Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salem Saberhagen
Feb 23, 2009
Haven't been able to vote for my man goku in a dogs age cuz I only browse mobile, it's a drat shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Greg Legg posted:

I browse on my phone all the time and I didn't know there was a mobile app. It works fine without the app.

There are a few hiccups

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Greg Legg posted:

I browse on my phone all the time and I didn't know there was a mobile app. It works fine without the app.

this

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

If you were gonna invest the time, effort, and cash into a mobile app it's something that should've been done about 12 years ago. As it is, everybody's really adjusted to the unofficial one or they just use a browser. I don't think you'd see an increase in people using the site or any kind of cash return on the time it'd take to develop something you liked and wanted to make the official app.

But I have seen a lot of things in goon groups that folks would like. Drag and drop pictures (like fb and twitter allow, etc) is one of the top ones I see requested a lot, rather than having to upload to imgur and stuff like that.

I dunno how hard that would be to work out but instead of a mobile app, maybe features such as the above would help out?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Here’s how you make everyone happy, lowtax:

Leave the website as is on mobile for the weirdos that like to use it like that.

Do not make the apps official. Currently community maintenance is working great, let’s not gently caress with that.

Create a forums access API for apps. It’s not as hard as it sounds and it will let apps be able to access the forums without having to scrape web pages. This means bandwidth savings for you, faster apps, and more features (like polls) are easily supported.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The mobile app has been really good in my experience and I don't see why we really need anything else

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

have you seen my baby posted:

The app is good, don't make an official one that you can put ads in thanks

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

realbez posted:

I almost exclusively use my phone for the forums and don’t use an app. It works well in a phone browser, and I hate it when websites try to make me use an app instead.

i have the same brainthoughts as this

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
im browsing through safari on an iphone right now

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Xenforo comes mobile-ready

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I exclusively use the app when I'm on my phone but those "download our app instead of using your browser" nag messages are the loving worst

Definitely coordinate with the app maker though, more/better official support wouldn't be a bad thing

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Mega64 posted:

Do both of those ideas.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Add microtransactions to the app, like powerups for my posting. I think forums loot boxes could work really well on a site like this. I'd spend good money on an upgrade that displays all of my posts in upper case letters without me having to press the caps lock key

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

DoombatINC posted:

I exclusively use the app when I'm on my phone but those "download our app instead of using your browser" nag messages are the loving worst

Definitely coordinate with the app maker though, more/better official support wouldn't be a bad thing

A one time notice would be nice since a lot of people don't seem to know it exists

An API would make the app better and save Lowtax money so that should be the highest priority.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I feel like the standard desktop site looks fine on mobile. I do most of my lurking on my phone in Chrome, and it seems fine for the most part. I've never used the app. Maybe it's better? But I haven't ever felt like I needed it.

If you're feeling like you want a true mobile experience, I'd figure that working with the unofficial app to make it official is probably less effort than trying to design a mobile version of the site.

As long as I can still get the desktop version of the site on my phone, though (and am therefore not FORCED to change if I decide I don't want to), then you do you.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

the app is great, need to be able to post threads on it though

also is it running slower just as of late???

your the boss tax man!!!! :thumbsup:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
You can't do mod actions on the app so whenever I have to use my phone for something immediately needing dealing with I give whoever is responsible a harsher punishment for making me go to the extra effort

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The app works fine, and the site works fine on desktop mode in Chrome on a tiny smartphone. Who are these people complaining? Bunch of weirdos probably.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
the mobile stuff is fine. not causing problems and will break things to change anyway. instead of all that mainly just improve the newreply.php page

automatically format youtube links in [url] tags get turned into [video] by default. on the back end maybe it should automatically replace the url text with the vid title and thumbnail
and embedding .mp4 files by putting them in [url] tags is pretty hacky and should be fixed too

and on the display side of things a 3rd video option for just a single floating player would be quite modern and well suited to browsing a forum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3NTZtLepYo

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I'm happy using the desktop site on my phone. I absolutely loving hate the nag messages that try to force me to use apps. Don't be like reddit or imgur. The app can be an option, and that's cool, but don't harass people to use it.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

At work we sometimes purposefully don't develop stuff because we know our partners would do it anyway.

That'd be my vote.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Dont Touch ME posted:

Xenforo comes mobile-ready

:eyepop:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I never use the ap op. The only thing that really sucks is spoilers are hosed up on a tap interface imo. That and sometimes my greasy phalanges accidentally bump the scroll to top button or something I wasn't trying to hit

e: maybe make spoilers work like they do in other forums, where it's a collapsed paragraph or w/e that you hit to uncollapse and show the spoiler?

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008
Yes, just make the app official. It's far better than a browser on a small device and much of the work has already been done for you.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

sweet thursday posted:

There are a few hiccups

yeah this does happen and also sometimes posts will just be randomly different sizes from the posts above or below them for some reason.

tables still break on mobile and it's p annoying to have to horizontally scroll

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
the only really super annoying thing that comes up on regular non-app mobile is spoilered timg

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
I don't think it should be forced, OP. I think most users know it's an alternative already.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Mobility should always be discouraged. This whole pandemic business could've been avoided if people just posted from home

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

I dont want to be bothered using an app from my phone, works just fine

legion989
Jan 18, 2013
Do the apps show embeds now? On my phone the app wouldn't embed any videos, tweets or images. It would just show the URL which was annoying compared to the web version

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'm always for greater cooperation.
:anarchists:

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
It's fine on mobile as-is, I use it all the time.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

i just tried mobile browing without the app, and it's dogshit in comparison. do let people keep hitting themselves in the balls if that's what their into ofc. maybe some sort of popup message informing you there's a better way, with an option to disable it if you don't want to be nagged?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I've never bothered with the app what are the actual benefits? Does it still not even show titles?

Feb 2, 2005
App good. Am posting from it. Would pay for it.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I like the app but don't force it. Sometimes you just wanna see the desktop forums on even on a mobile screen.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I even use my chrome browser for Twitter. I am insane.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
One time pop up is fine as long as it’s not a goatse link that people click at work and then won’t go away.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
If you can keep the app community supported and make it official, then yeah go for it.

Don’t force it on people browsing on mobile, but definitely use a pop up box to verbally abuse and insult them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Descend to slumber
May 12, 2001

I use SA on mobile a lot, but I don't use the awful app - that said, Something Awful is probably the only website I would be willing to use an app for because SA doesn't use a bunch of lovely algorithms to feed you specific content or to feed you ads in a particular way which always seems to get exacerbated by switching from a website to an app.

Likewise I already have an account on SA so it doesn't matter as much to me if I have to get an app to use it on mobile or not because gate number 1, membership, is already sorted out.

If an official community supported app is available I think non-intrusive notifications for it are a great idea, but gating SA on mobile behind the app seems a bit strong.

For comparative purposes I refuse to get a reddit account or use the reddit app though, gently caress those guys, and I refuse to get the facebook app because gently caress those guys too, if Instagram came as an easily accessible non-app version I would just use that and delete the app.