Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I was looking for this absolutely ridiculous play where Jhurrel Pressley was tackled by four defenders, stayed up somehow and daintily stepped over them for like 10 more yards

couldn't find that but I did find this

https://twitter.com/XFLDefenders/status/1237035383013048324

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Athanatos posted:

Will the XFL survive a virus shutdown?

Hell of a thing to happen in the inaugural season, no doubt

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Pakled posted:

The XFL had a draft before the season, but will they have an annual draft or was that just a one-time thing to fill up the rosters and it's all free agency from now on?

That's a good question. Theoretically they could have a short draft after the NFL one where guys who didn't get picked up there have a chance to go to the xfl. But I think mainly it will just be maintenance and adding players through 'free agency' at this point. The original draft was probably just to bring some order to the scramble for good players at the start, but I don't know for sure.

It'd actually be really fun to have a yearly draft, just a round or two where teams pick up young players who weren't picked up by the NFL

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Well at the very least a very good number of guys have been picked up in the NFL on defense and offense. Hell PJ Walker seems set to be the Panthers starting quarterback next year

Play
Apr 25, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

I'm reminded of something I saw a week or so ago about how a lot of failing businesses are gonna use the pandemic as an excuse for why they gave up.

It's not like you need an excuse to fail anyways, the result is exactly the same.

As excuses go though it's pretty dece

Play
Apr 25, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

Well the meaningful part of it for me is that while I didn't like the XFL or want it to succeed I am a sports fan who wouldn't mind seeing another football league. But if we ignore the deeper causes of death in the autopsy of the XFL and just blame it on the pandemic then the next guy to try this will probably go and make some of the same mistakes and assumptions the XFL did.

What were those mistakes, out of curiosity? I think the XFL was on its way to succeeding, and you have to admit a global pandemic the likes of which we've never seen in our lifetimes happening halfway through the first season is pretty damned bad luck

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I think those people claiming that the XFL was always doomed to fail are talking out their rear end a bit. We absolutely don't know that and now we'll never get to find out. It had only JUST started to enter the cultural zeitgeist but it was definitely making an impression and I think it could well have succeeded. Not when you're still paying everyone but you can't even produce a product though

Play
Apr 25, 2006

iospace posted:

I feel it would have survived the year, and both ESPN and Fox would give it another shot next year. Maybe the NFL would have permitted players who finished the season on the practice squad to participate (which was a rumor going around). That would have bolstered it enough I feel to make it viable long term. The market was there, I felt. It was bigger than the naysayers wanna portray it was.

The play itself was FCS level to the NFL's FBS. Was it bad? No. Was it good? Eh, had flashes, but I feel it was watchable at worst. It was football that was largely familiar, compared to CFL (which is familiar enough that you can watch and know most of what's happening, but there's minutiae that can get lost).

As much as I hate Vince, I feel bad for the players and other staff.

Yeah agreed. I guess I don't hate Vince enough since I've never been a wrestling guy and don't know much about him. I'm glad the players got the opportunity they did, and that so many were able to be signed by NFL teams, but I definitely wish it was coming back.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

True, but I'm sad for all the players, coaches, etc who fully committed to the league to try to earn their way back/in to the NFL.

On the positive side, it worked for quite a few of them, at least as far as predraft rosters are concerned. Pittsburgh alone picked up like six XFL players

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It's bankrupt, Austin! It was undercapitalized all along!

bankrupt is more a state of mind than anything else, what's happened is it's become totally not worth it to NOT file for bankruptcy, considering they can't market their product and have no idea when they would be able to

Play
Apr 25, 2006

What is even the inspiration for the name? Just the US flag since that's where the declaration of independence /constitution was signed? Or are there a lot of celebrities in Philly? I don't see it being actual stars, I doubt you can see those in Philly

BiggerBoat posted:

I never liked the idea of a Philadelphia team putting a loving star on their helmet, regardless of the patriotic connections and all. All I can think of is the Cowboys.

And gently caress the Cowboys.

I'm really old and remember the original USFL and I didn't like it then either. What's wrong with the Philadelphia Freedom? Play the Elton John song, stick a flag or the Liberty Bell on your helmet and be done with it.

Also, I've mentioned it in other threads but god drat I've always felt that original Michigan Panthers helmet belongs in the Louvre.

Oh that's the team name from the old USFL I see

Yeah Philadelphia Freedom would be so much better. It even has alliteration. Not to mention the stars on the flag represent all the states but the team represent Philly

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Oh neat I forgot about this. I could use a chill football watching session

e: drat can't find a stream

Play fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 30, 2024

Play
Apr 25, 2006

The Birmingham game was really good, at least judging from the highlights. Back and forth for most of it before the Stallions started to pull away. Fun to see Matt Corral play, he had a pretty good game although I do miss Alex McGough, he's always been fun to watch. Corral brings some similar stuff though. Birmingham looks good like they pretty much always have been.

As for the other game, man Michigan has such an aggressive defense I really like it. Plenty of blitzing and the D line just getting off blocks quickly. Michigan has always been scrappy. Bad, but scrappy. Looks like they've improved a little bit, and what an epic way to get the win.

Overall, really entertaining opening day for the UFL.

By the way, perhaps there should be a new thread now that's it's not the offseason. Maybe a combined N/V and GDT or one of each since most people don't care all that much about this league.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Dr_Strangelove posted:

CASE
COOKUS
is on my TV right now

Fucken love that dude

e: I miss the Philadelphia Stars. I liked their uniforms

Play fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Apr 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I think I know the tackle they are referring to. And yeah the form left something to be desired but you can't say he didn't give his all.