Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

This reminds me. Krakkles, Kastein, what crimper dies do you use for those heatshrink splices? Kastein gave me a box of them for AISS a few years ago, and when I finally went to use them a few months ago I didn't get a good crimp using the regular RBY dies for insulated terminals. IIRC the terminal kind of squirted out of the jaws sideways. Happened twice in a row, so I ended up soldering and heatshrinking (not an automotive application). I seem to have thrown away the mis-crimped terminals; should have saved them to look at how they failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kastein posted:

I use a regular old ratchet crimper. It does damage the heatshrink a little but not too badly. I picked up an astro 9477 crimper that I love for many things including regular rby. I haven't tried it on heatshrink butt splices but they do make an A1 quick change die for it too that's designed for rby heatshrink splices, though I've only bought the H6 and H7 dies for it (besides the five sets of dies it comes with) so far.

Yeah the one I was using is just a regular no-name ratcheting crimper with the common RBY dies. If you have good success with these, I'll try them again next time. Must have been a fluke. Thanks!

That Astro kit looks pretty nice, I'll keep them in mind for when I need to buy my own instead of just using the stuff work issues to me.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kastein posted:

They look like mine too.

The astro one was suggested to me by a guy on sloppy mechanics. I haven't had reason to use anything but my h6 and h7 dies so far which work really nicely, I used them to make a maf adapter cable to plug a truck maf into my van harness. Hoping I can find dies for all the other stuff I do, it's nice not having to unscrew and rescrew the bolts holding the dies in like on a regular ratchet crimper.

We have one of these Click-n-crimp things at work that is pretty convenient for the same reason, but it goes one step further and holds several sets of dies in the handle for easy access.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9jAcppzSOQ

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
can't you get from the transmission what gear it thinks it's in, which presumably is what is displayed on your display, and instead lock out your TC lockup in first? like use a relay to inhibit that signal unless you're in 2 3 or 4

i think on TJs it's just a parallel binary readout, so you could use a CMOS decoder to get the individual readouts and build your logic on top of that

assuming it's the same on XJs, which, idk

maybe im thinking of shifter position instead of trans gear. but still, it should be available in some fashion if your display knows what it is

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
fair enough. im super abesnt-minded, so if theres a way for me to automate away the possibility of doing a dumb, that would be the way to go for me. luckily it sounds like you can trust your brain better, lol

except starter neutral interlocks, those are annoying