Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Less Is Definitely posted:

I browse the forums on mobile just fine without the app. I would prefer not to be forced to download yet another app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Let me introduce you to three plucky little troopers who absolutely rely on mobile browser users:

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Look at all of these people valiantly saving precious phone storage space by not downloading the app.

Like I'd get it if the site was at all mobile friendly but it's really not.

To their point though, just do the "hey there's a mobile app here that makes the formatting more readable if you want it" because choices are good.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Mega64 posted:

Do both of those ideas.

I think you should do both Rich! Having Awful able to access some of the backend would be amazing. It's a great app and would be nice to see it become the "official" app.

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

Just dont change the website / make it non functional for people who dont want to install another app on their phone.

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

Do both ideas but yell at the Awful app guy to allow poll voting in the app.

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
the app is fine but I don't do anything with my phone (sa or otherwise) if I can avoid it

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The Management posted:

Here’s how you make everyone happy, lowtax:

Leave the website as is on mobile for the weirdos that like to use it like that.

Do not make the apps official. Currently community maintenance is working great, let’s not gently caress with that.

Create a forums access API for apps. It’s not as hard as it sounds and it will let apps be able to access the forums without having to scrape web pages. This means bandwidth savings for you, faster apps, and more features (like polls) are easily supported.

Yes, do this.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Holy poo poo no

Omg
You cant make threads with it

How is this even a question????
I only ever use my phone

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
The android app doesn't support creating threads, that's a big one missing.

Revitalizing the forums json api project would be cool as hell, but it's a big project.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

If you were gonna invest the time, effort, and cash into a mobile app it's something that should've been done about 12 years ago. As it is, everybody's really adjusted to the unofficial one or they just use a browser. I don't think you'd see an increase in people using the site or any kind of cash return on the time it'd take to develop something you liked and wanted to make the official app.

Stated better than I could have. Mobile access can use a lot of work. In my myopic, peasant opinion however, I think resources should be used on getting more people to reg and stick around.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

redm posted:

the app is fine but I don't do anything with my phone (sa or otherwise) if I can avoid it

This but the exact opposite. Most of my posting including photoshops are done while driving when I don’t have access to a PC.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Icochet posted:

Let me introduce you to three plucky little troopers who absolutely rely on mobile browser users:

I use these guys all the time, particularly when i'm trying to get to the control panel from the bottom of a page and completely gently caress up and miss

my only experience of the technical side of aps was one time I wanted to make a chatbot that had some forums related options and I made it download the front page, look through for links that had urls that contain threadid= and then format them into something that would work with discord. It was extraordinarily slow and dumb but it worked and you could get the hottest threads across the forums or for any particular subforum you wanted. With a little tooling around you could have it look v similar to the actual forums, with thread tags and stuff

So if they're rerendering pages that makes sense but there's probably an api or something could be a lot better. Plus I could get permabanned for creating an insane machine to :f5: my fave threads 400x a second!

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
The way SA currently works on mobile is perfect, please keep doing the same awesome job with it that you've been doing. It's the best mobile solution out there, I can do everything that I can do on my PC, plus shitpost easily from the toilet. 5 stars, will not rate on the app store cause I don't have to, another feature.

Also I agree with The Management's idea(s), which involves keeping it as is by default.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

The way SA currently works on mobile is perfect, please keep doing the same awesome job with it that you've been doing. It's the best mobile solution out there, I can do everything that I can do on my PC, plus shitpost easily from the toilet. 5 stars, will not rate on the app store cause I don't have to, another feature.

Also I agree with The Management's idea(s), which involves keeping it as is by default.

my only problem with mobile is the threads hosed if some shitling posts a news article the size of galtse, usually exacerbated by everyone quoting it with one word replies. a toggle filter for super long posts would be nice

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
I hate apps for browsing forums, if SA forced me to an app I would stop browsing.

It works totally fine as is.

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal
I started using the awful app within the last year and it's great. I don't start threads from my phone anyway (or start threads in general). Maybe throw a recommendation their way if you haven't already, but if they are happy staying on developing it, may as well let them.

Perhaps by way of throwing them a recommendation you could put a link to the apps in the top where it has other purchase links.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
not really interested in downloading apps for websites. other than occasional spoiler/timg issues i dont have any problems with the site on mobile.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I don't like installing apps for websites, it's just more stuff to have to install and update and clutter up my phone. I prefer just using the browser, I have no issues with it.

Then again I use a ridiculous nerd phone so I'm not exactly in the target audience. But I would have to have to use the app, I think the one-time pop-up letting people know it's available is the best idea.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Knormal posted:

I don't like installing apps for websites, it's just more stuff to have to install and update and clutter up my phone. I prefer just using the browser, I have no issues with it.

Then again I use a ridiculous nerd phone so I'm not exactly in the target audience. But I would have to have to use the app, I think the one-time pop-up letting people know it's available is the best idea.
Lol this thing looks kinda sweet, give me Google Fi support and I'm in.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

The phone I use was released in March 2017 and I don't have any problems with the android app. What the gently caress are y'all doing that loading a long page is breaking your phone?

The Doormat
Dec 20, 2010

:dukedog:
The android app whips rear end but udk if people should be forced to use it.

Just a little notice telling people it exists would be good enough imho

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

I use the app on my phone but the desktop site on my tablet because the screen is big enough for that to work

Please don't break this for me

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
is awful app missing even a SINGLE feature? than gently caress using it cuz that's every goddamn mobile app by companies that should do better since they have dumbtrucks full of money

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
Tweaking the @media screen max-width CSS selectors is mainly all you really would need to do to make the site "better" on mobile. It would be nice to see the jQuery dependency rewritten in native code. Most of what the unofficial app can do, the browser can do, in the context of normal browsing. Likewise, anything jQuery can do native javascript does better.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

sweet thursday posted:

I even use my chrome browser for Twitter. I am insane.

In a Venn diagram of normal users, you'd be the little dot up at the top right of the page.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
no apps no masters

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

You could make an announcement once a year "Hey there's an awful app and while it's unofficial it's really good." but also get in contact with the app makers and ask them what you need to do on your end to make the app work better. They've done a really nice job with the app so probably know their stuff really well and will come to you with ideas.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

The android app doesn't support creating threads, that's a big one missing.

Revitalizing the forums json api project would be cool as hell, but it's a big project.

Would that be a bigger project than changing the mobile layout to more closely match the app?

I do like the app and use it 99% of the time - having a dark theme and easy layout is just too good to give up. But it is still a compromise, and obviously I would like it (or a mobile version of the site) to have the full set of features available in both. I'm agnostic whether that means the app or a mobile layout, as long as neither is mandatory.

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost

The Management posted:

Here’s how you make everyone happy, lowtax:

Leave the website as is on mobile for the weirdos that like to use it like that.

Do not make the apps official. Currently community maintenance is working great, let’s not gently caress with that.

Create a forums access API for apps. It’s not as hard as it sounds and it will let apps be able to access the forums without having to scrape web pages. This means bandwidth savings for you, faster apps, and more features (like polls) are easily supported.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
A Pokémon go style app where we walk to locations like doobies doghouse and groverhaus while collecting mangosteens

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Alan Smithee posted:

A Pokémon go style app where we walk to locations like doobies doghouse and groverhaus while collecting mangosteens

:five:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

If you beat the elite four admins you get to go to lee's summit to catch mewtwo.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I pretty much exclusively read the forums via the app these days. It is very good, and all the doubters should give it a try

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

We all want to see the hosed up site, that's why we're here.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Leave everything exactly as it is now.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I basically only use the app. It’s real good.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

SniperWoreConverse posted:

the only really super annoying thing that comes up on regular non-app mobile is spoilered timg

This is literally the only bad thing, everything else is fine on mobile browser. I prefer landscape to verticals and I just prefer the desktop website to the app. I have the app on my phone, and I try it every now and then but I always go back to browser. People getting tribal over apps and phones are annoying as gently caress

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

I work till late and can't fit computer in bed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Rad-daddio posted:

In a Venn diagram of normal users, you'd be the little dot up at the top right of the page.

venn diagrams are the ones that look like goatse, op. which diagrams are you thinking of?