Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Lowtax posted:

But I assume a majority of users on mobile use the unofficial SA Forums app

Do you have web server logs that could turn that assumption into a fact? Look at the logs, see whether one option is already drastically more popular than the other. If so, focus on whatever that is and gently urge the other set of users to join the popular kids' club (they won't though, and they'll hate you for trying to push them out of their comfort zone). If both mobile web and the app are more or less even in terms of popularity, then you've got a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum
Unofficial app doesn't cost you money to hire a developer to build it, nor to maintain it. Why spend money to start a competition with a free product that already works fine?

Lucavi
May 12, 2002

RichardA posted:

Unofficial app doesn't cost you money to hire a developer to build it, nor to maintain it. Why spend money to start a competition with a free product that already works fine?

to add the ads

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
I'd prefer a mobile app that's official and has ads that come up every 2-3 times I post. Some of the best spyware games I own have come from those ads!

But on a more serious note, I almost exclusively use the app for posting these days and try to donate on a periodic basis to offset my ad traffic footprint. I'd be game for an official app but am fine with "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
it's probably smart to minimize the overall amount of programming required to maintain the site, so yeah i think the app isn't a terrible compromise.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

RichardA posted:

I can't speak for lowtax but it sounds like his proposal is more "bless the existing app" than "create a new one from scratch".

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Yeah I think bless existing ones is way to go.

And maybe (if you can) work with them to make the apps more accessible to forums backend.

Idk about the iOS app, but the Droid app just needs to be able to post threads.

I

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Solid NO on the mobile app. I hit the site only rarely on mobile, and I can zoom and use iOS bullshit without an app.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

TheReverend posted:

Yeah I think bless existing ones is way to go.

And maybe (if you can) work with them to make the apps more accessible to forums backend.

Idk about the iOS app, but the Droid app just needs to be able to post threads.

I
Already working on it - there is a json version of the forum list now so the app doesn't have to visit each forum to check it for subforums.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
I almost exclusively use Android devices to read the forums. Never needed an app nor do I really want one. Maybe if someone is using a 10 year old mobile device it might be handy but SA works fine as is. Hell, its generally always worked better than most websites in spite of having code about as stable and well organized as my home. (My corpse will probably one day be discovered under piles of nerd stuff. Or trees in the yard.)

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

The only reason sites give you that “you should use the app” notification is because the app allows them to harvest more detailed data on your browsing, in turn allowing them to improve targeted ads. Since you’re not interested in doing that, I’d say leave it alone and let the freaks who use a web browser on mobile do their thing.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
I'd say make the Awful app the official app of the forums and collaborate the app creators to provide them what they need. Don't force the app on anyone though, but advertising it and letting people know the features would be good. Maybe through an announcement, a one-time popup, whatever. Reading through this thread it's clear people haven't used the app in a while.

Also, the "mobile" version of the site doesn't work very well. While it may look usable on phones, it breaks the desktop. I'm pretty sure this has always been the case because I remember when these features were introduced people were complaining about it then.

This option:

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!
Hell Gem
the IOS Awful app is really good

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Official endorsement of the app would be good i guess, but then i don't want to start getting goatse popup ads or something :tinfoil:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Convex posted:

Official endorsement of the app would be good i guess, but then i don't want to start getting goatse popup ads or something :tinfoil:

what if I want goatse ads?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Weaponized Autism posted:

Also, the "mobile" version of the site doesn't work very well. While it may look usable on phones, it breaks the desktop. I'm pretty sure this has always been the case because I remember when these features were introduced people were complaining about it then.

This option:

I tried mobile browsing for old times sake and its actually worse this time around because theres two expanded dropdown menus that dont go away. iPhone XR if anyone was wondering. Anyone else have that issue?

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
Need to up revenue? Charge 10 cents a post.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
awful app does indeed own

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

venn diagrams are the ones that look like goatse, op. which diagrams are you thinking of?

Hopefully the Venn ones

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

venn diagrams are the ones that look like goatse, op. which diagrams are you thinking of?

Some look like wtftit

It's just overlapping (or not) circles

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
Think about a venn diagram like two tiddies mashed together: everything in the middle just makes sense.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I have no issue accessing the 1999-era site from a phone browser and don't like adding apps if I can avoid it. In fact the tiny text and mis-clicking has a certain retro charm.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
does anyone have a Let's Play of the app? I want to see what the hubbub is about but if it's missing even a SINGLE feature gently caress that

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
yeah I still don't get it what's so great about it

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i read the forums on my phone all the time. i dont need any dumb app it works fine in a web browser

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

yeah I still don't get it what's so great about it

Zooms the posts and puts them in a more standard and ergonomic layout for a phone. If you want to pinch zoom tap small text and make things difficult go for it. I laughed at apps when I first got my phone thinking of them as dumbed down websites. I now see how much easier they are with a touch screen and have realized no the phone is a dumbed down computer if you don't use dumbed down apps you are just going to get frustrated with it when you use the wrong features because it's a goddamned touch screen.

I generally only read bookmarks in the app though, so it's bookmarks > thread > scroll down
If you need access to the extra features and don't mind having to constantly adjust zoom and scroll around then keep using the site. I am simply stating what I find great about the app, maybe it's enough for you to check it out. Worst case you don't like it and uninstall.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
it's weird because at least on my phone it autoscales the text to make it normal, in most cases. Every once in a while there'll be a post that's abnormally small but it's not like tiny and doesn't mean I need to zoom. Also I usually just doubletap and it zooms directly onto whatever post and zooms back out no problem?

The main things are like when someone has a ginormous mp4 or some poo poo, that fucks it up pretty bad, and timg'd spoilers. Back when byob had rotating images I couldn't look at it on mobile because it'd overheat my phone lol

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Icochet posted:

Let me introduce you to three plucky little troopers who absolutely rely on mobile browser users:

Rating works fine on the app.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
The only time I've logged in through a browser in 10 years was when I had to find out I was banned for making fun of Big Dick Nick

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I'm not opposed to a mobile app existing or anything, but I will probably not use it. If it makes you feel any better, I only use Facebook on Chrome on my phone, and I only have the Messenger app because it won't let me use it in the browser.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
please do not force me to download and use the forums app, Loxtax please and thank you.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

YeahTubaMike posted:

I'm not opposed to a mobile app existing or anything, but I will probably not use it. If it makes you feel any better, I only use Facebook on Chrome on my phone, and I only have the Messenger app because it won't let me use it in the browser.

https://mbasic.facebook.com/messages

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

i will never download an app on my phone, any app for any purpose

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
Occasionally I want to do something that isn't supported on the awful app so I just pop on the (mobile) desktop version of the site so as long as that's still possible I'd say do whatever.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

To each their own and so on but I genuinly didn't know there was a significant segment of smartphone users who were also somehow against using apps on it.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Crimpolioni posted:

To each their own and so on but I genuinly didn't know there was a significant segment of smartphone users who were also somehow against using apps on it.

I got my first smartphone in 2014, and it was a Windows Phone. I got my first Android in 2017, but I had gotten used to not having/using apps by then.

edit: so it's not that I'm AGAINST using apps, it's just that it doesn't really feel natural.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Crimpolioni posted:

That's because most apps are bad and often just a cardboard frontend for the real website, because apps are made by people and people are flawed.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i already have like 5 screens of apps (really glad i added extra desktop panels and set the home screen to the middle one early on. left is entertainment, right helps me do stuff, home screen is info)
a good mobile site is preferable to an app but isnt a mission critical right now

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Nastyman posted:

That's because most apps are bad and often just a cardboard frontend for the real website, because apps are made by people and people are flawed.

it's like reverse instagram which ironically is complete poo poo on desktop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

GORDON posted:

I've never had a problem with just reading the site on Chrome on my phone. I've also never gotten pop-up ads the other person mentioned? Am I just lucky?

I'm in the same boat. Reading and posting in a mobile browser has been no trouble for me on an Android phone. I wouldn't really want to use an app unless it integrated well with stuff like imgur or youtube to make sharing stuff easier.