Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Krakkles posted:

Update: HOPE RESTORED.

Um, sort of, anyway.

I found the problem.

Plug C1 and C2 cross over the bellhousing at the back of the engine, along with the fuel injection harness and probably some other stuff.

I'm impressed it was running as well as it was, frankly.

I'm now taking recommendations on what type of wire to use (I'd like the repair to last another 200k miles, ideally a lot longer). My plan is to cut out the broken section, use heat seal crimps to add in some high quality wire and extend it enough that I can run it through a bracket (also to be worked out) which will keep it up off the engine.

Also, I'm unsure who should get credit for this. rdb definitely put the time in, stevobob first said harness, and kastein pointed to the right part of the harness. I welcome public opinion, and if the three of you are amenable to it, I'd love to get you each a gift card to some sort of alcohol outlet appropriate to your area, or a donation to a charity of your choice? doesn't have to be alcohol, just feels celebratory
Congrats. Type E wire gets my nod. Tell me the gauge and color, I may have what you're looking for. Heatsink crimp butt splices?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Krakkles posted:

Looks like this also goes by MIL-W-16878? I'm finding results but nothing on the sites I know (waytek, to be honest).

Thank you - I'm probably not going to match colors, unfortunately - there's probably 35 or so wires running through here, mostly 18g and some 14g, but all different colors. My general plan is that because this will be a short run with appropriate colors at either end, I'll do it all in black, and mark/build access to either end of that. It's not ideal, but it's more important to get the wires repaired and up out of that area.

So, I mean, if you want to drop me a few feet of black (or, honestly, whatever, I'll heatshrink all of this, too) 18g and significantly less 14g (I think 3/35 are 14, the rest are all 18), I'd definitely take you up on that.

For crimps, my plan is these 3M adhesive lined heat shrink butts.

Thank you either way :)
Yup, MIL-W-16878 /4 NEMA HP-3
It's great wire. Spendy, but great. Teflon jacket, silver plated conductors, finely stranded, and rated to 260°C. I'll put together a package, I keep all my cutoffs: https://youtu.be/p7jbtIbZKwQ

Not sure if I've got 14G, but I'll check. I certainly have 16-26g. You could go all Mil-Spec and do it all in white. :discourse:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Fire away. I've been pretty open about what I do for a living. Glad they arrived, and good luck with the wiring.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Looking good. It's a shame you didn't solder any of it, that Type E wire solders like a dream. Looks like plenty of length to tuck things away, and hopefully it takes care of the issue!