu) play the Panthers (P.J. Walker) this year (theoretically) if you want an XFL Champion.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
I think a lot of the problems with spring football are that nobody wants to watch an 8 team league that plays 12 games a team, and probably doesn't have a team near them anyway (except canadians I guess).

If the XFL and AAF were a single league with 16 teams I think there'd be a lot more interest nationally and a more interesting product.

The other thing you need is simple, universal access to it. Like if you could watch every game streaming live on Prime, it might bring in enough views that you aren't even really relying on ticket sales.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
The XFL cared more about the safety of their players than the NFL.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I feel it would have survived the year, and both ESPN and Fox would give it another shot next year. Maybe the NFL would have permitted players who finished the season on the practice squad to participate (which was a rumor going around). That would have bolstered it enough I feel to make it viable long term. The market was there, I felt. It was bigger than the naysayers wanna portray it was.

The play itself was FCS level to the NFL's FBS. Was it bad? No. Was it good? Eh, had flashes, but I feel it was watchable at worst. It was football that was largely familiar, compared to CFL (which is familiar enough that you can watch and know most of what's happening, but there's minutiae that can get lost).

As much as I hate Vince, I feel bad for the players and other staff.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
The XFL is now an Ex-FL

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

iospace posted:

I feel it would have survived the year, and both ESPN and Fox would give it another shot next year. Maybe the NFL would have permitted players who finished the season on the practice squad to participate (which was a rumor going around). That would have bolstered it enough I feel to make it viable long term. The market was there, I felt. It was bigger than the naysayers wanna portray it was.

The play itself was FCS level to the NFL's FBS. Was it bad? No. Was it good? Eh, had flashes, but I feel it was watchable at worst. It was football that was largely familiar, compared to CFL (which is familiar enough that you can watch and know most of what's happening, but there's minutiae that can get lost).

As much as I hate Vince, I feel bad for the players and other staff.

Yeah agreed. I guess I don't hate Vince enough since I've never been a wrestling guy and don't know much about him. I'm glad the players got the opportunity they did, and that so many were able to be signed by NFL teams, but I definitely wish it was coming back.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Which reason would you rather go down for, a billionaire pulling their funding to steal your mobile app or a global pandemic?

I missed this part about the AAF

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Yaya posted:

The XFL is now an Ex-FL

Mods please do the needful.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Getting hype for the XFL 3.0 in 2030! :woop:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

BGrifter posted:

Getting hype for the XFL 3.0 in 2030! :woop:

2040. It runs on a 20 year cycle.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
RIP XFL. I honestly enjoyed it and I'll miss it next spring, although TBH my viewership may have dropped off some around the end of March when the weather gets good and I want to do other poo poo on weekends.

The real shame is that we're probably not going to see another alternative sports league of remotely close to this quality pop up for a long time. I really wish it had succeeded just because I feel like it would have been good for sports in general.

I really do hope the NFL adopts some of the rules changes the XFL made. Especially, and I know drat well it'll never happen, but forcing transparency on the officials was the best thing the XFL did. NFL refs and their giant egos are the worst thing about the league, and now we've seen the perfect solution to it.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
It just occurred to me there’s gonna be some pretty sweet merch available at clearance prices soon. I may have to spring for a Seattle Dragons jersey.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Despite the ratings dip everything I was told from people who work at the league is that they would almost certainly have done a 2nd season. And as of now even though the XFL is "Dead" its not out of the realm of possibility that they come back for a 2nd season.

I realize this is very much "my uncle who works at Nintendo told me..." territory but as of now there is no plans for a 2nd season but literally nothing is off the table either.

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 13, 2020

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Your friends who work at the league are literally off the table

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it rules that some huge dumb asses who were clear-cut laid off got told "we're in wait and see mode" by cooked cowards and probably fully believe it. word is, there may be an opportunity down the line

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it doesn't rule. it's a bad and evil thing to have done. I hope you understand me. plus i meant to say crooked and not cooked earlier on.

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Apr 13, 2020

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
May the Orlando Apollos and St. Louis Battlehawks play many games together in Valhalla.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I think I sort of misspoke here. You’re right that everyone is laid off. No one is getting money anymore and the XFL is not planning anything for a 2nd season. So it’s dead.

My nothing is off the table comment was meant more towards the idea that if somehow things are totally fine by the fall which I am not operating on the assumption it is, more that we would need some breakthrough on a vaccine then yes a 2nd season is still possible. That’s all.

Cavauro posted:

it rules that some huge dumb asses who were clear-cut laid off got told "we're in wait and see mode" by cooked cowards and probably fully believe it. word is, there may be an opportunity down the line

It’s also not someone who’s some low hanging person either so don’t feel to bad. I texted Dean Blandino and asked him. That’s all.

Also the reason the XFL title game was going to be held in Houston is because Vince’s mom lives there and he wanted her to be able to come to the championship game. She’s like 100 years old or something.

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Apr 13, 2020

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

soggybagel posted:

I think I sort of misspoke here. You’re right that everyone is laid off. No one is getting money anymore and the XFL is not planning anything for a 2nd season. So it’s dead.

My nothing is off the table comment was meant more towards the idea that if somehow things are totally fine by the fall which I am not operating on the assumption it is, more that we would need some breakthrough on a vaccine then yes a 2nd season is still possible. That’s all.

It probably boils down to how quickly people are willing to pack into a stadium together again. Personally I'm doubtful for that even by end of 2021.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/eriqgardner/status/1249762174165278721?s=21

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Still probably less of a financial loss than his wife’s political career.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
Bankruptcy for corporations is a loving scam

Vince can afford his debt

MorrisBae fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 13, 2020

El Patron
Jul 9, 2011

Philly Philly
https://twitter.com/AustinKarp/status/1249773447271657472

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I bid one dollar.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I bid one dollar.

I'll double you.

Suck it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

True, but I'm sad for all the players, coaches, etc who fully committed to the league to try to earn their way back/in to the NFL.