Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Linux Fairy
Apr 7, 2005

With just some glitter and a wink, your data will be turned into a 40GB looping .gif of penguins fucking.

Krakkles posted:

It looks like voltage is probably monitored via the Generator Field (+) wire (first image in this post), as that's fed directly from the alternator to the PCM. I opened up the back of the PCM connectors, back probed that wire, and proceeded to dick around with stuff for about 30 minutes while it absolutely did not overcharge. It was later in the day, so assuming I'm right about temperature playing a part, that may be why.
To try to induce the problem, I turned everything I could think of on - offroad lights, HVAC, radio all the way up - and you could watch the voltage drop ... it dropped from 13.6 to ~12.7 immediately, then trickled down from there to 12.00, where it did finally kick up and start hitting ~15.8v.

So one, I think my battery is absolutely fried, and two, I think that's still overcharging? From what I can find online, it shouldn't go above 14.7v. I'm not sure if 15.8v is normal if the PCM is panicking about a dying battery, perhaps.

Dropping in as someone with no domain specific experience, but with a good idea still of how generators of this nature work...

The "field" wires are how the PCM tells the alternator how much powaahhhh to put out. The idea is that you put a small amount of current into the field wires (current flows from "field +", through the alternator, and out into "generator driver"), and you get a lot of current out of the generator. So you wouldn't be sensing from the generator field connections, but those connections do tell you how much power the generator is being commanded to make. From your copy and paste, "This is done by cycling the ground path to control the strength of the rotor magnetic field.". This tells me that the + wire should always be connected to battery voltage, so it's not a surprise that the + is always at 15.8V. But the "generator driver" wire (not the "field +" wire) should vary between 0 and 14V -- when the PCM is asking the generator to pump out as much as it can, it will be close to 0, and when the PCM is asking the generator to do nothing, the wire should be around 14V.

Presumably the PCM is sensing battery voltage through its own + and its own ground. This all kind of points to the idea of a bad PCM ground (which would explain it getting confused and commanding the alternator to full rear end in a top hat mode, but doesn't explain why it lets the battery droop so bad to begin with). When the rest of the battery bus measures at 15.8V, I'd be interested to see what that measurement looks like as close to the PCM as possible (ideally, inside the PCM if you can) -- between V+ on the PCM, and V- on the PCM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU