Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Krakkles posted:

The bold part is accurate - the PCM does control alternator voltage. That's not a bad idea. It did occur to me that when I sent the PCM in to get tested, they may well simply not have tested it long enough or in the particular fashion that would induce the problem - it DOES lately seem like heat is more of a factor, so totally plausible.

Shopping for PCMs. Still totally open to ideas and will update as soon as I can (might take a bit to get one, but it looks like they're on eBay for not crazy amounts of money).

Yeah the ebay one might cost you some $ - but if swapping it doesn't resolve your issues then you can just put it right back on ebay in the same packaging and the cost to you will be minimal/zero - and if it does fix it then from your checklist it looks like it will be totally worth it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

rdb posted:

Yeah, when the problem is occuring, unplug things one by one and note the changes.

It could be any module or sensor pulling down the 5v reference. Instrument cluster as well. Since its loving with the gauge readings, which appear to come from data on the ccd bus, I would suspect its one of those modules doing both. But that could be wrong, could just be an intermittent shorted sensor somewhere causing everything to go nuts since they all run off 5v. I would literally try unplugging everything you can and see what changes. All the modules and sensors.

That ccd bus will require an oscilloscope to check. Hooking a multimeter up to it wont tell you much, unless its totally dead.

I'm no expert but if it was a sensor loving about then wouldn't most of them likely trigger a CEL with a recorded error code?

How much poo poo can you unplug and still start the car?

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Krakkles posted:

This might be a dumb question, but would something like this provide sufficient information to help? I'm not going to buy a $300 oscilloscope, but if a $30-50 unit will help at all, I'm more than down.

You can get a cheap USB oscilloscope too - it is just a box with probes and it displays in the software on a laptop. I bought myself one to diagnose issues with a single sensor. I'm not sure you are there yet - but they are handy to have!

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

You can get cloth tape for wrapping looms which is great too!

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Krakkles posted:

Surprise midweek update:

So, gently caress bees (this is the same tree):

hey, bees are good! Its wasps/hornets that need to gently caress off! Can you not get a beekeeper to come move them?

If a car starts after major electronic surgery its always a good start! have you just got to re-wrap it now or is there more to check and fix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I have no experience of autoboxes but i assume you can feel it when the torque converter is locked?

Would assume it is like the manual overdrive on my truck which has a "do not use in low gears" warning. I generally forget it the first time i use it on every trip.. until I have to pull off at the first junction I stop at where it becomes very evident that I forgot.

Can you just add an obnoxiously bright LED indicator light to it in addition to the subtle one on the switch?