Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
is it just me or are the online diamond dynasty teams even more uniform than usual?

I'm not sure I've played a team that had anyone other than Grandal as the catcher so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I feel like you can throw just about anything against the AI and be ok...the main thing is to hit your meter mark as close as you can. It seems like the AI gets a ding against it when you do. My main irritation with the AI is that it almost NEVER swings at anything out of the zone, whereas human players (even really good ones) you can really set up to swing at stuff in the dirt.

Basically, you want a fastball, a hard low pitch (sinker/forkball), a slow pitch (curve/changeup), and a lateral movement pitch (slider or cutter). My perfect DD pitcher would have a hard sinker as primary, 4 seamer, 12-6 curve, slider, and forkball, in that order. If you go really heavy on the movement, you could replace curve/slider with slurve, but that has to have a LOT of break to be a legit out pitch.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Is the splitter any good in this version? Because it was a good out pitch for me in previous versions.

It is pretty much the same thing as a forkball, maybe a bit faster with less movement. I like it as a pitch to induce grounders, especially if you get a guy who is sitting low in the zone hoping to crank a dinger when he has guys on base (which is just about every human player online).

If you have a REALLY good one (ie, Kirby Yates) you can really pound down and away in the zone with it until the guy starts looking down there out of anger and frustration. Otherwise it is kinda risky to throw in the zone.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Hitting in online DD games is so drat hard after that last update.

I played two games yesterday...one was against some guy who started the 99 OVR Kluber. Hitting against that guy is comically difficult; I managed to squeeze out two solo home runs and had maybe 2 other baserunners past that. My other opponent must have spent literally thousands of dollars on this...he had almost all of the high-end "collections" guys including the 99 OVR Mickey Mantle.

The funny thing is both of these guys were even worse hitters than me...I struck out 20 in the first game and 22 in the second and neither managed to score a run.

I dunno, I feel like it is basically just everyone swinging for the fences and hoping you get lucky right now. You rarely walk and reliably putting hard balls into play is impossible. I love me a tight 2-0 win but holy hell is this getting frustrating.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
you actually have to turn HDR mode or whatever off in the show, it messes with your swing timing

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

the_american_dream posted:

Anyone else have around a 90% plus chance of hitting into a double play against the cpu? I’ve resorted to just bunting a man over it’s gotten so annoying and looking for a ball up doesn’t seem to make a difference. Any trick to this?

Good pitchers/players will REALLY try to induce a ground ball in a double play situation; I'm sure the CPU does also. I usually "save" a pitch for GIDP purposes (sinker works best but can use cutter or 2SFB also) and don't use it until it is time to induce a grounder.

If you know a groundball pitch is coming, sit low in the zone and try to jump on a pitch, or alternatively, wait out a couple of pitches and see if he misses low and gives you a favorable count.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I had some extra stubs after the father's day thing so did what I never do and bought a pack....the ducks on the pond one.

I got the elite tier. took Chapman, sold him for 200k.

decided what the hell, bought another pack.

got another Chapman.

so anyway that's my pack luck for the season

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Is there a good overview or guide for getting into the DD stuff? I've been playing this game for a few years doing only RTTS and I'm finally getting curious about what all these loving cards I keep getting rewarded actually mean.

I'd start by doing all of the monthly awards...those by themselves would give you a solid team, the challenges aren't that hard and they all give you good players. Correa, Derek Dietrich, Didi, Sanchez, and Alex Wood are all still making regular appearances for really good teams. Correa is still my starting SS and Dietrich is my primary RHP killer off the bench.

Then take that team and go beat all of the conquest maps. They pay off quite a bit between packs and prospect cards and give you points towards the monthly programs also.

At that point you should probably have an all diamond team or close to it, that is good enough to start playing vs people which in my opinion is the most fun and frustrating way to play.

edit - I forgot that you have to do collections for those monthly awards if you don't want to grind it out. Save all your stubs for that.

This got me curious so I went through and did a "monthly awards" team

C: 85 Zunino
1B: 87 Aguilar
2B: 92 Lemahieu
SS: 95 Correa
3B: 92 Didi
RF: 88 Dietrich
CF: 97 Bellinger
LF: 85 Zimmerman

Bench: T Anderson, Crawford,

SP: Corbin, Glasnow, Wood, C. Anderson (Glasnow is trash but the others are solid)
Neris is the only reliever.

That...is a pretty solid team that can be had for free, and not too much grindy-type stuff.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 22, 2020

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i'm on vacation now so haven't seen ANY of this new content, but it seems like they once again filled up the rosters with a zillion baseball supermen which means every lineup now will have all 99s and every pitcher will be a superpitcher.

I really wish they'd try harder to make a limited number of really elite cards and put in some more variety in the player pool. i'm so tired of dancing around left hand power bat after left hand power bat.

Also LOL at the folks who spent four digits on a mantle card in the early weeks, he's just an average middle order hitter now

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I would not ever use a non-diamond SS/C/CF at those positions based on the huge number of infuriating errors made at said positions.

Also I'm getting really irritated at reggie jackson in RF due to his poo poo glove

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I cashed in everything and bought an all superstar team. I also probably lost 100k stubs in the Great July 4th Selloff.

This is great for people like me who kind of struggle on the fringes of DD but man I'd be pissed if I had an elite team a week ago and now everyone does.

Also let us all celebrate the gradual lessening of SuperKluber.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
they probably aren't worth the time if you're not an online DD player, but the rewards you get are pretty good for the time involved. they're the best way to get both stars for the inning challenges and team affinity points, both of which can net you lots of virtual baseball currency and or excellent players.

i think they're pretty fun too but the overall reviews seem pretty mixed.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

What are the best ways for a new player to improve their DD team?

Definitely conquest games. Those maps give probably...30k stubs per? While being virtually un-loseable. Make sure you've done all the innings points things too...those players are fantastic and really fun to play with, or you can sell them for a bundle. I can't tell you how many guys I've played who have Mantle/Thames/Biggio/Sheffield lineups along with "blood diamond" levels but who are straight trash at the actual online game. They've done a SHITLOAD of single player games to get that stuff. Like, to the point where I wonder about their well-being socially. In any case, there's a ton of content there that doesn't involve playing other people.

I had a similar existential crisis earlier this year when they nerfed the hitting and I was just so over losing 1-0 to loving Kluber every game. I started playing each MLB team in extended play, which was actually pretty fun. There aren't any standings or anything but player stats still count which was nice, and the CPU on HoF is a tough opponent plus those games have pretty decent rewards.

DD is definitely geared towards online play though, so if you're more into single player other game modes might be more fun.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 10, 2020

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm about 2/3 of the way through the babe Ruth challenge. this poo poo is a grind

I will say I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Tim tebow take the field for the all-time Mets squad

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Babe Ruth trip report: is good. He's OPSing 1800 over his first 7 games. Also Tom Seaver is probably now the best RHP in the game. One of the weird things about HoF difficulty level is the AI has a hell of a time throwing strikes if the pitcher's control is below 80 or so...if you're just super patient you'll usually get a walk or two an inning.

Other good value cards out there right now:

- Platoon Bagwell/Thome at 1B. Or, more cheaply, Kingman/McGriff.
- Stanton and Judge home run derby cards; they're like 50k per and absolutely crush the ball. Stanton is a garbage fielder though.
- George Brett best 3B
- Chris Sale's live card is a great LHRP. The wonky delivery really messes with people, especially when you're replacing a RHP. This might be cheesy but meh.
- Kenny Lofton's 98 card can bunt like hell, steal bases, and play great CF defense.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ginette Reno posted:

One thing that is annoying the hell out of me is the computer is just all over the god damned place with its pitches. I guess I should just be more patient at the plate but they're so unpredictable that it's hard to even know what they're gonna do. They'll miss badly four times in a row on one at bat and then paint the corners on the next. And their pitch selection feels rather random too.

Just wait until you have to hit World Series DD players who all have blood diamond cyborgs :/

I've been playing Show for years but have sort of reconciled myself to the fact that between job and kids and lack of natural talent and age that I'll never have the coordination elite players do when it comes to getting the PCI on the ball. It is legit incredible what those people are capable of. Anyway, since I can't do that, I kind of...cheat with my PCI. I'll decide for this AB I'm waiting for a specific pitch -- maybe one they've thrown for strikes a couple times in the previous ABs; and until I have 2 strikes, I ain't swingin at nothin else. This does two things: it lets me target what my opponent probably thinks is a quality pitch (and might scare them away from using it for a bit) and it also gets my PCI on the ball in a way my thumb and eyes never could. This approach was good enough to regularly make the WS last year; I think Ted Williams had the most ABs for me and he slashed like 310/400/650 or something. Which, if you see what elite players do...isn't that impressive, but it was adequate.

Anyway, here's three general tips that helped me a lot.

1) You get 3 strikes. Use all 3. Like I described above, pick a pitch and wait on it. The AI will almost ALWAYS throw at least one meatball in a 5+ pitch AB, you just have to be ready for it. Other favorites of mine are the high-inside fastball (home run or hard liner), the low-middle curve/change that doesn't bottom out (home run), and the slider that catches the outside edge (hard liner the opposite way). Even if a pitch is in the zone, if it isn't one you can get your bat to, you don't need to swing at it if you're not at 2 strikes. If I'm down in the count with 2 strikes, I'll usually stop trying to move the PCI and just contact swing until the count is even up or 3-2, then start hunting for a pitch.

2) Work on pitch recognition. Part of this is recognizing tendencies, part of it is knowing what the pitch looks like coming out of the hand, part of it is knowing how the pitcher's stuff works. The latter is harder until later on when EVERYONE has the same half-dozen pitchers, but all the pitch types look basically the same. Being able to quickly recognize change/curve and lay off, or HIGHFASTBALLGOTTASWINGNOW goes a long way to giving you a few more ms of reaction time. Also look for pitchers who have good pitch combos....Kluber's slurve/sinker combo last year was just disgusting from like May all the way to the end of the game. They were impossible for me to tell apart until it was halfway to home plate, and I faced Kluber a LOT.

3) Find the pitcher's release point, and focus in the distance behind it. This helps a lot with #2; it also helps offset pitchers with dumbass motions like Cishek. You don't exactly focus on the ball...more like, the area around the ball. It is hard to describe in text, but give it a shot without swinging and you'll see what I mean.

I'd recommend setting your own difficulty, that's the best way to see if what you're doing is effective.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i havent really played with the stadium maker yet but others have

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
The last several years I've been a "check swing on every pitch" kind of hitter, but it seems like 21 is WAY harsher with check swings so I'm currently trying to break that habit. It is proving surprisingly difficult.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Are any other DD player seeing huge hitting increases so far? Like everyone on my team is OPSing 1400 right now.

(This isn't a backdoor brag; it seems like everyone I play has more or less the same thing for everyone in their lineup also)

(I am still not an elite hitter by any means)

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i just wish they finally put in "monarchs" for DD team name. i have no idea why this isn't included.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
well i'm back in my normal "scratch and crawl my way to around 800 then get matched up against stupid good players repeatedly and go on losing streak" groove

i'm sure corbin burnes is very nice in real life but I'm starting to really hate him. he's even worse than kluber was last year or kersh was in 19.

Stefan Prodan posted:

C - idk Realmuto so far since he has a cannon and people love stealing online

my general impression is catcher's arms aren't much of a difference maker again this year, especially with super basestealers. you pretty much have to slide step and/or catch them with a pitch out.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 17, 2021

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure Buxton has already broken the all-time record for number of times a player gets a putout on himself out in MLB the show history.

also that upcoming Darren O'Day card is going to be throw your controller infuriating.

also the new team affinity season get through some really high quality players with next to no effort. crochet, groshans, and Oswalt were all upgrades for me, and Doolittle is a great loogy. I bet I spent about an hour getting all three without spending much stubbage.

has anyone seen what Joe Torres catcher stats are? I absolutely loved using that guy last year.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 31, 2021

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
to that end, hitting on hall of fame against elite pitchers using pinpoint in ranked seasons is just lol

I know there are some players good enough to do it but it seems like every game I play now is a 2-1 nailbiter because neither of us can hit for poo poo

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
got to 895.

lost 4-3 to a guy with 1100 rating who of course was starting glavine. last out was a hit to the track with a guy on base off 99 rivera.

then lost 3-1 to a guy with a 700 rating in a game I shouldn't have been playing.

then quit.

stupid rear end game

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
https://www.reddit.com/r/MLBTheShow/comments/nx4mt6/when_youre_in_your_40s_and_decide_to_clean_out/

this made me inordinately happy

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
A buddy of mine started playing last week and asked how he should go about building a DD team so I thought about it and this was what I told him.

1) Do all the Topps Now moments first. This will give you a shitload of TN players that you can either sell or collect and a bunch of stubs. Plus these are generally very easy and quick to do even for beginners.

2) Do all of the Monthly Awards stuff. These are also fairly easy but take a big longer; the good news is a lot of them require TN players, of which you have many because of step 1. After this is complete you'll have something approaching a competitive online team.

3) Go through a few conquest maps playing on at least HoF difficulty. I think even a relative beginner with a TN/MA team can do these easily enough, and that will start to get your timing ready for the godforsaken world of DD ranked season hitting. Plus you get a lot of crap.

4) Open all your packs and sell all you unused/noncollected TN cards. This should net you a couple hundred thousand stubs depending on your pack luck. Use that to fill any holes left in your roster, which will probably be your rotation and pen.

Anyway he's starting this now, I'm curious how it ends up going. It is kind of cool that even a new player can build up a useful team this quickly.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've been using Justice in LF and he's been great. Good old Bux in CF until I die I guess.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
man doing that acuna program was.... lucrative.

I got a lot of pack luck but made probably a half mil in stubs and packed both Alonso and Vlad Jr.

degroms all star card is just stupid. I played a guy on legend with both of us cheesing with him and between us we had 37 strikeouts and I won with a 320 ft contact swing home run that was my only hit other than a ground all up the middle.

BASEBALL

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
there's a lot of 800+ players, myself included, for whom several pitchers are borderline impossible to hit at hof or above (Edward god drat Cabrera, glavine, Paxton, now degrom). those guys are basically everyone's rotation when you get above 800, so most games are 2-1 barn burners with all the runs coming on lucky dingers. I'm usually up and down around 900 and when I have to hit on legend (ie, I'm above 900 and playing another 900+ player) it is just lol. I'm at the point where now I just lose a couple of games intentionally to get back below 800 and actually hit the ball sometimes.

what you described is pretty much what we all do...eat outs until you ID a tendency or two, then try to guess right and hope you don't miss. it is engaging but is mentally taxing. for me at least. sometimes I just want to crush dingers in a 13-12 dong fest.

there are folks out there who can actually "hit" at hof+ (like as in recognize pictures and move the PCI to where the pitch is and swing with appropriate timing) but I will almost certainly never be one of those people. it is also very clear when you get matched up against one of them.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
yeah...like, I think I play a lot and I think I have around 130 ranked season games so far this year. couple that with all of the programs and moments and showdowns and poo poo and it's quite a bit of time, especially for an adult with a job and kids who basically can only play after his wife goes to bed.

I'm sure natural talent plays into it -- which I'm also sure I have next to none of -- but just the amount of time those top 100 guys put into this activity is kind of eye-watering when you really think about it. at least they're finding a way to monetize it, of sorts.

anyway point being definitely don't feel like there aren't a zillion of us out there, like me, who also cannot catch up to degroms fastball up and in, both in this game and in real life...

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Stefan Prodan posted:

if you ever wanna play some friendlies let me know, I think it would be cool to have someone also to play practice sets with where we can tell each other to only throw pitches we have problems with but with more control (like for instance I can say throw high and in fastballs mixed with low and away sliders or some combo like that whereas you can't set specific locations to specific pitches with the CPU)

definitely! i wont be back in my living room until august but trying to pitch whisper a buddy sounds like a cool exercise

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
yeah, moderately fast guys bunting against the big right field shift get on base maybe...half the time? I first noticed it with with bellinger.

between that and the fairly regular "shallow fly ball to the opposite field that turns into a standup double" play that seemed to happen a lot I turned off auto shift completely pretty early on.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
due to vacation and buying a boat i pretty much stopped playing after july 4th or so, but got a PS5 this week and have picked it up again.

goddamn PS5 is a huge difference. also good lord am i now far behind on...pretty much everything

Intruder posted:

I snagged a PS5

This late in the game, do I want to get the current version or wait for 22?

they'll keep putting out content all fall/winter. the playoff stuff is usually great. if you want to do DD type stuff you'll have a very competitive team very quickly also...like, getting the mantle and wagner cards this year would take maybe 30 minutes start to finish from scratch.

i'm sure the market is flooded with used disc versions right now, that'd be a good way to get in cheap.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm no big fan of multiplayer anything but online DD is about as good as it gets in my experience. You just can't replicate the mind games etc you get with a human opponent. Plus there's relatively little stupidity as compared to most other online games.

If you're set against not giving PVP a try, just start the long grey line to doing all those collections. That'll keep you busy for months.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
yeah that is very strange. in any case with a million stubs you could pretty much put together a top of the line team at almost every position and go wreck new players for a while. it is very satisfying. I call it that miracle at the start of each season where your rating gets reset.

rage quitting is pretty standard though. in fact, I'm pretty okay with it in most cases, especially when you know you're playing someone far worse or far better than you. no need to waste everyone's time. a good courtesy to follow is to let the home run making you quit land before you quit, as sometimes those are tied to achievements or something.

it does make me wonder though what my hitters stats would be if we got to play out those games against worst pitching.

you definitely want to move to PCI hitting against good human players though. once you start trying to have to deal with degrom or Gibson on Hall of Fame in every goddamn game I'm not sure there's any viable way other than PCI.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 11, 2021

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I just opened about 50 regular packs and maybe 20 ballin is a habit packs and 20 or so headliner packs and got exactly zero diamond players from all of them. someone should calculate the odds of that happening

that said I got about 30,000 stubs worth of stuff from a diamond ball player pack so whatever

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm glad the high sinkers have been curtailed a bit. sinkers still don't look like sinkers and they still think it is a different pitch from a two seamer for some reason but maybe this year we'll avoid the curse of Corey kluber or Edward Cabrera.

I wish they'd actually talk to irl pitchers when developing the game though.

otherwise this has been a real good start

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Stefan Prodan posted:

why do people consider lefty/lefty to be harder than R/R matchup? is it just because you see the matchup less?

physically I find it much easier to quickly move the cursor to the top right than I do the top left so I think lefty/lefty seems easier to me

like I can use my whole base of my thumb to support it by kinda rotating my arm a bit and move it accurately but when I'm doing up/left I have to basically pull that direction with my thumb muscle alone and it feels harder to be precise with

I imagine most of it is not seeing as many Lefty pitchers, but there's also a timing element to it.

in a same handed matchup when they are throwing up and in you have a little bit less time to see and react to the pitch location, whereas if it's a cross-handed matchup the pitch up and in is coming across the plate relative to your eyes rather than at them. I think this is a little more pronounced this year also since they seem to have increased the relative importance of getting out in front of the pitch.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

the_american_dream posted:

Thank you, I switched to this and haven’t had the issue since

One more thing I’m not sure anyone can actually help with. I really hate the “hit a home run” missions because I feel like I luck into dingers more than anything

Does it actually make a difference doing a power swing over normal? Feels like i whiff on pitches I normally wouldn’t when I go for power. Also I’m guessing I’m not missing any other secret on hitting home runs besides timing on a pitch up. As often as hit a HR is the goal I’m starting to think there’s a home run button I’m not aware of to be pushing

I don't ever power swing. for those missions I just sit with my cursor up in the zone and wait for a fastball. don't bother swinging at anything else.

unless it's a dumbass sinker baller, then put your cursor low in the zone and wait for them to leave one in the middle.

it works fine, my only real annoyance is when the computer pitcher can't find the zone to save his life, which seems to happen more often than it does in real life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I actually did the whole RTTS grind for a batter. I probably didn't get this optimal, but wound up with either a ~105 contact/~105 power guy with a decent glove (I made him a 2B, which kind of wastes the big arm) or an ~80 contact, ~100 power guy with a great glove and great wheels...and the "bunt cheese" perk. Which means he can drag bunt like a superhero. Going to try the bunt cheese loadout first and see how many angry messages I get.

It didn't take as long as I'd feared (maybe 2 hrs total) and the grind was actually kind of fun. I was hoping the end result would be an endgame player, but this is good enough to start probably through the all star break.

Hitting on beginner for so long seriously screwed up my timing though, holy crap. If you do this, plan to take a day or two of practice or something to get your eyes back.