Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Bad: Getting laughed out the SA forums.
Worse: Gaving your ban thread lose the focus on you before the first page is even done.I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Years back, I wrote a romance novel on a dare from my wife. I thought it'd be a fun way to get practice towards writing stuff I was actually interested in writing.

...However, I never really made that transition and the fans that I generated from the romance writing kept demanding sequels and spin-offs so I didn't get to do the stuff I was interested in before I got burned out.

But, I have a whole bunch of terrible schlocky romance novels written under a different pen name, so that's fun.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Burnt out on romance novels, or writing? I can't decide on the moral of the story without the answer.

Either way you should make an A/T thread.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

itry posted:

Burnt out on romance novels, or writing? I can't decide on the moral of the story without the answer.

Either way you should make an A/T thread.

Both.

I ended up starting a couple of passion projects, but they're sitting in hibernation until the urge to write hits again.

The funniest part is my abandoned romance persona/pen name is still getting hit with all kinds of pleas to continue releasing new books.

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

i wrote a book also, op, but i didn't gently caress around and drop out at 156 pages like a coward

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Rad-daddio posted:

Years back, I wrote a romance novel on a dare from my wife. I thought it'd be a fun way to get practice towards writing stuff I was actually interested in writing.

...However, I never really made that transition and the fans that I generated from the romance writing kept demanding sequels and spin-offs so I didn't get to do the stuff I was interested in before I got burned out.

But, I have a whole bunch of terrible schlocky romance novels written under a different pen name, so that's fun.

Did any of them have Fabio on the cover?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Rad-daddio posted:

Both.

I ended up starting a couple of passion projects, but they're sitting in hibernation until the urge to write hits again.

Well, that's a shame. :(

Rad-daddio posted:

The funniest part is my abandoned romance persona/pen name is still getting hit with all kinds of pleas to continue releasing new books.

Give them a new romance book but it's actually detective fiction / something that actually interests you.

Maybe they'll even like it.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

itry posted:

Give them a new romance book but it's actually detective fiction / something that actually interests you.

I can already see the cover. A man wearing a trench coat but with no shirt, rippled abs and face cropped out

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Pick posted:

Every ignore is a killshot of some coward who can't even engage lest his feelings be hurted 🥺
youre so toxic now lol

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

itry posted:

I did one that was sort of sci fi and romance. It was fun, but it wasn't very well received outside of one five star review and someone who really really wanted me to make a series out of it.

I also learned later on that many writers these days don't switch genres without changing their pen name. So, writing sci fi with my romance writer pen name probably turned off some of my readers.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I can already see the cover. A man wearing a trench coat but with no shirt, rippled abs and face cropped out

Book covers are so much worse than that lol. Chuck Tingle's book covers are about mid range quality compared to the rest of the self published market.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Pick posted:

I'd like to, I've just been crazy busy!

A coward's excuse!

I am also a coward

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Rad-daddio posted:

Book covers are so much worse than that lol. Chuck Tingle's book covers are about mid range quality compared to the rest of the self published market.

Oh for sure, I'm just saying thats what you see when you walk down the romance paperback aisle. Its definitely a category of books, Shirtless Man Romance. Doesn't matter if it features Dukes, Highlanders, or paranormal stuff.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I was image-searching Chuck Tingle, and it's a little hard to believe some of these are real books.

"Brexit Pounds My Butt Then Thankfully Decides Not To Exit It"

"Open Wide For The Handsome Sabertooth Dentist Who Is Also a Ghost " :confused:

I guess the naming approach is just to describe what's in the tin.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Pick posted:

Congrats! Every creative endeavor should be celebrated. Be proud of yourself!

Hate to agree with pick but

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Does Mr Tingle peddle any Bigfoot is Sasquatch erotica?

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

itry posted:

I was image-searching Chuck Tingle, and it's a little hard to believe some of these are real books.

"Brexit Pounds My Butt Then Thankfully Decides Not To Exit It"

"Open Wide For The Handsome Sabertooth Dentist Who Is Also a Ghost " :confused:

I guess the naming approach is just to describe what's in the tin.

In 2020 Chuck Tingle is about as believable as it gets in our horrific hell timeline

wesflarger
Feb 6, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

I know you're banned so you'll never respond, but man , THIS IS THE GREATEST BOOK self-own I've ever seen.

I'm not banned now lol smh

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Welcome back OP, any ideas on a next book?

wesflarger
Feb 6, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

reignofevil posted:

I helped write a book with GBS and I am incredibly proud of it. I think even if your book sucks (as my subsequent solo book very much did) that the accomplishment is something to take pride in. Starting an art project takes passion but finishing one takes discipline and it is my hope that OP can take the work he has done to get to this point and apply it into achieving other, perhaps better thought out, goals.

This isn't my magnum opus or anything. I know the book has some mistakes and that it's not perfect. A lot of that comes from my laziness but I did put a lot of effort into this story and have been ruminating on it for 9 years. All i want is some feedback. I don't care if it's good or bad. This is my first real endeavor into self publishing and I just want any kind of response.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I think Burt gave you a pretty definitive review already

wesflarger
Feb 6, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

I know you're banned so you'll never respond, but man , THIS IS THE GREATEST BOOK self-own I've ever seen.

So did you actually like it?

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Do a “I’m not banned” video

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
If this is indeed true to life I hope writing it out helped you process some of what you've been through

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

You're a colossal rear end in a top hat OP, just a big ole gaper.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

wesflarger posted:

This isn't my magnum opus or anything. I know the book has some mistakes and that it's not perfect. A lot of that comes from my laziness but I did put a lot of effort into this story and have been ruminating on it for 9 years. All i want is some feedback. I don't care if it's good or bad. This is my first real endeavor into self publishing and I just want any kind of response.

I fell out with a friend of mine permanently because he wrote a book that was basically him as the main character having bullshit small town adventures. He whored it to me by email, by text, by facebook, by whatever self publishing marketplace he was using. Eventually, I just blocked him out of my life just so I wouldn’t have to listen to his moaning about why I hadn’t bought his $20(!) self published autofellatio manual. All that, so I didn’t have to explain to him that he was a talentless hack, and that I wouldn’t have read his loving book if he’d been paying me instead.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

OP didnt you make a bunch of awful threads about your youtube channel or something aren't you the dude that got dogpiled for posting weird poo poo then went on a rant about this site being PC and made a YT video about how not mad you were and you were actually laughing or am i confusing you with someone else

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

OP didnt you make a bunch of awful threads about your youtube channel or something aren't you the dude that got dogpiled for posting weird poo poo then went on a rant about this site being PC and made a YT video about how not mad you were and you were actually laughing or am i confusing you with someone else

TBF this happens about twice a week. Around 30% of posters have done exactly this.

wesflarger
Feb 6, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

yeah that's me

wesflarger
Feb 6, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Torquemada posted:

I fell out with a friend of mine permanently because he wrote a book that was basically him as the main character having bullshit small town adventures. He whored it to me by email, by text, by facebook, by whatever self publishing marketplace he was using. Eventually, I just blocked him out of my life just so I wouldn’t have to listen to his moaning about why I hadn’t bought his $20(!) self published autofellatio manual. All that, so I didn’t have to explain to him that he was a talentless hack, and that I wouldn’t have read his loving book if he’d been paying me instead.

I understand that completely. No, no one should care about my stupid story really but I wrote and I'm obsessed with myself so I want to show people and have them talk about it. I like that it has pissed so many of you off. It's hilarious.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

wesflarger posted:

yeah that's me

O cool carry on

wesflarger
Feb 6, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

SilvergunSuperman posted:

You're a colossal rear end in a top hat OP, just a big ole gaper.

you're just now noticing this? pfft amateur

wesflarger
Feb 6, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Daikloktos posted:

If this is indeed true to life I hope writing it out helped you process some of what you've been through

About 70% is true and the rest fictionalized to be more entertaining

wesflarger
Feb 6, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

reignofevil posted:

Welcome back OP, any ideas on a next book?

I have started another but it's far from finished.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

wesflarger posted:

It sucks poo poo op

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

bradzilla posted:

It sucks poo poo op

Wow!!!!

wesflarger
Feb 6, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

bradzilla posted:

It sucks poo poo op

you didn't even read it you obsequious swine

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

wesflarger posted:

I have started another but it's far from finished.

Let me know how it's going from time to time! Are you thinking more fictionalized life-events or trying something totally new?

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
OP sounds like he has a personality disorder. Thoughts and prayers for anyone who's stuck inside with him during the pandemic on the off-chance he doesn't live alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesflarger
Feb 6, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I'm married with kids and don't have any disorder. You're just an idiot.