Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Or the battery temp sensor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Charging issues are a common enough issue on Mopar that there's plenty of companies that make standalone voltage regulator kits.

Here's one that turned up on Google. I can't vouch for them, but they claim to (usually) be able to keep the CEL from coming on with it.

I'd much prefer fixing the issue properly, but you've already replaced the alternator, battery, and PCM. It's gotta be something either really obscure, or something buried in the harness.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Javid's was a hack job (and that's putting it nicely) by the PO though, this is a relatively straightforward kit.

There's no telling what's going on with the shifting until it stops overcharging. Maybe unplug the field connector and drive around a little bit (during the day and with all accessories off, no heat or AC)? You'll be running purely on battery power, so you don't want to do this for more than, say, 15 minutes, but if it shifts fine, then you can probably start considering that the shifting issues are caused by the overvoltage.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 25, 2020

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Krakkles posted:

it definitely shifts fine when it first starts, and the onset of loss of shifting matches the first time in overvolts in every case I've observed.

The fact that the voltage is kicking up high enough to gently caress with the rest of the electronics is pretty telling, IMO.

Electronics can usually handle overvoltage better than undervoltage, but 17-18 volts is considerably over the ~13-15 volts they're expecting when you consider they're expected to work with as little as 10-11 volts. Still, if the rest of the electronics have survived, the TCM probably has as well (maybe with a severely shortened lifespan).

I'm no engineer, and no Mopar toucher, just a shadetree guy that happens to know a little more about electrical than most shadetree types (but not a ton more) - rdb or kastein would certainly be more knowledgeable. I'm just basing this on my own experiences with pissed off charging systems.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 25, 2020

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

All those wires coming off of the positive terminal are fused nearby, right? :ohdear:

With so many accessories, you may want to add a fuse block to tidy it up, but that's something to deal with after the charging fuckery is figured out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Tomarse posted:

I have no experience of autoboxes but i assume you can feel it when the torque converter is locked?

Speaking for at least a stock 4 speed auto in 3 different cars, yeah, it feels a little like it shifted into "5th". The RPMs are very locked to speed unless you give it enough throttle to unlock. Some cars will give a bit of a shudder if it's up there in years. Brokeback is particularly aggressive about getting into 4th quickly, then locking up the TC. (it usually locks up around ~40 MPH).

Or if you're a late 80s/early 90s GM FWD automatic, it'll lock up and refuse to unlock. Always fun coming to a stop after a highway run - engine just stalls. The PITA fix is dropping the pan and replacing the solenoid. The easy fix is just unplugging the solenoid (usually a 3 pin connector under the air intake tubing somewhere). ATF temps ran a little higher, MPG went down slightly on the highway, but no CEL. My ex's 91 Cavalier wagon had that issue, it went through 4 different loving shops before he asked me about it (TBF he had the car long before we hooked up). I only remembered it because of FidoNet of all places.

Me: "I know exactly what to unplug to get it running and driving" *unplug*
Car: gently caress you, I've been parked for 4 years, I demand a new fuel pump, new fuel, new injectors, and tie rod ends. But at least I'm not gonna stall anymore!
Ex: Well at least it doesn't stall anymore.

Somehow the AC still worked after being parked that long, too.

e: I knew it'd been parked for at least 4 years, but had no idea how old the tires were. Thankfully he normally insisted I drive pretty much everywhere (I mean FFS, I even took his dad to the airport, in his dad's car... runs in the family, they hated rain and hated driving). He had some anxiety about driving and generally had me drive everywhere... back tire went POP about a week later around ~70 mph. Car tried to go sideways, but it's a loving Cavalier wagon, handling was not its strong suite. I'm pretty sure if he'd been driving, we would have wound up bad side up.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 3, 2021