Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesflarger
Feb 6, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I wrote a book. Yeah, I'm advertising it here. I hope this isn't ban-able offense. You don't even have to but it ($3) if you have a Kindle subscription it's free. If you read it, let me know how much you loving hated it.

https://www.amazon.com/Bad-Student-Wes-Ross-ebook/dp/B0825NYYVD/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=Bad+Student&qid=1575393249&s=digital-text&sr=1-6

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
And it's already rated 1 star lmao

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Theres a book subforum. I believe the child loving thread is the one you're looking for.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

How did you manage to gently caress up formatting this bad? It literally shows pictures of pages

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The Book of Gurf

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Is this what I project every time I post? Good lord, I'm gonna go spend $10 the next chance I get.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Is it a sequel to Bad Moms, Bad Santa, Bad Education, Bad Teacher, Bad Grandpa or one of the other "Bad" movies?

Hector Delgado fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 16, 2020

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I like the detail of the dead leaves on the trees connecting to the dead spiritual nature of the protagonist's homelife

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Oof

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
"The sunglasses were so black that his entire eye socket was obscured". Wow. They say the eyes are the window to the soul. Obscuring them in this instance makes a powerful statement on the soullessness of the prison-industrial complex, and by extension your father's desire to straighten you out by subjecting you to its horrors.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Congrats! Every creative endeavor should be celebrated. Be proud of yourself!

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Whoops, I was so enthralled by the metaphor I didn't read on to the next lines, where you ensure the reader is able to keep up with the heady symbolism.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is 156 pages a book or a novella?

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I'm drawn in by the second reference to your rear end as an object for authority to dominate in a mere five pages; I hope this motif keeps up once you reach the prison

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Re: You stumbling as the bus pulls out: "It wasn't a boisterious eruption of laughter, but a cacophony of under the breath chuckling". Wow. It really underscores how the cycle of homelife abuse perpetuates itself not in grand, overt moments but the everpresent subtleties of needling debasement.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

quote:

"This ain't nothin' but a thang," he said quietly. I suppose I was just too white to understand his sentiment.
Incredibly relatable. Who among us goons hasn't been in this moment?

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

what’s the book about, OP?

“Bad Student is a dramatic thriller with hints of dark comedy. It's about a disillusioned teenage boy who is a suicidal drug addict with a family that couldn't care less about his existence. Race, religion, sexuality, and morality are all discussed in great detail. It is largely based off of my real teenage experiences but with some obvious poetic license.”

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Macnult posted:

sexuality... discussed in great detail
Yessss

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

this seems like one of those
“i wrote a novella that people can make fun of and say mean things about and i can hide behind a veil of irony and be like ‘that’s the point!!’ plus the negative criticism may gain traction”
stories which is unfortunate because it’s really hard to pull off a “so-bad-it’s-good” type deal since a lot of them happen unintentionally not to mention that a very influential white male author who used a lot of endnotes told us all that irony is very bad and that there’s no room for growth

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
It honestly does seem like an earnest attempt by an unskilled writer to express their life experience. It fails less at that than being interestingly intentionally ironic so if I'm wrong OP should immediately switch track.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I wroted a book
That started the whole world laughing
Oh but I didnt see
That the book was me

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

op i hope you are doing better than you were in your teenage years and that you keep writing because that’s the best way to improve, although checking out a few seminars and conversing amongst other writers would also help

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There are a lot of writers in creative convention and they should be able to help you out and make an impressive accomplishment more refined.

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005

Macnult posted:

this seems like one of those
“i wrote a novella that people can make fun of and say mean things about and i can hide behind a veil of irony and be like ‘that’s the point!!’ plus the negative criticism may gain traction”
stories which is unfortunate because it’s really hard to pull off a “so-bad-it’s-good” type deal since a lot of them happen unintentionally not to mention that a very influential white male author who used a lot of endnotes told us all that irony is very bad and that there’s no room for growth

Nah it just seems like someone who's not a very good writer tried to write a memoir

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Seriously though, early works are never as good as later works at this stage, but it just requires practice. Almost nobody here could do any better, and keep working and you'll get better yet.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Does this story have a Mexican prostitutes?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
It's better than the LITRPG my baby brother's been working on since 2008 so you've got that going for you, OP.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

you had to send a pedo to plead for your sanity after an LP got mocked, but you want to share

quote:

a dramatic thriller with hints of dark comedy. It's about a disillusioned teenage boy who is a suicidal drug addict with a family that couldn't care less about his existence. Race, religion, sexuality, and morality are all discussed in great detail. It is largely based off of my real teenage experiences but with some obvious poetic license.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

We should have a gbs quarantine creative writing thread imo.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Stop being assholes you assholes

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Icochet posted:

Does this story have a Mexican prostitutes?

Is there something special about Mexican prostitutes? Are they different than other prostititues?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Do you get some sort of perverse pleasure out of being vocally wrong all the time Pick? Go with the flow

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Colonel Cancer posted:

Do you get some sort of perverse pleasure out of being vocally wrong all the time Pick? Go with the flow

How have you not put pick on ignore yet?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/stats.php?statid=4&all=#jump

It's so rare I even see her quoted because no one sees her posts.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

I’ll bite

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Waltzing Along posted:

How have you not put pick on ignore yet?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/stats.php?statid=4&all=#jump

It's so rare I even see her quoted because no one sees her posts.

I don't ignore anyone though :shrug:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Actually Pick is cool and good with good taste in dragons.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
I also wrote a book!

Ha ha, just kidding, I didn't really. I wrote other things tho.

- Excerpt from my book, "The Bad Post"

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Mooey Cow posted:

I also wrote a book!

Ha ha, just kidding, I didn't really. I wrote other things tho.

- Excerpt from my book, "The Bad Post"

post something you wrote

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Applewhite posted:

Actually Pick is cool and good with good taste in dragons.

Pick is a woman of contrasts who I can't help but respect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Lmao ignore the person who has actually made anything and is encouraging others to make things also. Ok assholes.