Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
While PJ Walker is still probably the favorite for MVP, Cam Phillips might also have a shot at it.

https://twitter.com/xfl2020/status/1237526967861137408

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

WEH posted:

Oilers gonna be champs by default just like my apollos 2 for 2 baby

I was leaning Iron for the AAF, but yeah, probably.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Troy Queef posted:

https://twitter.com/xfl2020/status/1238242448075304961?s=20
this is important as players were guaranteed medical coverage in their contracts

Wow, a surprisingly non-lovely thing from Vince.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Docjowles posted:

Apparently all XFL players are being permitted to immediately sign with NFL teams if they can find a taker, which is also surprisingly decent of them.

Wow, another non-lovely thing from Vince!

...he must not have any input on this.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Honestly, it's been a few days and it's still shocking Vince shut down the season.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Ehud posted:

That sucks. I think they would have made it at least a few years without the rona.

I just saw a rumor the other day that the XFL was considering buying what was left of the AAF's assets which made me that even if it wasn't true, the XFL was looking long-term. Bit of whiplash for me here.

This sucks hard for the players, employees, and fans... but on the flip side, Vince burned a ton of money and capital for nothing, so at least something good came out of this.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

...huh.

Imagine if he buys back the XFL for how much he got the WCW for.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

:hmmyes: Ah, a person of taste

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
4 years is assuming a lot.

Also, that's what they're going for as the new logo?

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Little surprised that Perez didn't stay in the USFL, but I guess we'll be seeing players continue to bounce around between leagues

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Vertical Lime posted:

it’s on

they’re openly talking about the spread

Yup.

Should we just do a GDT for the whole season?

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
GDT thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4024511

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

soggybagel posted:

Let’s just say I heard a very credible rumor that we could be down to one spring football league very soon. And it might surprise you which league is the one that might fold/merge.

Honestly, I'd be a little surprised if the USFL was the one that folded (just based on that report on the XFL losing money a couple of months ago), but at the same time the XFL at least could get people into seats. The USFL couldn't.

Either way, probably for the best

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
What would happen to their TV contracts if the merger's successful? Would they have to renegotiate them or would they just finish out the ones they currently have?

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Tricky Ed posted:

I'm betting both leagues would lose their low performers and we'd end up with a 12 team combined league. Personally I would keep playoffs at 4 teams but I could see a wild card round if the team owners are making money at the gate.

E: I can't believe I forgot that the USFL mostly wasn't playing in their namesake cities. Not all that simple now.

Yeah, there's no way that they're keeping all sixteen teams, but a two conference league with eight teams and two divisions each would be fun.

The USFL model of shared locations is undoubtedly cheaper, but I think it's bad for building a fanbase. A Defenders or Battlehawks game looks like a ton of fun because there's a bunch of people having a good time there cheering for their team, and even the really bad teams like the Guardians or Vipers still had more people in attendance than any USFL game I watched; it's hard to get invested when the "home" team isn't really the home team

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

dirty shrimp money posted:

RIP again to the Houston Roughnecks :(

:argh:

I get they're trying to save money and all that, but I think the merger cutting down all the teams down to eight is a bad move. I was hoping for at least a ten team league

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Losing the Sea Dragons sucks because they had one of the better home crowds. Not as good as St. Louis or DC, but there was definitely a fanbase there, unlike any of the USFL teams except for maybe Michigan.

Any word on if they'll be using the USFL or XFL model for stadiums? DC and St. Louis had better home crowds than some NFL teams, and I think they need people in the stands cheering for their team if they're serious about keeping this league around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

seiferguy posted:

Not a single west coast / PST team lol

Gotta keep three teams in Texas lol