Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

ALFbrot posted:

Every time I get one of these stupid games, I'm forced to use a plural version of my last name for the announcer audio, as that's the closest available. It always bugs me, especially because my last name is a first name, which is in the game. But I know the reading inflection is different and it would sound really wrong if they let me use the first name. So I dealt with it.

Until today, when I found some AA jobber in RTTS that has my last name! "That's neat," I thought, "it's auto-generating fake players to fill rosters and it added my name to the available name pool. I wonder what announcer audio it uses."

HE'S A REAL PLAYER. MOTHERFUCKING VASGERSIAN SAYS MY NAME RIGHT, AND SO DOES THE STADIUM ANNOUNCER, I JUST CAN'T SELECT IT FROM THE LIST. WHAT THE gently caress SONY

An MLB player has my actual name, except he pronounces it incorrectly. That's not a debate. It's a regional name with a clear origin and his family left the region generations ago and left the proper pronunciation behind.

So if I use my name, they'll have it but also pronounce it wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

maniacripper posted:

Sounds like your clans need to go to war and sort this out.

I just follow and reply to him on twitter asking him why he can't pronounce his own name correctly after every time he promotes things

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

My only new player advice is to move the stick a little off the dead zone before the pitch so you're ready just like the batter and try to see if the ball leaves the pitchers hand going up a little. That'll either be high (FB) or a curve you can sit on.

From there I think it's literally just seeing thousands of pitches.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Honestly the recent moments for HRs had me trying directional based on people's recs and I just prefer it. I get to work the count more, have some more strategy with pitch selection, and less stress on my hands.

So I'm keeping it, for now.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

After the Cruz player event I was just in awe at how I absolutely raked with that card and then I get a high 90s version? Wonderful

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Having a friendly scrim partner to call out your pitch tendencies is probably an amazing perk too. I try to evaluate myself and the game makes it easy for a particular batter but tendances/contact/shift/etc you need more data.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Stefan Prodan posted:

You can also hit down(?) on the dpad to quickly change to bunt defense

I wish I knew more about when to do shifts in baseball, I really have no idea

I even watched the braves a lot as a kid but I didn't play and I mean I feel like you don't actually learn much about the on field strategy stuff by watching as much as you do with football

Usual shorthand is to press start and see the batter tendancy. It used to be looking for extreme pull or extreme push hitters, then shift towards them for pull or away for push.

Then you want to pitch them into your shift, so don't go outside on someone your shifting extreme pull. You want to jam them into a pop up where you have a ton of people or get them to hit a hard grounder, but you want that all the time anyway.

In real life it seems like everyone gets shifted now. At least lefties. The return is diminished. Also in real life it's based on actual spray charts, so you can determine if a player sprays grounders AND/OR fly balls evenly or maybe they pull line drives and grounders but push fly balls. That might mean you want to aggressively shift the infield but keep your OF cheating over. Or swap your LF and CF so you have more range if he pops it up.

It's a fun thing and I wish broadcasts did more to explain each player's tendances and how teams react, because sometimes they don't, even in similar game situations. Like if your pitcher can't really get by pitching inside in an extreme pull and needs to mix in outside breaking pitches, you can't shift the infield because a late tapper is an easy single.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Stefan Prodan posted:

lol speaking of shifts

I was playing BR and some dude comes up with Jesse Winker and instantly bunts down the third base line and I'm like "haha what the hell you dumb rear end" then as soon as he bunts I notice...there's nobody within 50 feet of 3rd base and he just easily gets on 1st.

Was he able to do this because he just knew that the CPU will auto do an extreme shift towards 1st if you have it on auto shift? I couldn't even see that my defense was doing that. Are there other players this works with?

Would that have worked basically every time or did I just get unlucky that Winker and his presumably low bunting didn't just bunt it right to my pitcher or foul?

Yes when you're batting if you get the R3/RS to view defensive alignment prompt in means there's a shift on.

For years people have begged Gallo to just lay one down third base and in the Show you just can!

It works okay. You don't need to be fast but bunt skill isn't high on those players so you probably average about 1/3 to put it there vs CPU.

But then you get a big slow guy on first and eh, touch choice? Great for speedy players though and playing TB/Hits/OB moments.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

I won't say it's obvious, but it's in the same point as when people say "watch the ball out of the hand."

Batters have to make a decision almost immediately if they're going to swing, and if you see the ball release slow/fast/with a little rise/gunning straight down/moving away on an opposite hand pitcher you can make a pretty immediate call with what you should do, especially if you plan on what you're looking for (sitting on slider, fb, etc).

It's not easy just because I can type it out, and I'll misread pitches too because that's part of the arensal and with enough break the pitches will all look like they're coming right into a sweet spot.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

blossommirage posted:

What's different about the PS5 version? Every video I've seen it seems pretty similar except you have to play in ugly custom stadiums online.

On my Series X, 60 fps and high rez is nice. Hitting is easier (also I've improved at hitting, so a bit of placebo).

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

80 speed is fine to abuse the game anyway. I would rather a 75 overall with 84 speed in Showdown than a 90 with 20 speed.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Captain Log posted:

I recently realized you could collect teams and unlocked Chipper. As cool as it was to unlock Tito and all those big cards, the only one going on my main squad is Alfonso Soriano. He had a 93 speed and 100+ batting states, which beats out Hank Aaron's 81 speed.

Picking up all the spare odds and ends, I realized something.

How do people go about selling their cards on the market? Do you have to keep your laptop or cell phone open nearby to check trending prices? Or is there an easier way to do it? I understand the concept of selling things, just not the easiest way to do it.

I've getting closer to get Mookie unlocked, so I'm trying to figure out the best route to get that done.

Easiest way is to just use the browser once every so often and clear my inventory of cards I'm looking to move. Flipping is more intensive and absolutely only do that on a computer to protect your thumbs.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

I had to make a call and it was churning after the WS event. Finished last inning but here's hoping it's back on game pass next year so I can lose another 500 hours to it.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Buried in there is full cross progression. So if you play on multiple platforms or just want the switch version to run franchise mode you can hot swap profiles.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

I'm stuck waiting for next week because SDS didn't have a game pass deluxe upgrade tier like Forza.

But yeah I'm staring at the game daily now excited to bust some packs.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Oh I'm so loving hyped but that is 10 more than I wanted to pay for it

E: man you just made my loving day

MJBuddy fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 1, 2022

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Seasons this year are going to reward innings played to combat rage quitters so that's interesting. I don't know if that makes it more or less fun, yet.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Mrenda posted:

I don't have a console. But this is on XBox's PC thing, or at least the higher tier service. Does that mean I can stream it to my computer with the monthly sub?

There's no PC version, so cloud only.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Mrenda posted:

Is the stream/cloud any good?

Ehhhhh

I did some challenges on cloud last year, and even wired cloud to my PC for a bit. Good to do daily moments but the latency being inconsistent is a big problem for honing a timing based game.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

drat and I was feeling cool and unique for making a disfigured tiny person named dog dick.

Also I equally love this game and hate it more than any other sports game for some reason. Love the detail and general gameplay but getting continually robbed in showdowns is like infuriating

Stack righty-crushing batters and don't swing at anything until 2 strikes.

These final bosses are relievers. They can't make it to 60 pitches without going red so you can just wait them out and then it's just slow meatballs over the plate or walks.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Low key I think the collections and early cards in general are modest compared to last year, but I don't mind the creep to 99 being a little slower

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Seltzer posted:

Last year was my first time playing the show but from what I remember I disagree. I've already got 3 90 rated players in the outfield and a diamond and some good golds just off the program. I never spend money on these games. Oh yeah and 90 Chapman in the bullpen. I think my team is way ahead of where it was last year and I haven't played all that much.

Oh maybe it's because 3 of my FOTF packs had catchers.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

PSA: if you're on Xbox and pinpoint seems hard, or like it's skipping and ending soon, it's probably because of a bug that exists between the current controller firmware and the game. I was finding it impossible to consistently hit my pitching and reverted firmware and am back to dotting everything up.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

You can play wired and solve it apparently.

Anyway my 8-1 start to ranked seasons came back to earth something fierce when I got to all star ranks and I'm not adjusted to the speed yet.

Thanks to the innings goals (my primary goal for the mode, and that I like the 9 inning games feel better), it's not a real big bummer when I have a rough game or even a tough loss. Exceptional way to grind PXP targets too (well, with pitching).

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

With the program focus on PXP, I I've settled on only focusing on pitchers to get the team/divisional ones. So reliable and not slotting in 65 overalls to cover team themes.

That said, I ended up staring very long at Mize in the AL Central pack, but decided on Buxton because of my glorious POTM Buxton memories.

Took him straight to RS and he robbed 2-3 doubles, with 3-4 with a triple, Homer and a steal. Glorious.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

ihatepants posted:

I really wanted to get Buxton with the choice pack, but all my nontradeable FOTF cards were outfielders except for NL West (Cronenworth). Mullins, Acuna, Robert, Haniger and Reynolds were my others. Ended up choosing Clase (who is nasty) even though Buxton was what I really wanted. On the bright side, Haniger, Acuna and Mullins are loving amazing and easily my three best performers on my team.

I got THREE catchers.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Giving away what I think it an edge because I like talking edges more than exploiting them: I've gotten to about 25 wins in Events over the last day and I've only seen two lefty pitchers: a sole Robbie Ray and an infrequent Chapman.

So now I'm loading up my lineup with lefties. Seems like free advantage and all it's costing me is Goldy at first and bench bats my Acuna and Buxton (which hurts) for Benitendi and Kyle Tucker.

I wouldn't do this probably in Ranked? But in Event I'd probably even be fine instant quitting on a lefty to save time because who cares I just want my 25 wins and I'm not gonna win 12 games.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

bewbies posted:

I'm glad the high sinkers have been curtailed a bit. sinkers still don't look like sinkers and they still think it is a different pitch from a two seamer for some reason but maybe this year we'll avoid the curse of Corey kluber or Edward Cabrera.

I wish they'd actually talk to irl pitchers when developing the game though.

otherwise this has been a real good start

I do feel more in a bind with a sinker/slider pitcher vs a lefty this year. Sinker accuracy is pretty bad with all the meta pitchers in general.

That said, same handed I'm having a reasonable time firing sinkers in on the hands over and over and that seems fine.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Stefan Prodan posted:

why do people consider lefty/lefty to be harder than R/R matchup? is it just because you see the matchup less?

physically I find it much easier to quickly move the cursor to the top right than I do the top left so I think lefty/lefty seems easier to me

like I can use my whole base of my thumb to support it by kinda rotating my arm a bit and move it accurately but when I'm doing up/left I have to basically pull that direction with my thumb muscle alone and it feels harder to be precise with

As a pitcher I have trouble doing the thumb rotation and hitting the bottom right spot. It could also be because lefties lack overwhelming power. They're pound for pound worse.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Basically that's why I back burnered BR for Events and Ranked. I can go 50-70% win on events and get two games in at Ranked and get there. BR is both harder, and less consistent in rewards so high chance I put in a lot of time and get nothing.

This week's event will be interesting though since I only have weeknights to hit it. And the auto-team builder glitched on me so I'm having issues creating a viable team. Good news is unlike last year it won't just reset the drat thing.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

the_american_dream posted:

Thank you, I switched to this and haven’t had the issue since

One more thing I’m not sure anyone can actually help with. I really hate the “hit a home run” missions because I feel like I luck into dingers more than anything

Does it actually make a difference doing a power swing over normal? Feels like i whiff on pitches I normally wouldn’t when I go for power. Also I’m guessing I’m not missing any other secret on hitting home runs besides timing on a pitch up. As often as hit a HR is the goal I’m starting to think there’s a home run button I’m not aware of to be pushing

I power swing. Set your cursor inside, and try to be a little early on the pitch. Those contacts will have more power as well.

In a pinch, switch to directional and hold in and up and power swing and work on timing.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Jesus Christ they have to fix the new PCI. People shouldn't be able to hit pitches I throw behind them.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

For the silly practice problem (totally happens to me too but I was aware of it). You can press down on the d pad to call timeout as a batter and then hit the menu up right after so you're not caught up in the non-discernable pitch window.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Either ASAP, when the next big collection drops, or when there's a stub sale. He just had a roster update where his stats actually went up.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Grem posted:

Jesus the programs are coming fast and furious.

I did a few big dog moments and such but back to Moonshot tonight. My Dunn crushing homers got me a good chunk of PxP progress on his own.

Also I don't get it. I'm a .600 Events player but I'm running 80% in this one. Do a ton of fish jump in because it's the fun event?

E: Or alternatively, did the sharks all go back to BR because they shot down the value of Event cards?

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Captain Log posted:

I play about two to three hours a night, and I'm not even at all the Big Dog packs for the Spring Cleaning event yet. I do all the Daily Moments, every conquest, and 100% battle Royale with some other multiplayer thrown in.

Showdowns and their constant "Get a home run in three innings with your completely un-upgraded team!" can kiss me rear end.

Now that I finished all the conquests, what's the best way to grind my cards against the computer that's also productive? I don't know if I've even been completely out of useful conquests to work on.

Edit - I also hosed myself on the April Monthly program. I selected all the pitchers first, thinking they'd be easiest to grind out their 500XP for points. I only got one batter.

Now I'm stuck at "Get 2500xp with Monthly Batters" and have nothing else available. It's going to take a month at this rate.

Mini Seasons is the most lucrative offline mode, but grinding the Mystery Conquest is slightly better for PxP because you can run the same pitchers over and over and face easier pitching from the other team and also bat three times.

For Monthly players, you could buy them up from the store and sell them back once you finish up.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

ihatepants posted:

I'd argue that mini seasons is also the best for (hitter) PxP because you can set your home stadium to those cheese ones that have 300ft distance walls in a stadium with an altitude of 5700 feet.

Look I lost in the playoffs once because an all god squad team popped up homers on me so I avoid that like the plague now.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Kilometers Davis posted:

I miss sports games and have a PS5. Enjoying the hell out of free FIFA made me want more. Should I buy this? I have fond memories of The Show being the first game I got when I bought a PS3 back in the day. Any thoughts on the other EA games and all? Madden, NHL, NBA? Fwiw back around when I stopped playing sports games in 2011ish I still enjoyed most of them and didn’t have complaints like a lot of people did. Plus I assume coming back into them now is going to blow my mind. All I care about is singleplayer stuff like exhibition games + franchise really. Though it seems like this one has an actually good sort of ultimate team or whatever mode too? I would probably get into RTTS too because I love that sort of thing nowadays.

Yeah. I mean if you just want the single player stuff you can go for 21 over 22 and probably save money. The Show is a good game, and I do like the online mode which has just a ton of content and enjoyable power climb without needing to spend.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Kilometers Davis posted:

Nice! Thanks. 22 is on sale for $50 and I’m a sucker for the dualsense features and updated rosters so I’d probably just go with that one.
Tons of content + power climb + not feeling like I need to go all in on micro transactions does sound nice.

There's so much crap in the online mode right now that you'd have about two months of grinding ahead of you to complete it. But also, you could have an all diamond team in less than a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Kilometers Davis posted:

Awesome, sounds great! I just went ahead and bought it. Installing while I do dishes and then gonna jump into the first time I've played The Show in over 10 years :D I'm excited, all the modes actually sound real fun to me as a 99% single player person. I haven't really been interested in the card collecting aspect of most sports games but it's because they're all so greedy or seemingly focused on playing other people with infinitely better teams. Diamond Dynasty from what I understand seems like exactly what I want from that sort of mode, especially on the sp end.

You absolutely never have to play against anyone else. Last year the most PvP I engaged with was market flipping.