Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Tatsuta Age posted:

New all star and hrd cards are so fuckin good and easy to get, hell yeah

The Prince Fielder just effortlessly rakes. It rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
<a million nation of baseball runs later>

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

jabro posted:

Inside the park home runs don’t count for hit a home run goals. That’s some bullshit.

For moments they count. It was pretty much the only way to do the Clemente Dinger Moment like 2 weeks ago. It might have gotten scored as a triple and an error?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Captain Log posted:

I've got a question for those of you playing -

On an average day, what game modes do you play? I'm mostly interested in trying to get through "quest" progressions and poo poo like that. I end up doing the daily moments, Road to the Show, then work on a conquest map before I smash the Rockies for a game to get hits with all the players who need them.

The frustrating thing is a complete lack of being able to click on a player card and see what tasks need to be done with them. "Oh, I need to hit four XBHs for Field of Dreams and 12 bases for NL League Progression."

Trying to page through the labyrinth of menus about which players need to do what, when half the time you don't even know if you've unlocked them yet, is infuriating.

I'm loving the game itself, but being driven mad by the unintuitive poo poo.

I was doing daily moments then jamming through Nation of Baseball to get the cards to sell on the market, but they nerfed that. Now I'm doing Daily Moments and the Extra Innings since they've added 4-5 achievements for that.

The baseball is mostly secondary to my desire to catch em all at this point.

As for tracking stuff, I have a notebook that'll say like
TEAM AFFINITY 69
NL West
HR w/Rookie Buster Posey 3 2 1

Then I check the progress after the game and mark em off as I go along

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Intruder if you start with Team Affinity 3 (the all-star game) you can get a pretty great team to start with in a hurry.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Captain Log posted:

I just realized I have about 100k more experience to finish out the 7th inning program before it closes in a day or two, so I'm holding off on the online play until that wraps up.

Is there a faster way to rack up XP than conquest? Because I'm almost done with both the 7th conquest maps.

I've got to admit, while it was confusing having three to four seasons of team affinity going at once, in addition to all the monthly poo poo, I miss having a ton of boxes to check. A lot of the Player Programs require poo poo I'm never going to do. Mostly beating teams on All Star and poo poo. Nine innings is a lot of time for something that could drat well not go my way.

Extra Innings has some tucked away missions that require some custom lineup tweaking but are easy to garner points for. Bonus of getting the sweet sweet current 4x gameplay xp bonus too.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

TheFlyingLlama posted:

the odds on the all star/home run derby packs kinda suck on top of relatively low sample sizes

like, if my math is right (and it's probably wrong I'm poo poo at math) something like 15 packs of base rounds is just normal unlucky and not even super crazy unlucky or anything

Yeah this is what I tell myself as I open headliner after headliner from various programs without getting a diamond.

I got 2 Vlads and a Peralta out of the ASG packs though so I guess it all evens out.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

ihatepants posted:

I'm dumb because I bought the new game yet again despite never playing online because I can't deal with the constant cheesing. I do like the collecting cards aspect, though. Hopefully this year's game gets rid of the website throttling they did midway through last season, since I liked to spam refresh cards to get up to date pricing information.

I played like 20 games online last year and I'm counting down the minutes until my early access kicks in because I'm obsessed with collecting the cards so I feel you in that respect

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

MJBuddy posted:

I'm stuck waiting for next week because SDS didn't have a game pass deluxe upgrade tier like Forza.

But yeah I'm staring at the game daily now excited to bust some packs.

Have fun friend

https://www.xbox.com/en-us/games/store/mlb-the-show-22-xbox-game-pass-early-access-bundle/9p64kc2n211k

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Captain Log posted:

I've only been playing about two hours a night, because I've been on a big reading kick.

I don't have any diamonds just yet, past the two that came with the game.

Cover athlete Ohtani, being able to pitch and fill the hitter spot is huge, as it was for me in 21.

But they have absolutely assassinated pitcher stamina in three inning games, to the point of silliness. I'm having relievers getting "tired" to "no energy" after one at bat. I need more than eight good pitches when you have to face three batters on a fresh inning, God damnit.

It sucks but the major solace with the new stamina stuff is the computer subs out the 99 Randys after 1 IP when you play super teams in mini seasons

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

I've gone 109 straight packs (including a chase pack!) without a diamond and the 2 diamonds I pulled before that were both Manny Machado I'm Not Mad I'm Actually Laughing

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

MJBuddy posted:

Giving away what I think it an edge because I like talking edges more than exploiting them: I've gotten to about 25 wins in Events over the last day and I've only seen two lefty pitchers: a sole Robbie Ray and an infrequent Chapman.

So now I'm loading up my lineup with lefties. Seems like free advantage and all it's costing me is Goldy at first and bench bats my Acuna and Buxton (which hurts) for Benitendi and Kyle Tucker.

I wouldn't do this probably in Ranked? But in Event I'd probably even be fine instant quitting on a lefty to save time because who cares I just want my 25 wins and I'm not gonna win 12 games.

If you're going all lefty, FotF Votto hits fuckin nukes for me

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

I have gotten plunked on one out of every 15-20 hit a dinger missions and it's the most annoying thing that I laugh uproariously at

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Captain Log posted:

I'm trying to get into Mini Seasons, but it's weird for two reasons -

- Managing pitcher energy is a pain in the rear end
- Line Ups appears glitched to all hell. I'll start a game and get a Randy Johnson Pitcher followed by a field of all Luis Roberts and poo poo. Then it keeps swapping around.

Once they fixed pitcher energy, you basically get 2 innings out of your starter, should you want it. The lineup glitch is just that, a visual glitch. Since they're based on real rosters, you gotta understand that some people have (for example) Tony Gwynn starting at catcher and hitting lead off and to not deal with the catcher batting, and then when that team is on defense, the CPU autoswitches in a catcher.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Hope nobody wants to get George Brett anytime soon

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

I idly purchased the FotF guys as I went as my own private lil collection goal.

The bigger thinkface is needing 6 of 7 Milestone cards and 3 of them are in a brand new pack, of which you can only buy two. Another is hidden behind the NL collection.

Basically my goal is to try to complete the live series to get Brett and then figure out where to go from there. No money spent doesn't mean no stubs spent!

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Captain Log posted:

I'm focusing on the Live series stuff too. But being a No Money Spent guy, I really struggle to understand how I'm ever going to get Trout/Tatis/Ohtani and the like.

I'm still in awe of pulling Acuna for a common pack. Weirdly, his stance has me doing poorly with him in PvP. But his speed in centerfield is so brutally awesome. I'm always picking Polo Ground and pitching to contact, because my speedy outfield is able to run down 90% of hits.

I was NMS last year my first year playing and I didn't pull any of the big boys and finished every collection. It requires a good amount of grinding to do it but you can. My go-to last year was Nation of Baseball because before they nerfed the player prices the guys were going for ~5k a pop on a market, so a run through was about 30k for 30 games.

This year I'm finding the offline grind of mini-seasons to be extremely fruitful. The key is doing whatever you can to keep the Cairo Cats and the Lichtenstein Whales out of the playoffs and you can cruise. I regularly bank 15-18 wins then start taking dives against the bad teams (quitting immediately) to boost their wins and hopefully keep one or both of them out of the playoffs so I can tee off on the Lemurs or Pinheads. This also brings down the number of games I have to play.

There's also flipping but showzone getting the pro feature made it harder because by the time us normies see it, the sharks have picked the carcasses clean. Still, I made like 25k yesterday watching something on TV and idly flipping Nick Castellanos on my switch.

Don't forget to finish bat and jersey collections, there are thousands of free stubs just sitting there.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Step 1. Get Blank Canvas stadium in Vault

Step 2. Open a new mini season

Step 3.
Score 10 runs in a game, like so

Step 4. Obtain Headliner Choice Pack, 1500 stubs, 2500 XP

Step 5. Repeat steps 2 - 4, as needed

BONUS: fill your roster with AL Monthly Awards players so if you take a few games to top 10 runs you can knock off one or both of the 15 dinger & 25 XBH missions

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 15, 2022

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Blank Canvas is definitely a station-to-ststion field. I sell out for home runs but I feel your pain there.

If you're getting close (7+ runs) just intentionally walk the opponent up to 9 runs so you can get another round of plate appearances that will inevitably end with a walk off

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

The HR one was a nightmare if you ended up on defense because schwarber couldn't stop anything that wasn't a fastball and everyone just sorta flung the ball wherever they wanted. I eventually just pumped fastballs until I got 3 punchies (woooo)

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Pulling Trout is the white whale. Congrats

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Stubs can be exchanged for Mike Trouts and services!

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Captain Log posted:

Yes, I am a Bone player.

What do you mean by doesn't work? Like, it's worse on the platform? Or it's just outright broken?

I use an Elite Series Two controller, for what it's worth.

There's a gently caress up in the software
https://www.operationsports.com/mlb-the-show-22-xbox-pinpoint-pitching-bug/

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

TheFlyingLlama posted:

first 6ish hours of early access review: I hate how much I like jeets swing

I'm struggling with the new engine... except with Jeets

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Seltzer posted:

Can someone explain DD this year? It looks like there are a ton of 99s day 1. Are people capped to using a certain number of them or will there be people with money with full 99 squads day 1. I don't get the system at all.

The idea is to diversify the usable cards so that people don't just run into god squads when starting out. The day 1 99s are only viable for the first two "seasons" and then get rotated out. Everyone can have all 95-99s pretty quickly, which seems to be the goal

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Seltzer posted:

So I never really do collections in these games (maybe small ones here and there). I don't put in the time and I like theme teams anyways. On top of that it seems like this game will be making GBS threads out 97-99 top end cards in each set so I'm thinking, should I just sell all my cards I don't plan on using asap? I think there's no reason not to right?

Well the big collection for set 1 is one or all of Pedro, babe and chipper. With the wild card I'm planning on getting chipper and slotting him into my wild card slot all year because he's a gorgeous card to use. If you don't plan on that then I'd say why not go for it

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

I always get absolutely rinsed in BR because I am one of those people

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Spoeank posted:

I always get absolutely rinsed in BR because I am one of those people

I put it together and won 5 straight on a ticket today and then lost two straight and fell 150 xp short of getting the 4k on one ticket bonus. Pain.

But, I won a game by getting the last out with Shlomo striking out vs 99 Griffey lol, Shlomo supremacy

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Rogers is easy just sit in the bottom right corner. It's like the only place he throws fastballs.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

You don't *have* to play the showdown, as the 5k pxp mission is repeatable. Just beat up on the Rockies a bunch of times with Mexico players and you're golden.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Grem posted:

Now there's too much to do!

Jk jk conquests are the best for grinding out programs.

I love these drops because I'm just drowning in content.

I pulled Goldy last night meaning there's just Aaron Judge between me and Jeter now too 😎

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Yeah it's really stupid that because I backburnered the Extreme program I now have to not use my favorite card (99 Ketel) in order to get the requisite dingers with Piazza to progress.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Got a triple play in BR today :hellyeah: and still lost 3-2 lmao

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Stefan Prodan posted:

lol how the gently caress, did you get a catch then throw two people out who couldn't get back fast enough?

Runner on 3rd that he tried to sneak home on a 4-6-3, I got him by the skin of my teeth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Captain Log posted:

Beat what I pray was a bot or toddler 43-0 in ranked yesterday.

I’ll admit, going from thirty to seventy-three stars in one game was loving nice. Ranked, with my pitching staff, is stressful. At least I’m in All Star now, where pitchers throwing below 103 can get some strikes.

Hey I found them too!

https://x.com/JeffKrisko/status/1777723110269374480

It was nice to get past Clutch in 4 games played because of it