Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
1989 Ford Ranger 4x2 5 speed 2.3L. Bought in 2002 for $500, sold in 2003 for $500. Red with a black and tan interior. Very rusted, very slow. I grew up in the mountains of Southern VT and drove ~12mi to school. It was awful in the snow because I was 16 years old and didn't have money to put snow tires on it.

1996 Nissan Maxima SE 5 speed. Bought in 2003 for $3700, sold in 2007 for $750. Classic mid-90s Japanese sedan color combo of green over tan cloth interior with GOLD PACKAGE It was a great car, but had a bunch of deferred maintenance that I did not catch. Learned a lesson. Very reliable. Great, smooth powertrain with the VQ30DE. Fast, practical, pretty fun to drive. Ended up needing new suspension bushings, calipers, and a few other things by 2007, and I was a poor college student who had no real need of a car so I sold it on to a Bulgarian dude who wanted a car for his wife. Started some small wrenching with this car.

2010 BMW 128i 6 speed. Leased in 2010, kept through 2013 and end of lease. Deep Sea Blue metallic over black, sport package and heated seats. I miss this car. It drove really well and was my first exposure to BMW. I got a job that paid ~50% more than I was expecting out of school and so I picked this up with some of my spare money. Not the best with money decision for a 23 year old, but lease rates were really good and I think I paid $350/mo zero money down. The car was a little too good - not super exciting around town. Moved it from Boston to DC to North Carolina as work took me around. Drove it all over, up skiing in snowstorms where it performed really well. My wife kind of learned to drive stick in this car.

2013 Ford Focus ST 6 speed. Bought in 2013, sold in 2019. Black over black. This was a pretty good car, and I told myself I would buy it if Ford brought it to the US. Not particularly reliable - a long series of campaigns and recalls. Particular low notes were when the ignition cut off on I-93S in Dorchester, MA at highway speeds due to a wiring harness problem. Also had grounding / vampire issues. Also had a recall on door latches that was never resolved. Sync was bad. It was fun to drive and reasonably practical but kind of a sub optimal set of compromises. The interior design was particularly wasteful. My wife really learned to drive stick in this car. I got tired of the road noise and ride harshness after moving to Michigan. I decided I hated black cars, too.

2000 BMW E39 M5. Bought in 2018 as a sort of pre-wedding stress related impulse buy for myself. Imola Red over Imola Red. Picked up a bunch of deferred maintenance (sway bar end links, thermostat, belts, valve cover gaskets, front struts, rear sway bar bushings, steering wheel misalignment) but it has been quite reliable thus far and is my summer daily.

2019 Volkswagen Golf Alltrack 6 speed. Bought in 2019 to replace the Focus. VW was giving out absurd deals on finance and they offered me like $1300 more for the Focus than I wanted. Silk Blue over tan interior. Our winter daily driver/practical car. Very practical, well designed interior, decent to drive, CarPlay and all that jazz. great driving appliance without being stupendously dull. Will probably see us through the birth of children in a couple years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU