Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

I think it's worth mentioning that, despite all of the other directly name-dropped pop-culture references in this series, "Jeremy Jason McCole" from "Power House" is clearly a stand-in for Jonathan Taylor Thomas. Joe Bob Fenestre from one of the later books is also a stand in for Bill Gates, so they probably just didn't want to get in trouble for writing real-life people as villains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Epicurius posted:

When he rapped out the word “Andalite!” she kept walking and without hesitation said, “Yeah, a light would be helpful, too.”
This stood out to me more than anything else when I read this series as a kid. Cassie is so cool.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

What always bugged me was: when you morph something small, the extra mass gets shoved off to z-space, okay. When you morph something big, are you borrowing the mass of somebody else who's currently morphed small? Or do you keep the same mass and just have the density of styrofoam?

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

The Tolkien fan authors at it again, with their very own version of "do balrogs have wings?"

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

How are Jara and Ket married? Jara mentions much later that he was young enough to have been born in captivity and presumably Ket is of a similar age, so did they happen to strike up a relationship during the moments while their yeerks were both out in the pool?

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Epicurius posted:

So I just want to talk for a second about how a caterpillar turns into a butterfly. You might think, like I did, that you know, the caterpillar sits in there, and then, I dunno, wings grow on it and other things. That's not what happens at all.

So caterpillars have this hormone that stops maturity, so as it grows, it molts its outer skin and grows bigger. Eventually, though, the hormone stops being produced, The caterpillar molts it skin, and attaches itself to a plant, and then the new skin gets hard. Meanwhile, inside there, the caterpillar starts dissolving. It just breaks down. The caterpillar has these cells colonies in it, for wings and all the stuff that a butterfly has, that normally the hormone stops from growing. Now that it's gone, these cells grow, feeing off the slurry that was the caterpillar, and a butterfly forms out of it. It breaks itself out of the chrysalis (which, remember, is the hardened skin of the caterpillar, and then goes off to do its butterfly things, which is basically eating and having sex. It's a total transformation though. It's almost like the caterpillar and the butterfly are completely different animals.
So I'm really late to this one but I really have to ask. How the gently caress does this process evolve?

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Poor David. Did he deserve his fate? I dunno. But I feel awful for him either way (and so the Animorphs, seemingly).

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Isn't the Lerdethak the morph he used when they were in the Amazon?

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

I'm so glad everyone else is having the exact same reaction I just did when I saw the word "Helmacron."

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Weirdly enough, I think "I am Canadese" is the one phrase from this entire series that's most solidly entered my lexicon. Totally forgot it was from this book!

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Edna Mode posted:

I didn't think about this before, but why doesn't Jake's memories get added to the collective pool when he morphs the Howler? I guess the consciousness is only one way when you morph?

Yeah I'd guess since memories are stored in the brain, not DNA, and the information stored in your own brain presumably gets shoved off into Z-space when you morph, all the Howler collective memory has to take from a morphed Howler is a blank slate.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

A lot of these middle-of-the-series books blend together, but I do remember that I'm down with this book.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Why not ask the Chee to brain surgery Ax while they're at it? Surely one of them must have been a xenoneurosurgeon at some point. Or is surgery too violent an action for them to perform?

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

:smith:

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

WrightOfWay posted:

Is Visser Three actually good at combat? He's certainly personally formidable but it seems like his only real military victory on screen in the series so far is defeating a vastly outnumbered Andalite Dome Ship at the beginning.

At the very least being able to read Alloran's brain seems like it would be a massive strategic advantage for him.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

CidGregor posted:

I was wondering exactly this myself. It seems like we always refer to V1 as female just because of being in marco's mom and V3 as male because of Alloran and so on for simplicity's sake, but I legit don't remember if Yeerk genders are addressed as a thing. Part of me actually wants to say "no." If their reproduction process involves three Yeerks, it's kind of a lot harder to conceptualize a species having three genders instead of one/genderless, and it's far easier to extrapolate that they just kind of assume the gendered pronouns of their hosts for convenience.

Yeah, who could even imagine a world without a gender binary

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Oh, poo poo.

It's this book.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Yeah, and like, even if Visser Three inherited Alloran's prejudices about Mertil, it's still strategically advantageous on at least three levels to infest him. He's got more up-to-date insider intel than Alloran, he's still an ace fighter pilot, and it's a slap in the face that the Yeerks have now infested two Andalites. It doesn't even take away your leverage with Gaf, because nobody ever has to know he was infested at all.

...I really hope Mertil wasn't secretly infested.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Tree Bucket posted:

I can't believe Jake hates democracy and freedom

Jake hates handguns specifically but he's super into assault rifles to arm the proletariat

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Man, I'd forgotten about this one. What a fantastically stupid premise.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

:getin:

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

"Perhaps he was dictating-" "Oh, shut up!"

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

quote:

“Who are you?!” the child raged. “Who are you to play games with us? And why are you called 'The xXe11imi$t_420Xx [RDT]'?"

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

fitting that an entire civilization is destroyed because aliens caught their Twitch broadcasts

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

quote:

I had devised a tactic of improvising in duet. I would offer a musical phrase, play for a few moments, then invite him to pick up the thread and extrapolate.

Father could not. And his efforts were pitiful.
Turns out Father could only be defeated with the power of j a z z

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Did V1 just go directly between morphs?

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Taxxon-Controllers apparently make great pilots, so they've got that going for them at least. I guess.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Great to have you back, glad you're doing well! And hey, is that our first official artwork of a taxxon?

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Thanks for taking us through this journey, Epicurius! Hope you have some more time to focus on your health now.
The first Alternamorphs book was the first thing I actually ever read from the series, so I'm looking forward to reliving it now.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

I have no memory of this place, so sure, I'm actually looking forward to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Wow.

This sucks.