Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 15, 2022

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Given that you've already listed most of the items I'd default to checking, I have two considerations: intermittent harness problem (probably power or ground) to the PCM, or a module such as the cluster internally faulted and sending garbage data to the PCM it doesn't know what to do with/interfering with the PCM's power somehow. If the PCM does control the alternator voltage, and the voltage regulator circuit loses power, I'm guessing it would just cease regulating and your voltage would skyrocket. You say the PCM tests good, have you actually tried a new PCM to see if the problem persists? If the voltage regulator has an intermittent failure allowing the voltage to go that high it could very well cause all sorts of persistent and infuriatingly nonsensical problems all over the vehicle.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 15, 2022

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

The nature of all of the faults scream power, ground, or control issue to me. I'm leaning on the PCM or PCM harness being at fault. Does the PCM have to be programmed or is it a straight drop-in?

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Krakkles posted:

The bold part is accurate - the PCM does control alternator voltage. That's not a bad idea. It did occur to me that when I sent the PCM in to get tested, they may well simply not have tested it long enough or in the particular fashion that would induce the problem - it DOES lately seem like heat is more of a factor, so totally plausible.

Shopping for PCMs. Still totally open to ideas and will update as soon as I can (might take a bit to get one, but it looks like they're on eBay for not crazy amounts of money).

Yeah the ebay one might cost you some $ - but if swapping it doesn't resolve your issues then you can just put it right back on ebay in the same packaging and the cost to you will be minimal/zero - and if it does fix it then from your checklist it looks like it will be totally worth it!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
XJ Spotted. Thread rules.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
How did the 5.4 swap go? What sort of adapter is needed to fit one in a Mustang? I thought mod motors were mod motors, they're all the same...

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Krakkles posted:

The bold part is accurate - the PCM does control alternator voltage. That's not a bad idea. It did occur to me that when I sent the PCM in to get tested, they may well simply not have tested it long enough or in the particular fashion that would induce the problem - it DOES lately seem like heat is more of a factor, so totally plausible.

Shopping for PCMs. Still totally open to ideas and will update as soon as I can (might take a bit to get one, but it looks like they're on eBay for not crazy amounts of money).

The random poo poo would make me think TIPM, except a 2000 doesn’t have that yet.

Pull apart the fuse boxes and look at the bottom side. Is there one under the hood?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Krakkles posted:

Annnnnd, nope.

I figure they probably won't let me return it, but it's worth a try, maybe.

Sorry, stevobob, I was getting all hopeful and starting to worry about how I could establish that you were at least 21 and I therefore wouldn't be breaking a law by shipping a bottle of booze to you.

I guess harness (which, to be fair, was also his idea) is the only thing left, but I don't have the slightest idea how to troubleshoot it farther than I have - continuity checks to ground from appropriate PCM pins.

Oh, what a disappointment. I thought being at least partially confident was ok. Well, for a full harness check, I'd start at one place - probably the PCM - and just check along the whole harness with my eyes and hands. If there's no easily detectable trouble spots (chafe points, suspiciously flexible or stiff sections) I'd probably start trying to unwrap the harness. That is the lovely time consuming part and might again not turn up anything actionable.

Wiring problems, especially intermittent, usually won't be uncovered by continuity checks. If there's an intermittent short between a power and signal wire, continuity checks to ground from the PCM end of the harness will be good and won't turn up anything suspicious. There is the potential of something else on the PCM's 12v input line loving up and causing a voltage drop that is enough to trip the PCM to shut off momentarily. Are you able to post the PCM wiring harness diagram, with its power inputs and grounds?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Can you post a few diagrams?

Alternator connector and charging circuits. What actually regulates the alternator output? I did some cursory investigation and it looks like the circuit goes through the instrument cluster.

What regulates the position of the iac?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 15, 2022

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Or the battery temp sensor.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
It says temp data along with monitored line voltage.

What is that circuit like? I almost wonder if its the instrument cluster itself.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Krakkles posted:

I don't think it's the cluster, but I welcome correction. Here's the instrument cluster diagram:

I don't think it's there because the voltmeter in the cluster is fed by the CCD bus, and direct voltage is supplied via the ignition switch.

I don't see anything calling out how the line voltage is monitored, but I think they'd want to get as directly from the alternator as possible. It appears that the shortest path there is Fused B+ on pin A22, PCM plug C1?

(There's also the generator field wires but if I understand that right, it's power fed through one (alters field of generator) to ground via the other - so no output coming from the generator.)

I still think its the cluster messing with voltage somehow. https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/what-sensors-ccd-bus-239586/
I can’t explain why I think its the cluster because I looked at the wrong diagrams before.

It could be anything on that ccd bus messing with voltage. You can try unplugging components one by one and look for a change.

Edit: what does the 5v reference voltage look like? I bet its the source of some of the bullshit.

rdb fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 19, 2020

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Re reading your symptoms, loss of automatic shifting.

It still doesn’t shift? Can you communicate with the TCM or any other module on the bus? I would really like to unplug modules and see what changes, starting with the TCM. Low 5v reference would explain most of the symptoms with the gas gauge and IAC, lovely signals on the CCD bus would explain the gauges freaking out maybe the surging too.

rdb fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 19, 2020

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Yeah, when the problem is occuring, unplug things one by one and note the changes.

It could be any module or sensor pulling down the 5v reference. Instrument cluster as well. Since its loving with the gauge readings, which appear to come from data on the ccd bus, I would suspect its one of those modules doing both. But that could be wrong, could just be an intermittent shorted sensor somewhere causing everything to go nuts since they all run off 5v. I would literally try unplugging everything you can and see what changes. All the modules and sensors.

That ccd bus will require an oscilloscope to check. Hooking a multimeter up to it wont tell you much, unless its totally dead.

rdb fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 19, 2020

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

rdb posted:

Yeah, when the problem is occuring, unplug things one by one and note the changes.

It could be any module or sensor pulling down the 5v reference. Instrument cluster as well. Since its loving with the gauge readings, which appear to come from data on the ccd bus, I would suspect its one of those modules doing both. But that could be wrong, could just be an intermittent shorted sensor somewhere causing everything to go nuts since they all run off 5v. I would literally try unplugging everything you can and see what changes. All the modules and sensors.

That ccd bus will require an oscilloscope to check. Hooking a multimeter up to it wont tell you much, unless its totally dead.

I'm no expert but if it was a sensor loving about then wouldn't most of them likely trigger a CEL with a recorded error code?

How much poo poo can you unplug and still start the car?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Tomarse posted:

I'm no expert but if it was a sensor loving about then wouldn't most of them likely trigger a CEL with a recorded error code?

How much poo poo can you unplug and still start the car?

It really depends on how that sensor/module pulls the voltage down or fucks up the com line. It could be something you wouldn’t expect like the RKE module. Since we don’t have an oscilloscope or chrysler drbIII its going to be challenging to figure out whats actually going on.

Look up diagnose dan on youtube. He explained recently how a door handle caused a no start on a bmw. Others couldn’t figure it out so they just unplugged the module the door handle connected to. No CEL from that.

Cars can run with a lot of things unplugged. That jeep might not like not seeing the SKIM but it should run with without the rke module, instrument cluster, tcm, etc. Same with sensors, they can estimate airflow without the maf, guess where ignition timing should be without a cam sensor. They might run lovely, but if you unhook one and all the sudden it shifts or the gas gauge is accurate your probably on to something.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Krakkles posted:

This might be a dumb question, but would something like this provide sufficient information to help? I'm not going to buy a $300 oscilloscope, but if a $30-50 unit will help at all, I'm more than down.

It will help in that you can see what the signal looks like. It won’t tell you exactly what module is having the issue. A scan tool with the ability to communicate with all of them would. I am not sure what a DRB3 costs.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Krakkles posted:

This might be a dumb question, but would something like this provide sufficient information to help? I'm not going to buy a $300 oscilloscope, but if a $30-50 unit will help at all, I'm more than down.

You can get a cheap USB oscilloscope too - it is just a box with probes and it displays in the software on a laptop. I bought myself one to diagnose issues with a single sensor. I'm not sure you are there yet - but they are handy to have!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
This is the diagram for the CCD bus. Not a whole lot on it. It should be easy to isolate individual modules and see what starts working. We know the PCM is good, SKIM will prevent it from running for more than 2 seconds so that might be difficult. The person you bought the flashed ecu from might have disabled it.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
It may even be the TCM itself. Monitor the voltage on that ccd bus and the 5v reference when you disconnect it.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I skimmed the thread so forgive if I'm suggesting something you've already done...But I would start at the CEL and work backwards since it's the best thing you've got to go off of. Check the wiring (use diagram and check resistance from one connector to the next all down the line and make sure it's good). Still screams ground to me, so see if there's a common ground on a lot of the things that are tripping up (cluster, etc.). You might just have a chaffed wire somewhere and might just require ripping a lot of poo poo apart to find. :(

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003