Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Oh man, Animorphs! I had the whole book series as a kid, like, one to sixty eight(?), all in order on my shelves. I loved that poo poo.
man it's weird seeing Tobias as a person, not, y'know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Epicurius posted:

So there's our first alien. Any thoughts about the description here?

And that's chapter 2. Thoughts? For those of you who read it as kids, is it holding up? For those of you reading it for the first time, is it any good?

Yeah, it's holding up pretty well I think. I'm finding myself wanting more; c'mon, what happens next, who are these bad aliens? Even though I already know, it's still got me. I think Tobias is my favorite so far.
Andalites are loving weird, man

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Did anybody else catch the similarities between the Big Bad Transdimensional Entity of the later books and Korrok from the John Dies At The End series? I wonder if David Wong borrowed the idea from there.

The only thing I remember about any of that Krayak(?)/Ellimist plotline is that Ellimist sounded suspiciously similar to a lovely wizard in Forgotten Realms.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

In general, these kids are really accepting of everything going on.

Yeah, but it's necessary to set up the main thrust of the book and series. Spending a good long while dithering about would be pretty boring and ultimately accomplish very little.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

I wish we had more time inside the mind of a Good Boy

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Avalerion posted:

How old are all the main kids supposed to be anyway, don't remember if that got mentioned.

Mid to late teens, I thought. Like, 14-16. Old enough to run around town and fight aliens hang out without anybody really asking questions, but still young enough to need the whole family support structure (as opposed to getting one's own place and not living with a controller)

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 27, 2020

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Epicurius posted:

Their ages are actually stated later in the series, and I'm sticking it in spoiler tags.

In the next to last book, Jake tells us he's 16 and that he was 13 when the first book started

Jesus christ, that young to be thrown in the midst of all this? :stonk:

God, Tobias, you absolute lad. What a good human being.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Psh, only complete dips play Exo Squad. You wouldn't touch that lame crap, right?

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

What an exciting little adventure!

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Oh boy, 'ere we go!

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

SardonicTyrant posted:

Image in spoiler tags just in case.

Good heavens, just look at the time!

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

That was a pretty good read all told. I thought Tobias got hawk-locked later on, in book 3 or something. Still, this is pretty out there stuff for kidlit/young adult fiction. I'm diggin' it.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

redcheval posted:

I’m loving this reread and hoping you get through at least a few more books (if not more). It’s such a weird and interesting series. Some of the thicker one-offs were also great and SUPER weird, like the one where IIRC they get sucked back to dinosaur times and find the earth already inhabited by a sentient alien race, but they have to blow up a nuke to get bumped back to modern times and in doing so annihilate the entire species off the face of the planet..

e: got some details wrong but just skimmed the synopsis and it’s even wilder than I remember

:psyduck: What the hell?

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Epicurius posted:

One and a half, at least. The other alien species, we're led to believe, may have become ants

So you're saying it's an alien race of space-bugs that some human children xenocided on purpose?
Surprise, it's an Ender's Game reference!

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

I don't know if I'm just being weird, but I always thought the mid-morphing stuff was more "heckin cool!" than body horror.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Family members of notables are valid targets? Oh boy, we're playing by mujaheddin Wolverine rules now

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

All caught up once again. Jesus, this is brutal.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Just keep posting man, keep 'em coming.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Off to a great start, I see.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

That's making me curious to see what the setting would look like after the yeerk/animorph conflict is over. Like, are Humans with locally-built bug fighter clones going to dominate the galaxy through sheer weight of numbers?

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

I don't know what those geese did to deserve getting roadkilled by Visser Three, but I know they did something to deserve it

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Asking yourself "Will this person hurt birds?" is an entirely acceptable basis of morality.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

:suspense:

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

The funny thing is, when I read this as a kid it seemed like a plausible idea. Get sucked up, break loose, wreak havoc.

As an adult who works on ships for a living... well, assuming you could get into the tanks without being shredded by the pumps, you would never get out. Tanks are sealed from the outside and unless you're one of those ultra-rare plasma cutter fish, welp.

But don't tell Jake this, dude's got hella moxie.

came here to say this, basically. if not for narrative convenience this would very probably get them killed.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

I didn't even notice the mall stores that didn't exist. Holy poo poo, she put this in a kids book? And we're only just getting started?! :catstare:

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Epicurius posted:

It is. Although I think it's less that he wants her to see it and more that he wants to see her one last time and explain to her why he needs to do it.

While traveling slightly under mach 1? I don't think that's it.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

That's exactly what it is

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Flyin' low across the trees
Droppin' hawks on Visser Three
Andalites doing as they please
Napalm sticks to Yeerks

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

I bet he does. I mean, he hits basically every other item on the "lovely Boss" checklist.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

he is competent in all the worst ways, and stunningly inept in all the best ones

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

This thread just went from good to great

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

holy gently caress that's amazing

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I specifically recall it being honky tonk blues

for some reason i remember this too

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Well they survived (probably?) that's more than I was expecting.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

I mean there's nothing saying you can't morph into a bird mid-air so as long as they're not unconscious or something they're probably fine, right? R-right?

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

I can't wait to see what kind of stuff we get into next book. There was some real heavy poo poo in here.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

There's a few books we won't see for quite a while (but i think have been mentioned once or twice?) that show us that the Yeerks had a bit of a task just understanding Human society, even on such basic things as "People watch the news to gather information about current events". I mean, brain slugs don't have evening news and I bet Visser Three doesn't even watch the silly human talkbox. It's entirely possible that they don't yet understand how to (or have the means to) control the flow of information. The books like to paint the Animorphs as coming into the game halfway through and desperately trying to figure out what to do and how to do it, but I don't think the yeerks are much farther ahead in the game at this point.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Wait, can it be? Oh yeah. Oh yeah! Best Boy is about to enter the game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

13 is definitely fine for Animorphs, your relative will love this stuff.