Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Given that you've already listed most of the items I'd default to checking, I have two considerations: intermittent harness problem (probably power or ground) to the PCM, or a module such as the cluster internally faulted and sending garbage data to the PCM it doesn't know what to do with/interfering with the PCM's power somehow. If the PCM does control the alternator voltage, and the voltage regulator circuit loses power, I'm guessing it would just cease regulating and your voltage would skyrocket. You say the PCM tests good, have you actually tried a new PCM to see if the problem persists? If the voltage regulator has an intermittent failure allowing the voltage to go that high it could very well cause all sorts of persistent and infuriatingly nonsensical problems all over the vehicle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

The nature of all of the faults scream power, ground, or control issue to me. I'm leaning on the PCM or PCM harness being at fault. Does the PCM have to be programmed or is it a straight drop-in?

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Krakkles posted:

Annnnnd, nope.

I figure they probably won't let me return it, but it's worth a try, maybe.

Sorry, stevobob, I was getting all hopeful and starting to worry about how I could establish that you were at least 21 and I therefore wouldn't be breaking a law by shipping a bottle of booze to you.

I guess harness (which, to be fair, was also his idea) is the only thing left, but I don't have the slightest idea how to troubleshoot it farther than I have - continuity checks to ground from appropriate PCM pins.

Oh, what a disappointment. I thought being at least partially confident was ok. Well, for a full harness check, I'd start at one place - probably the PCM - and just check along the whole harness with my eyes and hands. If there's no easily detectable trouble spots (chafe points, suspiciously flexible or stiff sections) I'd probably start trying to unwrap the harness. That is the lovely time consuming part and might again not turn up anything actionable.

Wiring problems, especially intermittent, usually won't be uncovered by continuity checks. If there's an intermittent short between a power and signal wire, continuity checks to ground from the PCM end of the harness will be good and won't turn up anything suspicious. There is the potential of something else on the PCM's 12v input line loving up and causing a voltage drop that is enough to trip the PCM to shut off momentarily. Are you able to post the PCM wiring harness diagram, with its power inputs and grounds?

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

What a hell of a find, I've located a few similar looking culprits and the immediate gratification and confidence that moment inspires is indescribable. Glad you found it. As for credit, anyone could suggest a harness problem - it's kind of catch-all and that was pretty much my only contribution because i got here first :v: if votes matter then charitable donation, absolutely - I tend to lean towards "your local dog rescue/no-kill shelter" as my suggested recipient.

I'd also second Ferremit's suggestion of just lopping off that leg of harness and splicing the whole thing in, which will make for one splice per wire instead of two after having spliced in a mismatched wire. I understand your preference to maintain social distance though and applaud your willingness to dive in and tackle it. It may seem slightly daunting, but I'm glad you said you're basically comfortable with it - think of it as just a wire splice, which you've done a million more times - but a bunch of em. Piece of cake. Continuity check as you go if you get antsy about anything.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Krakkles posted:

In a moment of genius, I donated to my local shelter without checking that they were actually no-kill, because I thought they were. Turns out they're not. I'm searching to find an actual no-kill and will match the donation there, and hopefully this lets this one keep some alive a little longer also. Hopi likes your suggestion:

Thank you for this. I like Hopi. :3: