Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Hey folks, I only just found out this sub exists.

I recently picked up my first sports game that isn't MMA related whatever hockey game the Dreamcast had - MLB The Show 2021

I'm having fun, but holy loving God there is so much to absorb.

I've played one or two online games, but I'm going up against all Diamond lineups while mine is bronze or worse. I managed to win a couple, but I'm dumbfounded why I cannot access one of my two squads. Am I missing something about ranked play?

Also, making all the missions and moments for the Votto card add up to 98 is just loving cruel. Now I have to go unlock a million old monthly players to qualify with the collections or whatever. I want Votto, God drat it!

Baseball Tax for the Baseball Gods -

Roberto Colon not being a playable character is a crime against humanity, by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

jabro posted:

Calling him Roberto ranks right up there with it.

I know it’s auto-correct.

gently caress me, my cell phone is an rear end in a top hat.

TheFlyingLlama posted:

all of the monthly rewards require the collection, and all of those require doing that month's worth of topps now missions. Kinda a pain, but it really assumes more that you'd be doing over the course of the month than all at once.

For the bronze diamond thing honestly I'd suggest waiting to go online until you have finished most of Team Affinity 3 and the high diamonds that come with it. Obviously you don't have to, but it'll even the playing field a bit first

So I'm not able to just roll in with the cards I've already collected? I've got an all diamond roster, but I'm seemingly unable to access it in ranked games. I just get a hodgepodge of bronze players.

Another question - Does putting your Create-A-Character in Diamond Dynasty help level them? Getting my player character leveled is a loving slog. I also do closing pitching and haven't given up a run in twelve appearances, so being at 67 seems odd.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

TheFlyingLlama posted:

okay that is really weird. Make sure you're not like, switching lineups or something before you play, but any card you own should be playable in ranked seasons and I don't know why they wouldn't.

That's actually good to know, because it means I'm doing something wrong.

I only have two rosters - One of all my best guys, then another for completing Missions. I don't have a bum roster.

Time to figure out what my dumbass is doing badly.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

ALFbrot posted:

Supposedly, yes. Last time I played, My Player missions were broken and would never increment or advance in Road to the Show past a certain point, so I slogged through two minor league seasons while never advancing beyond ~68. Some people had some success by slotting their player into a DD lineup and playing vs the CPU, but my guy just seemed permanently stuck. I don't know if they patched it in the last month, but your post suggests that they haven't. Very Cool System

Don't get me wrong - I'm really enjoying the game. It's apparently the second best selling game this year.

But some of the interface and mission tracking is mind boggling. I find myself having to wind back and forth through menus, then look up player positions on my phone, then gently caress around with line ups, all to just attempt a simple "Get Five Hits with Blank" type of deal. Heaven forbid I can just search with a player.

To play in ranked games, it turns out I had to press Start. It was hidden in the top corner.

Also, you cannot see your equipment when you get the option to choose new equipment.

I'm way into baseball, but a lot of these states are lost on me. I have to check reddit for simple explanations of K/9 vs BB/9 vs whateverthefuck. Seems like they could have a little pop up if you highlight it.

Your archetype locks your position. For whatever reason, I cannot get the loving game to accept my guy as a DD relief pitcher.

It's frustrating. Fun as hell, but frustrating.

Also, gently caress some of those Moment challenges. But I might just be too old to take proper advantage of them.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Simple Question - What's the best use of stubs? I've hoarded about 70k because I can't really grasp what their best use should be. Buying diamond equipment for my ballplayer? Or just opening pack after pack of no-name no-picture level 52s?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

TheFlyingLlama posted:

the best answer is flipping on the market until that 70k stubs becomes like 3 million, but most of us cannot be bothered to deal with that. After that it's mostly going to be buying the best diamond equipment for a player until you have one of each of the best and then probably just outright buying whatever players you want for your team.

stubs are...weirdly kinda less useful this year because so much of the top/near top level content has been free/grindable. chipper/mookie are legit great but honestly the free guys available in TA3 and some of the programs are a pretty drat good team too

I just want a bat better than the one I got with the cross console package. Yeah, +8/+8 is great, but I'd rather have something cooler than a wraparound black and white picture of Hank Aaron. I wish you could just put whatever bat "skin" on another bat, because I have some that are downright snazzy.

I was using a +6/+6 bat because it had roses on it, until I read about how each little point is worth a lot in those categories.

Side Note - I've got my character in Road to the Show up to 73. In Diamond Dynasty, he is still stuck at 65. Not sure if I'm loving something up or not, because that doesn't seem right.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

TheFlyingLlama posted:

when you roster him in DD he's always going to look like a 65 overall, despite whatever equipments or loadouts you have set on him, but in actual gameplay he'll be whatever he's supposed to be. You can also set a "team" bat skin that I'm pretty sure will override whatever the player himself is using for a bat, but it only allows the skins and not the actual bats themselves, and also sets everyone else on the team has to use that bat skin.

Ahhh, so if he is a 73 he will still read at a 65? For reasons?

At least I can play him without panicking about tanking the team. I pitched him in a two inning close and managed to blank the opposition with my little league pitches.

Thank you for the bat skin tip. I cannot stand the "Bought with the Special Edition!" blinking red light that is the bat I'm using.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
I've got a question for those of you playing -

On an average day, what game modes do you play? I'm mostly interested in trying to get through "quest" progressions and poo poo like that. I end up doing the daily moments, Road to the Show, then work on a conquest map before I smash the Rockies for a game to get hits with all the players who need them.

The frustrating thing is a complete lack of being able to click on a player card and see what tasks need to be done with them. "Oh, I need to hit four XBHs for Field of Dreams and 12 bases for NL League Progression."

Trying to page through the labyrinth of menus about which players need to do what, when half the time you don't even know if you've unlocked them yet, is infuriating.

I'm loving the game itself, but being driven mad by the unintuitive poo poo.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Woo! I finally unlocked Byron Buxton! From April! Because I only recently realized I needed to do the Topps Now moments to unlock the rest of the poo poo. All I want is my boy Joey Votto.

God, some of the loving moments drive me up the wall. Three XBHs in one game on veteran or worse can gently caress right off. poo poo, it can gently caress right off on Rookie.

Spoeank posted:

I was doing daily moments then jamming through Nation of Baseball to get the cards to sell on the market, but they nerfed that. Now I'm doing Daily Moments and the Extra Innings since they've added 4-5 achievements for that.

The baseball is mostly secondary to my desire to catch em all at this point.

As for tracking stuff, I have a notebook that'll say like
TEAM AFFINITY 69
NL West
HR w/Rookie Buster Posey 3 2 1

Then I check the progress after the game and mark em off as I go along

Christ, this is what I feared. A game that needs a loving notebook to track quests. Sure seems like they could do better at that.

Is there any advantage to getting a full set of cards for a team? Is it worth trying to game the market for poo poo? That sounds like more computer and notebook work that I'm not sure I'm interested in doing.

Stefan Prodan posted:

On reddit people will put up spreadsheets you can copy and then tick off as you go, such as:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1f6dN2REi-1w4IJbMIjgkzzxjV_-12CSR/edit#gid=2095555392

Beautiful! I appreciate the link.

Also, where do we send a letter writing campaign to get Bartolo Colon in the game? I want my two way RTTS player to have his ridiculous "Fat Guy Throwing Hard Enough to Herniate Something Important" pitching form.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Question - I love smashing the Rockies on rookie once a night, but that's about 45 minutes or more of my limited gaming time. Is there a better way to level up all your progressions/quests/whatevers?

I'm looking forward to the next year, because I'll get the game on release. This is a big clusterfuck of differing progressions and card types that almost all require googling poo poo on my cell phone. (Why the hell couldn't all the cards just have some little box telling you the specific type for use in progressions?)

I finally got my create a player doofus up to gold relief pitching. Getting to silver slugging spark plug happened faster, but progressing it to gold is taking longer. Doing two way batting/relief pitching means I get a lot less at bats.

I also unlocked diamond Justin Turner from his rookie quest. Woop woop!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
If I can figure out why I don't have access to all my good cards in online play, I might give that a try.

Technically, I'm 2-0 in online play. Both of them had diamond lineups, with me playing with bronze and lower junk. One guy not hit me through five innings in a three inning game, then I cranked a home run and he rage quit. Second guy rage quit after the first, because I managed to contact hit until I got someone home.

If that's how people play, I like my odds.

Weird Question - The gold archetype for Sparkplug Slugger are The Hawk and The Tool Shed. Any opinions on that for a guy who has never stolen a base? The one that has a speed boost is at 78 with my character, while the one I'd prefer with fielding is 73.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
General Question - Now that I have my Create-A-Player fully kitted in diamond gear, I've got about a 250k stubs hanging around and growing.

What do you all mostly use your stubs to buy? I like the progression of unlocking cards, so I'm not sure just buying them would be as much fun. But is that about all there is at a certain point?

God drat, I wish there was a bat better than the God Awful looking Jackie Robinson one that came with the game. But I'm slugging/sparkplug, so an 8+/8+ bat is about the best I can get.

(I did decorate it with grip tape, but it doesn't do much for the ugly barrel.)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
I feel like an old, because after I spend part of my video game time working on my created player I end up playing Conquest. Rapid fire three inning, bite sized games with a bunch of rewards is fun and levels up everything.

Except for the requirements requiring online play. After encountering two rage quitters in my first two games, I'm not sure I want to open up that can of spring loaded bullshit.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

blossommirage posted:

You will quickly grow to hate Marlins pitching prospect Edward Cabrera.

I hate the pitchers who induce endless, ungodly pop ups.

Is he one of those? If so, I hate him.

(I refuse to accept that it is because I'm endlessly trying to hit dingers in every game on veteran or lower difficulty.)

(Also, the Ozzie Smith progression moments "Get on base three times in a game" or "Get eight total bases in four games" can absolutely go to hell. I have zero idea why I cannot complete those loving things.)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

TheFlyingLlama posted:

the secret to the ozzie smith missions is to just drag bunt until you get it.

this is not a joke just trying to bunt cheese the AI was way simpler than actually trying to hit with that freaking card

I'm not sure why I'm even trying to finish it. Probably just the sunk cost fallacy. I cannot imagine he is the type of player I'm putting in a line up when diamond 97+ cards are falling out of Team Affinity poo poo.

God drat what I wouldn't give for a "This card is part of challenges X, Y, and Z where you have to complete X, Y, and Z."

I also had a card earlier of an old rear end player without a visible team emblem on it or the uniform. I needed a specific team in my line up for a challenge. I looked all through the stats and nowhere did it say his team. I ended up giving up, because I refuse to go across the room to my phone to google that poo poo.

This game is fun. But gently caress me it's impossible to keep track of poo poo if you don't start at day one.

blossommirage posted:

Clearing all the conquest maps for TA4 on rookie has ruined my ability to hit online. Do not be like me.

I think it's too late for me. My night is "Daily Moments/Topps Now Moment backlog I'll never finish/Monthly or Player Moments/Road to the Show/Conquest."

I literally don't understand how someone could have time for all the game modes.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Woo, just finished whatever month ended with Marcus Semien. Now all I have to do is :checks notes: All the Topps Now Moments, plus all the Moments for the next two months and I'll be caught up! Well, except for finishing this month.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
What type of batting do you fine folks use? PCI, Directional, or Analogue?

I've just been rolling with directional and doing fine enough. But I've watched multiple Youtube tutorials on directional batting that literally all contradict each other. I was wondering how y'all got along with it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
There are few things as enraging as an impossible moment.

There is one on Rookie with Alex Manoah pitching to Mountcastle. You have to get three hits with one of them being a home run in four at bats. It says game, but it only gives you four at bats no matter what.

Manoah on Rookie is actually loving impossible. He still chucks fastballs at 95+. But he then throws off speed that is so slow and wonky it becomes brain breaking. Not to mention he will just suddenly start throwing balls until you either flail or walk, losing one of your four at bats.

God drat, I've probably put an hour into that moment by now over the course of two days. I just can't get it done.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
After playing a couple hours almost nightly, on this very night I have simultaneously -

- Finished all the Topps Now Moments. All. Of. Them.
- Finished all monthly progressions
- Finished all Team Affinity

I suddenly feel very aimless. I was just splitting half my time between moments and the other half Rookie conquest to smash through quests. I don't really have much interest in getting super sweaty with online PvP, either. I've also leveled up a create-a-player two way spark plug/slugger/filthy painter to diamond and won a World Series with him.

What's next? Just randomly leveling up rookie cards?

Side Note - I almost have a million stubs. Just buying cards feels like cheating, so the only stuff I've used stubs for is RTTS gear. Haven't bought any packs or players yet.

Edit - I've also earned seven or so Allstar Game White Packs. All but one of them have been a choice between 95 Hendricks or Bogarts. I feel beyond hosed by RNG, unless I'm missing something.

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Oct 11, 2021

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Part of what put me off is the two games I played involved -

- Me somehow getting stuck with a roster of bronze and lower players, while my opponents were running diamond players.
- Both opponents rage quitting when I scored. I use directional batting because the PCI is way, way too sensitive to move around. Apparently, this angers people when they start losing to it.

If I could figure out why I wasn't able to use my rosters of pretty God damned good players, I'd give it another whirl.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Stefan Prodan posted:

Can you record you trying to use your diamond players, like how you go into the game? We could probably tell pretty fast what you're doing wrong

I'll give it a try and see what happens. It confused the gently caress out of me.

Stefan Prodan posted:

I'm also not positive that your opponent can see whether you're even using directional or not?

Doesn't directional just sort of "pick" a PCI spot for you randomly? That's what it used to do back in the day

Directional gives you less control, as you pick a direction and the rest is down to timing. The entire reason I dropped PCI was how loving sensitive it was. It felt like even looking at the control sticks would make the PCI suddenly rocket past the spot I needed.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Stefan Prodan posted:

Yeah but like at least in the past I dunno if it still does, there is still a PCI internally, except with directional it's just random

That's why everyone is saying you're going to have to eventually use PCI, when the PCI gets real small directional just won't get you hits very often even if your timing is real good

And yeah it's very sensitive, that's why people get Kontrol Freekz or however that stupid poo poo is spelled, they actually do help a lot

I use a Series Two Elite controller, so I have different stick lengths and can tighten or loosen the sticks. But God drat, after a few days I noped right out of using PCI. Which is funny, because I've used it in other games without it being too big of a deal.

I just realized I've only done the Rookie to Diamond thing with Scherzer, Justin Turner, and Miggy Cabrera. I've got Ozzie Albies down to the last moment, but getting three hits in four at bats against whatever team it is has been loving impossible. No matter what the difficulty, it always feels like the fielding is run my robots with laser arms and cheetah reflexes.

Side Note - Moments on Rookie with a primarily off speed pitcher are harder than All Star difficulties. Trying to get good contact on balls going at a snail's pace while dropping a foot is infuriating.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
I just realized I have about 100k more experience to finish out the 7th inning program before it closes in a day or two, so I'm holding off on the online play until that wraps up.

Is there a faster way to rack up XP than conquest? Because I'm almost done with both the 7th conquest maps.

I've got to admit, while it was confusing having three to four seasons of team affinity going at once, in addition to all the monthly poo poo, I miss having a ton of boxes to check. A lot of the Player Programs require poo poo I'm never going to do. Mostly beating teams on All Star and poo poo. Nine innings is a lot of time for something that could drat well not go my way.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Spoeank posted:

Extra Innings has some tucked away missions that require some custom lineup tweaking but are easy to garner points for. Bonus of getting the sweet sweet current 4x gameplay xp bonus too.

Turns out finishing those conquest maps did the trick.

I got another All Star Game pack. With loving 95 Hendricks or 95 Bogarts for something like the eighth god damned time!

Is there a reason? Or am I just that unlucky with RNG?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
I now have over a million stubs.

I should probably spend some of them.

Also, teams like the Dodgers on Rookie are somehow harder to beat. Stupid pitching stuff happens, then they go into Matrix mode once any ball is hit.

The computer also broke and the opposing right fielder started fake throwing over and over like he was having a seizure for a solid thirty seconds while the crowd noise died out.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Played my first four online games in months. Managed to win the first one on my last out, one behind, with a walk off 2 run homer and it felt pretty sweet. Then proceeded to get absolutely curb stomped in the next three matches.

But what the gently caress is this weird rear end seemingly random strike and ball counts? When I'm immediately having to pitch to a Parallel Five Tito Ortiz with a 3-2 count, I might as well let him go ahead and run around the bases.

Side Note - Having to get three XBHs with 41 speed and 42r/26l hitting power Rookie Molina to unlock his diamond card is loving brutal.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Grem posted:

For player programs do the collections, moments, then beat the team on all star. I don't think that's an option for Yadi but you can play Baltimore on rookie at Shippet and do the catcher home runs. That should get you there.

I actually managed to get the last one yesterday, somehow knocking a home run out with him. I'm deep into Player Programs now, having done about a half. I've not done any requiring an All Star game win and I'm assuming that's a nine inning game? I'm not sure how hard that is or isn't, but I'll probably try it in the next day or two.

I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around these seemingly random ball/strike counts in the online games. It really changes poo poo, when a lot of my pitching style relies on deceptive painting. Instant 3-2 takes out the guesswork.

I am hopeless when people start doing these elaborate base stealing maneuvers. Have a tied game in extra innings where a guy got a base hit, then somehow managed to steal home. I still don't know exactly what happened, but it was ugly.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Stefan Prodan posted:

It sounds like you are playing an event with quick counts, no other game mode is gonna have random balls and strikes

That has to be it. I don't know what sort of logic they follow, but it seems to be the only option in the main Postseason Event mode.

Finally unlocked All Star Starting Pitcher Othani. :woop:

I decided to attempt the Royals on All Star for the new Player Program and ended up stomping them 9-0. This sounds strange, but it was almost easier? Timing the pitches wasn't as hard and the CPU fielding was the same as it always is - flawless robots who never make mistakes and run like cheetahs.

I think the pitching might have been a little more sensitive, but I pitched a full game shut out with Robbie Ray.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Grem posted:

Playing on rookie or even veteran really fucks up my timing. I do rookie and veteran moments after online play, because if I play online after everything moves at light speed for a few innings.

It's the fact that off speed pitches are ridiculously slow, while fastballs can still zip pretty well.

I'm about halfway through the Player Programs. I still need to do the Field of Dreams Showdown, which I keep managing to lose. But compared to when I first got the game, I'm running out of non-online content to do.

I've also ruined myself by refusing to start any players with lower than 90 speed. My two exceptions are Hank Aaron on first base (81 speed) and All Star Zunihno on catchers (67 speed.) I keep unlocking monsters, but I have a hard time justifying taking someone like Mickey Mantel or Month Award Tyler O'Neil since I learned The Secret.

My bench is full of bombing chonkers, though.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
You know what bugs me?

I've leveled up my two way Create-A-Player to diamond in both sparkplug (85) and as a closing pitcher (91).

But my "baseball card" still lists me as a bronze 65. What's up with that?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Sorta sucks to dump all that time into a player and have a card on par with some guy who got called up from Single A for half an inning because of Covid.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
I recently realized you could collect teams and unlocked Chipper. As cool as it was to unlock Tito and all those big cards, the only one going on my main squad is Alfonso Soriano. He had a 93 speed and 100+ batting states, which beats out Hank Aaron's 81 speed.

Picking up all the spare odds and ends, I realized something.

How do people go about selling their cards on the market? Do you have to keep your laptop or cell phone open nearby to check trending prices? Or is there an easier way to do it? I understand the concept of selling things, just not the easiest way to do it.

I've getting closer to get Mookie unlocked, so I'm trying to figure out the best route to get that done.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

MJBuddy posted:

Easiest way is to just use the browser once every so often and clear my inventory of cards I'm looking to move. Flipping is more intensive and absolutely only do that on a computer to protect your thumbs.

Ah, that's what I feared. Considering I've got Chipper and are a couple of cards away from Mookie, my need to buy poo poo is pretty low. I've still got 700+ stubs in the bank.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
9th Inning drops in a few days. This being my first MLB The Show, is that the last relevant content drop until the next one comes out? I have no idea how closely the schedule for these games mirrors the actual baseball season.

I'm hoping to squeeze another month out of the game before I get consumed by the next Battlefield. But gently caress me, I'd like to find the God damned new Xbox Series X for a big game like that.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Hell yeah! An awesome new Buster Posey card!

Double hell yeah! I unlocked him in one game with three Giant homers against an All Star Kershaw after blitzing through all the Moments! I never get through poo poo this fast!

*He has a speed of 17, slower than Votto*

:stare:

Guess I'll go back to my Tier Three Pudge with a 74 speed, who is the only sub 92 speed player I keep as a starter.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

blossommirage posted:

Hello, are you interested in hearing the good word of our lord and savior FS Adley?

Both him and that Glorious Mustache Mike Piazza have greater power. But Pudge has over 110 contact, the godly catcher stats of sentient brick wall, and an over 70 speed.

My team's policy for CPU is A.B.X.B.H.

Always
Be
eXtra
Base
Hitting

It works 95% of the time for everything up to and including All Star.

Showdowns can kiss my rear end, though.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Grem posted:

Kluber got me playing Battle Royale and I can win one game each entry. Super excited to get him just in time for Christmas

I'm lucky if I get one. I somehow got three the other day, then got some useless 76 silver Met pitcher. Woo.

Having unlocked Kershaw, I feel empty. There are no more dragons to chase, so I'll lose interest in this game before much longer.

Out of all the GOAT cards, the only one I've ever used is Mariano Rivera. Dude is a filthy closer.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
I have a very bad record at Battle Royale. With the exception of getting three wins on a card once, I might normally get one. I do manage to almost always score first, then have my opponent discover a magic EVERYTHING IS A HOME RUN button whenever I bring in my high leverage reliever. (gently caress you, Olerud.)

Which is why I find it hysterical when the first XBH or homer run makes my opponent instantly rage quit. Come on, hang in there, bud. I'm not going to win.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
This is the first Season Affinity drop I've been around for and it's a ton of content. Well, content in the form of poo poo to grind out. I ain't complaining. They probably bought another month or two of my time, because Battlefield being a dressed up Hero Shooter doesn't sound like something I need to play immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
What time of year do they typically release the new MLB The Show?

I've enjoyed this game well enough to want in on the ground floor of the next time around.

Also, I'm God awful at online play. But that's about all that's left, if I want to chase cards. I even managed five BR games in a row without a win.

So I am down three runs in the bottom of the third with two outs. Then manage to load the bases. Then hit a grand slam. If my busted rear end can do that, don't loving "your opponent lost their connection" on me. I know I got credit for the win, but I didn't get anything for the grand slam itself towards the missions.

I'm still not sure why it didn't say, "Your Opponent Has Quit."