Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Fire away. I've been pretty open about what I do for a living. Glad they arrived, and good luck with the wiring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 15, 2022

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Worth noting, if you intend to do harness work often, I recommend dry vinyl harness tape rather than electrical tape. It clings well if wrapped tightly but doesn't leave goop behind, you use friction tape to hold the loose end down. That's good friction tape, I'll have to pick some up.

If you use electrical tape, use the best stuff you can get your hands on or it'll turn into a melty goopy mess, especially in an engine bay with chemicals and heat. 3m super33 is pretty good.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

You can get cloth tape for wrapping looms which is great too!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
What kind of bee?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
If you have wild honeybees consider it luck. I keep bees, my most hardy stock came from local survivor swarms. Varroa wiped out most wild colonies during the 1990s. Whats left, around here anyways, tend to be hardy, swarm often, and act aggressive. But they survive. I removed a colony from a very old camper that had been active for a decade and survived a couple poisoning attempts by the property owners. Everyone there got stung, they chased cars for half a mile, but the colony is still going strong. None of the fancy genetics or $200 nucs I have bought have fared as well. They are calmer stock but succumb to mites quick if your not careful.

If they are still around and actually honeybees and not hornets most likely there are a dozen or so beekeepers in the area who will come get them for free.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 15, 2022

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Krakkles posted:

Surprise midweek update:

So, gently caress bees (this is the same tree):

hey, bees are good! Its wasps/hornets that need to gently caress off! Can you not get a beekeeper to come move them?

If a car starts after major electronic surgery its always a good start! have you just got to re-wrap it now or is there more to check and fix?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
A beekeeper would be happy to help you out.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Goonfleet is inquisitive about your spacecraft repairs

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I haven't seen a bee in ages. :(

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Looking good. It's a shame you didn't solder any of it, that Type E wire solders like a dream. Looks like plenty of length to tuck things away, and hopefully it takes care of the issue!

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Yeah, so, wild be populations in the US have largely been wiped out.

There is a mite that lives on them called varroa destructor. In addition to the damage caused by being a parasite, the mites are also vectors for a number of viruses and other diseases. They first appeared in the us during 1990s and took out probably 99% of the wild honeybees.

What you see there is a swarm. What happens is the bees outgrow the hive, the queen lays some eggs to hatch that will be new queens, and then she takes off with half the workers. The workers gorge on honey before they go, to the point where they are docile and so fat they have a hard time stinging. Not that they can’t, its just less likely.

Bees, varroa and insects have a defined life cycle. Swarming disrupts the laying of eggs in the hive and breaks the life cycle of varroa. So the wild hives that are left tend to swarm often.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
We have a place (small bit from an old farm) that we use in the family. Haven't seen bees there for ages, but this year there are tooooons of bumble bees. I think I'm gonna put up some dwellings for bees to use. but as far away from the house as possible as my mom is VERY allergic.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Varroa destructor is one of the reasons why domestic hives in Ontario must be registered and their locations given to the government.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Krakkles posted:

edit: Googling made me realize there's an Ontario, OH also, though!

I was just there today!

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Krakkles posted:

At first, for whatever reason, I read "Ontario" as "Ohio", and felt confused that people are apparently willing to register their bees but not their guns.

Then I realized, Ontario -> Canada -> oh yeah, they're not totally insane.

edit: Googling made me realize there's an Ontario, OH also, though!

On the other hand, I can totally picture Ohioans having an armed protest about having to register their bees.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Beekeepers are different.

I like to wear masks (well, a bee jacket) because getting stung on the face sucks.

Also, my hives are registered with the state because I don’t want pesticides sprayed on them. Most beekeepers here are the same way.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

You aren't gonna find another that's in better shape. They're basically all like that. Hell, when I did the custom harness merge for Sandbaggers YJ EFI swap in 2012, the harness I used was like that.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 15, 2022

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, I was helping a friend by inspecting the WJ they just got - that makes three out of three Jeeps I've had my hands on where that poo poo is crispy at best.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

The only way to really fix that is going to be to find the crimp pins for the connectors on that section of the loom (shouldn't be super hard, most of them are very common) and depin all the connectors, rebuild that section from scratch using the fsm schematics, then reloom it. Which honestly isn't a bad idea. But given that I only ever see breaks on a few spots I don't think I'd bother.

Spots I see breaks:
- right at the back of the cts plug
- right at the back of the TPS and IAT plugs
- the upstream O2 harness sometimes gets crunchy
Plus the area you are already fixing where it bridges from the engine to firewall.

That's about it. I've literally never seen a conductor break inside the plastic raceway that clips to the head bolts. It gets metamorphosed from wire-limestone into wire-marble, sure, but it never seems to actually cause harm, just frustration when doing harness work.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 15, 2022

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

This reminds me. Krakkles, Kastein, what crimper dies do you use for those heatshrink splices? Kastein gave me a box of them for AISS a few years ago, and when I finally went to use them a few months ago I didn't get a good crimp using the regular RBY dies for insulated terminals. IIRC the terminal kind of squirted out of the jaws sideways. Happened twice in a row, so I ended up soldering and heatshrinking (not an automotive application). I seem to have thrown away the mis-crimped terminals; should have saved them to look at how they failed.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I use a regular old ratchet crimper. It does damage the heatshrink a little but not too badly. I picked up an astro 9477 crimper that I love for many things including regular rby. I haven't tried it on heatshrink butt splices but they do make an A1 quick change die for it too that's designed for rby heatshrink splices, though I've only bought the H6 and H7 dies for it (besides the five sets of dies it comes with) so far.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kastein posted:

I use a regular old ratchet crimper. It does damage the heatshrink a little but not too badly. I picked up an astro 9477 crimper that I love for many things including regular rby. I haven't tried it on heatshrink butt splices but they do make an A1 quick change die for it too that's designed for rby heatshrink splices, though I've only bought the H6 and H7 dies for it (besides the five sets of dies it comes with) so far.

Yeah the one I was using is just a regular no-name ratcheting crimper with the common RBY dies. If you have good success with these, I'll try them again next time. Must have been a fluke. Thanks!

That Astro kit looks pretty nice, I'll keep them in mind for when I need to buy my own instead of just using the stuff work issues to me.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 15, 2022

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

They look like mine too.

The astro one was suggested to me by a guy on sloppy mechanics. I haven't had reason to use anything but my h6 and h7 dies so far which work really nicely, I used them to make a maf adapter cable to plug a truck maf into my van harness. Hoping I can find dies for all the other stuff I do, it's nice not having to unscrew and rescrew the bolts holding the dies in like on a regular ratchet crimper.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kastein posted:

They look like mine too.

The astro one was suggested to me by a guy on sloppy mechanics. I haven't had reason to use anything but my h6 and h7 dies so far which work really nicely, I used them to make a maf adapter cable to plug a truck maf into my van harness. Hoping I can find dies for all the other stuff I do, it's nice not having to unscrew and rescrew the bolts holding the dies in like on a regular ratchet crimper.

We have one of these Click-n-crimp things at work that is pretty convenient for the same reason, but it goes one step further and holds several sets of dies in the handle for easy access.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9jAcppzSOQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 15, 2022