Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Whiny teens, a questionably named band, this has all the makings of a dystopia movie franchise now change the setting to have a ton more barbed wire and everybody should be hunting with dynamite tipped bows and trying to have sex in the blindspots between state sanctioned spy cameras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesflarger
Feb 6, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
sounds awesome

wesflarger
Feb 6, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Zippy the Bummer posted:

the only people who want to read that are other angsty teens, and they have a wealth of blogs on the internet exactly about that (for free).

consider perhaps twisting the characters and setting so that it doesn't read like a blog post memoir. swap the genders of the characters, or add more, move it to a different country, or even a different time period. make it a story that is informed by your experiences rather than about them and your thoughts specifically.

or just make it a straight memoir with no poetic license or flourish

basically change the story entirely. No, I'm not doing any of that. I was also that angsty in my mid 20's and the stupid thing is 3 loving dollars. just don't buy it at all then. it's not for you, clearly. it's for people that just plain hate other people and everyone and everything while admitting that they are just a whiny human being. which is exactly what i am.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
If you write a book only for you then it's not really a book its a diary. And itd be rude to read your diary.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

wesflarger posted:

basically change the story entirely. No, I'm not doing any of that. I was also that angsty in my mid 20's and the stupid thing is 3 loving dollars. just don't buy it at all then. it's not for you, clearly. it's for people that just plain hate other people and everyone and everything while admitting that they are just a whiny human being. which is exactly what i am.

You could always work on not being that way

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

wesflarger posted:

lol, you're terrible.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

wesflarger posted:

I wrote a book. Yeah, I'm advertising it here. I hope this isn't ban-able offense. You don't even have to but it ($3) if you have a Kindle subscription it's free. If you read it, let me know how much you loving hated it.

i completely forgot that this was supposed to be the purpose of the thread.

OP, your book sucks horse cock. You are a terrible writer and will almost certainly never find success as one. Your book is a weak dribbling piss into a sea of liquid poo poo. If your book was a person and I met them on the street I would throw a wasp nest at their head

guitartorch
Jan 4, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

We should have a gbs quarantine creative writing thread imo.

now tTHATS what the gently caress I'm TALKING ABOT

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

wesflarger posted:

I legitimately am very entertained by it
:hmmno:

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

wesflarger posted:

I'm married with kids
This is kind of upsetting. I hope it was a joke

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

guitartorch posted:

now tTHATS what the gently caress I'm TALKING ABOT

Make a thread and I will post something in it

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

lol rip again op

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
drat. This wes guy just can't catch a break

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder what gender identity he'll use as a slur to title his next video.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
When/If OP returns how about we show him a much better self-published book that blows his out of the water in comparison? ;)

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Pick posted:

Congrats! Every creative endeavor should be celebrated. Be proud of yourself!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Even Sausage Party starring Seth Rogan?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
this thread is a mighty fine skeebap ba doo diddly if you ask me

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Applewhite posted:

Even Sausage Party starring Seth Rogan?

It has Heart....

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Who What Now posted:

If you write a book only for you then it's not really a book its a diary. And itd be rude to read your diary.

Sailor Cat
Aug 28, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wesflarger posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Lol. Anyway, there are tons of books written about being an angsty, misunderstood teenager/young adult that are just as authentic as yours, but are better-written. You can revise or rewrite your book and keep it authentic, it's not a betrayal to yourself or or your work. "To Kill a Mockingbird" started out as a entirely different novel, after all.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

bradzilla posted:

It sucks poo poo op

:five:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Has OP made a video yet?

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
I am literally quarantine in my house so gently caress it I might get this stupid thing and do a dramatic reading of it if my lungs don't fill with fluid first

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

I am literally quarantine in my house so gently caress it I might get this stupid thing and do a dramatic reading of it if my lungs don't fill with fluid first

Where you at with this?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

Careful now; your lungs may fill with fluid just to stop you from inflicting that upon the world.

Edit: Gah, didn't realize this thread had been bumped from four days ago.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Did OP learn to accept criticism yet?

wesflarger
Feb 6, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Hector Delgado posted:

Is it a sequel to Bad Moms, Bad Santa, Bad Education, Bad Teacher, Bad Grandpa or one of the other "Bad" movies?

I actually got the idea from the movie Bad Lieutenant. I just didn't know what to call it and I wanted a simple title.

wesflarger
Feb 6, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Zippy the Bummer posted:

i completely forgot that this was supposed to be the purpose of the thread.

OP, your book sucks horse cock. You are a terrible writer and will almost certainly never find success as one. Your book is a weak dribbling piss into a sea of liquid poo poo. If your book was a person and I met them on the street I would throw a wasp nest at their head

You didn't even read it.

wesflarger
Feb 6, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

It's just some esoteric bible.

wesflarger
Feb 6, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Sailor Cat posted:

Lol. Anyway, there are tons of books written about being an angsty, misunderstood teenager/young adult that are just as authentic as yours, but are better-written. You can revise or rewrite your book and keep it authentic, it's not a betrayal to yourself or or your work. "To Kill a Mockingbird" started out as a entirely different novel, after all.

It's definitely not perfect and could be written in a more "professional" way, but I didn't want to write it like that. It's all a soliloquy and I wanted it to be solely from the protagonist's perspective.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

esoteric bible > sophomoric bile :smug:

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Post an excerpt that you're proud of, or at least okay with.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Did you come back because you heard Burt Sexual is no longer a mod?

Sartana
Jun 8, 2013

quote:

It's about a disillusioned teenage boy who is a suicidal drug addict with a family that couldn't care less about his existence.
Can someone who knows a lot about english and language and poo poo explain structurally why I can tell this guy is a bad writer based on this sentence alone

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

wesflarger posted:

It's definitely not perfect and could be written in a more "professional" way, but I didn't want to write it like that. It's all a soliloquy and I wanted it to be solely from the protagonist's perspective.

Some might say it could be written a lot of ways, OP.
"Better", for example.

Sailor Cat
Aug 28, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wesflarger posted:

That has nothing to do with the revision process. you dumb

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

anatomi posted:

Post an excerpt that you're proud of, or at least okay with.

The Cockler
Mar 31, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
hey guys what's going on in here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

quote:

It's about a disillusioned teenage boy who is a suicidal drug addict with a family that couldn't care less about his existence.

Sartana posted:

Can someone who knows a lot about english and language and poo poo explain structurally why I can tell this guy is a bad writer based on this sentence alone

The application of the word "disillusioned" tells us that the writer might well lack healthy distance and detachment from the point of view of the immature suicidal drug addict protagonist (himself as a youth). In fact addicts, the suicidal and the immature are usually under the spell of many resentful illusions (and have many self-centred delusions).

Self-published unedited unworkshopped autobiographical and semi-autobiographical works frequently do lack a healthy detachment.This is often one of the reasons why the authors of such works couldn't sell to a publisher.

"A family that couldn't care less about his existence", the author writes. Yet his parents clothed, fed and housed him, and presumably also gave him enough pocket money for him to afford the drugs he craved, in spite of him being, from the sounds of it, an ungrateful little poo poo who would later self publish a probably slanderous ebook in a vain attempt to "get even" with them.

All this screams "bad writer" from the page... mainly from the page of this thread, as few are likely to read the book in its current form, in spite of, or more correctly because of the ego-based self-promotion here.

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 2, 2020