Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

wizzardstaff posted:

Thanks to the series repeating this paragraph at least once per book, I've never forgotten what thermals are in my entire life.

Ahaha, so it wasn't just me! This series really cares about thermals.

While I think of it, do we ever get any info on how big the Yeerk and Andalite empires are? Tens of worlds, hundreds, half the galaxy?
I distinctly remember being eleven and catching a hint that the Yeerk empire isn't that huge, yet, and feeling absurdly relieved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Thanks for the Yeerk demography info, thread! Super interesting. This series is somehow better than I remember.
It's funny, as a kid I was sort of dutifully aware that the Chapman and Melissa stuff was bad, but as an actual parent decades later, it's horrifying.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I realised I can't remember what happens in Book 3, probably because I never owned my own copy. This is weirdly exciting! A whole new golden-age animorphs book!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

wizzardstaff posted:

The little aside about "we have to fly apart from each other because bird-watchers would think it weird to see so many species together" is repeated in each book and gets kind of old, but there is a nice payoff in the final act of the series when they are able to identify morphed Controllers by their unnatural flocking behavior.

There'd better be a similar payoff for thermals!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

Because Tobias inherited some of Elfangor's knowledge through their special mindmeld (presumably facilitated by the father-son connection)

Um, um, what? This is what I get for stopping at Book Nine or something.
Can I get a few more spoiler-tastic details? Sounds rad.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Epicurius posted:

If you really want to know. Long story short, when Elfangor is a cadet in the '70s, he saves a human woman from alien abduction and they fall in love. He becomes a human nothlit, marries her, and they have a son. Because he's important to the timeline, though, the Ellimist convinces him he's important in the fight against the Yeerks, and that timeline is wiped out, although his son, Tobias, continues to exist.

!!!
Seerow's Kindness, yikes

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I wonder if Tobias will have a normal hawk lifespan while morphed or if he lives as long as a human. I would guess the hawk one which is kind of a bummer.

The lifespan of a hawk that steals from wolf packs, no less!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
...incidentally, what does the thread title refer to?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

chitoryu12 posted:

We need a book where the aliens give a unit of time that their universal translator has given them but is actually wildly off from the real time.

"You can only stay morphed for two hundred and eighty seven years. After that, you'll be trapped forever in that form!!"

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
KID'S FUN READING QUIZ- CHAPTER 15
1. Draw the animal you would most like to be!
2. Unscramble these words: HAKW MSOUE SQRRULIE
3. When Tobias seeks solace in oblivion and fails, what causes him more pain: the knowledge that he failed, or the fact that he tried?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Epicurius posted:

To be fair, most adults don't fully grasp the sunk cost concept.

Animorphs is really a collection of Stuff That Adults Don't Get, But Should.
Like war being bad and messing people up permanently, and the natural world being awesome...

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Krazyface posted:

I believe they have better depth perception but weaker colour distinction. I don't know why my brain holds onto this information, but there you go.

I have to concentrate to remember the names of the friends I had when I was ten, but 25 years later I still know what a z-space transponder is, and how large it is. Why. Why.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
But it's futuristic!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

I am HERE for the Mignolamorphs

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
You buffoon. You clown. Dolphins are not-

Safety Biscuits posted:

Before anyone complains, yes, I know dolphins aren't fish, ok? This is the best I could do.

-aw man.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

nine-gear crow posted:

I do appreciate that for as adept as Cassie is at the actual physical act of morphing, being able to control it to an almost artistic degree at times, she’s kind fo garbage at keeping the morph’s animal instincts in check. It’s a nice little balance.

Good point!
These books are honestly a lot better than I remember.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

chitoryu12 posted:

The Yeerk cops are freaking out and tasing passing birds. An Internal Affairs investigation (surprisingly, no Yeerks involved) has determined that they felt their lives were threatened.

Listen here buddy. Yeerks are the thin grey line between us and lawlessness.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

SardonicTyrant posted:

There's something definitely off about him. No other Yeerk comes off as that crazy.

There's that added layer as an adult reader: Visser Three really is the worst boss, and we've all met him.

e: was it just me, or were dolphins a massive *thing* in the 90's?

Tree Bucket fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 9, 2020

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Whale Jesus is extremely late-90s. I like that Applegate sort of grounds it with the looking-for-ladies aspect, at least!
I completely forgot this scene, but "I don't want to die as some fish" really stuck in junior me's head, for some reason.

On another note, is anyone else bugged by the fact that Marco's tail turns into his legs? He's not a seal. It's like the "knees reversing" thing a few books ago.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Agaragon posted:

Cetus Ex Machina.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Hang on, any ship that spends more than three days away from port can be guaranteed Yeerk-free, right?
Does that make the world's submariners and sardine fishermen the first line of defence against invasion from the stars?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I honestly can't wait for the next chapter. Come on come on come on!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I guess the idea is, the Yeerks' plans for Earth are not too dissimilar from those of us humans. I mean, we are doing a really good job of eliminating any species we don't farm.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

PetraCore posted:

That makes a lot more sense, thanks.

...you know, I get the feeling a lot of the kids who grew up reading Animorphs eventually wound up on KSBD.
Weird species! Questions of identity! Shape-shifting! Horrifying moral dilemmas! Rad action sequences!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
It's been years, but the exploding Taxxons really stuck in my head. And I remember trying to draw the Mardrut, and thinking it was cool that Ax had some weird in-built time-tracking ability.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Can whales actually hit stuff with their tales? Wouldn't that just, like, push them through the water?
That said, I imagine getting hit by a fast-moving sperm whale would be extremely unpleasant.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
It's great that, re-reading Animorphs as an adult, Visser 3 is immediately identifiable as every crappy manager ever.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
"Regional Manager, Patrick Visser III"
"John Visser, Human Resources Consultant"
"Karen Visser: Lead Departmental Supervisor of Core Competencialization and Actualized Keystoning"

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Grammarchist posted:

I can't help but picture these punks as the thieves who bought Magilla Gorilla from Mr. Peebles pet shop to assist in robbing a bank. I guess where normal people see a terrifying force of nature these guys saw "free Great Ape."

Or, "great! Free ape"

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
That mall description made me flinch. No one's wearing masks!

Epicurius posted:

This is just a list of dead and dying mall stores now.

Ouch

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
"Oh no! Ax has gotten into the telegraph station!"
"Look out! Ax is headed for the candle manufactory"

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
"These pincers are most excellent, though" is one of the best Ax lines

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Shame it's not lobsters, I like the image of 6 lobsters crawling into Chapman's front door in a line while he blithely ignores them.

I got an actual lol from this one

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

SirSamVimes posted:

Glad to see the thread agrees with the Objectively Correct opinion that Marco and Ax are the best.

Well, of course. That's just science.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
The numbered Visser system is interesting; it means the high ranking dudes at least have no equals/colleagues- just losers lower on the ladder or targets higher up. Sort of guaranteed to create toxic relationships.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
How are Vissers selected? Is that ever revealed?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

nine-gear crow posted:

Also now that Visser One has shown up alongside Visser Three this officially kicks off the series' long-running, unspoken, absence-induced gag of "Who/where is Visser Two?" to which I've personally come to assume that Visser Two is just a 1:1 analog to the drummer from Spinal Tap. There is a veritable assembly line of Visser Twos who last about a week before they're claimed by a hilarious improbable accident or happenstance, and the reason why Visser Three stays Visser Three is because Esplin knows that the rank of Visser Two is cursed so he wants to just jump right over it to Visser One.

I really need a Visser 2 Stupid Death Montage now

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

nine-gear crow posted:

Visser Two, Eldash-214, Cause of death: Host instantly combusted upon arrival on Hork-Bajir Homeworld

Visser Two, Vindaar-378, Cause of death: Blade Ship emerged from Z-Space on the event horizon of a black hole

Visser Two, Kelsam-4377 (the Primary), Cause of death: Murdered and replaced by Kelsam-4377 the Secondary in a fit of jealous rage

Visser Two, Kelsam-4377 (the Seconary), Cause of death: Accidental poisoning related to "Taxxon bodily fluid", further investigation needed

Visser Two, Arndish-112, Cause of death: Dracon beam misfire

Visser Two, Gerthim-047, Cause of death: Carol

Visser Two, Ulnarf-656, Cause of death: [DATA ERROR - POSSIBLE TEMPORAL ANOMALY]

Visser Two, Zirkan-150, Cause of death: Stampede of giant bird-like creatures

Visser Two, Eldeth-247, Cause of death: Military parade mishap

Visser Two, Viirath-777, Cause of death: Fell into Earth Grand Canyon chasing wayward $20 currency notation

Visser Two, Orlan-912, Cause of death: Mild Treason

Visser Two, Tirmak-530, Cause of death: Experimental robot malfunction

Visser Two, Galaf-028, Cause of death: "Host's chest exploded, small unidentified lifeform emerged from the body"

Visser Two, Minaar-379, Cause of death: First contact with higher dimensional being

Visser Two, Rantash-002, Cause of death: Suicide, three dracon blasts to back of head

Ms Applegate? I-is that you?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

PetraCore posted:

Agree to disagree on the basis that the Chee are good. The rest I can mostly do without.

EDIT: What I like is that the Chee primarily care about dogs, and mostly care about humans as a sort of extension of their actual focus, which is dogs, because humans also care about dogs and take care of dogs. The dogs are the important thing, when Chee want to defy their pacifism to fight for earth it is entirely because of the dogs, and humanity is an afterthought. I thought that was really funny and endearing.

I have no idea what any of this means, but I can really sympathise with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
If anything, the brutal, hyper-competitive nature of Yeerk society is probably excellent training for the high school social scene.