Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 15, 2022

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 15, 2022

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
can't you get from the transmission what gear it thinks it's in, which presumably is what is displayed on your display, and instead lock out your TC lockup in first? like use a relay to inhibit that signal unless you're in 2 3 or 4

i think on TJs it's just a parallel binary readout, so you could use a CMOS decoder to get the individual readouts and build your logic on top of that

assuming it's the same on XJs, which, idk

maybe im thinking of shifter position instead of trans gear. but still, it should be available in some fashion if your display knows what it is

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
fair enough. im super abesnt-minded, so if theres a way for me to automate away the possibility of doing a dumb, that would be the way to go for me. luckily it sounds like you can trust your brain better, lol

except starter neutral interlocks, those are annoying

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You can actually damage the converter lockup clutch by doing it in first, though it'll drive like poo poo and remind you to unlock it before that happens probably.

Personally I would lock it out in first and maybe second anyways, and auto unlock it when shifting and brake signal active, but I didn't design that unit. Should be easily added in firmware if he wants to.

The XJ uses a completely different trans control scheme from the TJ, oddly - on the TJ the PCM controls the trans using the governor pressure sensor and governor pressure solenoid to pwm modulate how much fluid gets to the governor on what's essentially an 80s non electronic 3 speed auto that Chrysler made worse, somehow. On the XJ, they use a 4 speed overdrive aisin rated for 450ftlb (with an engine that puts out 235...) With it's own dedicated TCU and the ECU talks to it over the CCD bus, but doesn't really tell it anything, the TCU has all its own sensors except the TPS and brake light switch, it monitors the signals from the ECU sensors for those. You can cut the CCD bus and everything will still work, it just throws codes P1694 and P1698 because the ECU and TCU miss each other.

And the XJ and TJ ECU/PCM are the same hardware, just with different firmware.

Dunno why they did it so differently, but at least the XJ got the good transmission...

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I have no experience of autoboxes but i assume you can feel it when the torque converter is locked?

Would assume it is like the manual overdrive on my truck which has a "do not use in low gears" warning. I generally forget it the first time i use it on every trip.. until I have to pull off at the first junction I stop at where it becomes very evident that I forgot.

Can you just add an obnoxiously bright LED indicator light to it in addition to the subtle one on the switch?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
For not much more effort paddle shifters could be implemented.

...I'd build some kind of 1st gear TCC lockout, that's me though. Even with regimented procedures, distractions can happen.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Tomarse posted:

I have no experience of autoboxes but i assume you can feel it when the torque converter is locked?

Speaking for at least a stock 4 speed auto in 3 different cars, yeah, it feels a little like it shifted into "5th". The RPMs are very locked to speed unless you give it enough throttle to unlock. Some cars will give a bit of a shudder if it's up there in years. Brokeback is particularly aggressive about getting into 4th quickly, then locking up the TC. (it usually locks up around ~40 MPH).

Or if you're a late 80s/early 90s GM FWD automatic, it'll lock up and refuse to unlock. Always fun coming to a stop after a highway run - engine just stalls. The PITA fix is dropping the pan and replacing the solenoid. The easy fix is just unplugging the solenoid (usually a 3 pin connector under the air intake tubing somewhere). ATF temps ran a little higher, MPG went down slightly on the highway, but no CEL. My ex's 91 Cavalier wagon had that issue, it went through 4 different loving shops before he asked me about it (TBF he had the car long before we hooked up). I only remembered it because of FidoNet of all places.

Me: "I know exactly what to unplug to get it running and driving" *unplug*
Car: gently caress you, I've been parked for 4 years, I demand a new fuel pump, new fuel, new injectors, and tie rod ends. But at least I'm not gonna stall anymore!
Ex: Well at least it doesn't stall anymore.

Somehow the AC still worked after being parked that long, too.

e: I knew it'd been parked for at least 4 years, but had no idea how old the tires were. Thankfully he normally insisted I drive pretty much everywhere (I mean FFS, I even took his dad to the airport, in his dad's car... runs in the family, they hated rain and hated driving). He had some anxiety about driving and generally had me drive everywhere... back tire went POP about a week later around ~70 mph. Car tried to go sideways, but it's a loving Cavalier wagon, handling was not its strong suite. I'm pretty sure if he'd been driving, we would have wound up bad side up.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 3, 2021

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Krakkles posted:

Yeah, I think you guys have me convinced.

Current plan is to grab the 1st and 2nd gear wires in the Nifty Shifter, and branch that voltage to a normally closed relay, which drives the TC lockup switch power feed. If I recall correctly, there is voltage from the NSS when it's in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, but there is no signal to indicate 4th.

Paddle shifters would be fun, but this is probably dancing pretty near the limits of my electronics experience.

On 97+ there should be a signal for 4th as well. 96- NSS you are correct, no signal for 4th.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 15, 2022

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles
May 5, 2003