Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

NFL football is over and it won't be back till the fall. Meanwhile all sports are canceled because of our impending viral doom. To assuage our boredom while we're all quarantined, what are we going to talk about? Free agency? The draft? Yeah there's threads for that (oh my god bill O'Brien you loving moron) but we need more entertainment and we need to take our minds off of the apocalypse.

So in this thread let's watch a bunch of football movies and then talk about them. A football movie can totally be a documentary, it doesn't have to be fiction, but let's focus on feature-length movies for now, there's plenty of them to watch. Like, a lot. Way more than I thought there'd be.

I suggest we make a list of football movies (see below) and then we'll pick which ones to watch, and then we'll watch maybe one or two each week? Before we watch a football movie let's have a polite no-spoilers rule, in case anyone hasn't seen that movie and wants to properly enjoy it. You can still post spoilers just use the spoiler tags and say which movie you're spoiling. After we watch that movie, we can all openly discuss the movie.

This is not cinema discusso, you don't have to be some kind of fancy movie critic although if someone wants to properly effort post about the football movie, that'd be excellent. It's also OK to just say you liked or hated it and maybe a little bit about why.

How to watch
Most of these flicks are gonna be on one streaming service or another. https://justwatch.com is a good resource for figuring that out. Some of these movies will cost money to stream, so it's on you to decide if you want to do that.

List of every football movie
I've done some queries on IMDB to build this list, by using keyword search. However, there were tons of false positives, because IMDB keywords are apparently set by people who think if the word “football” occurs in the script ever, it's a football movie. So they have movies like The Dark Knight Rises and Boyz n the Hood tagged as football movies. Anyway, I've probably missed a bunch so please suggest more football movies if you can think of them. e. I've added several more from suggestions in the thread.

Wildcats (1986)
Lucas (1986)
All the Right Moves (1983)
The Replacements
Necessary Roughness
Varsity Blues
Remember the Titans
Rudy
MASH
The Express
Brian's Song (1971)
Brian's Song (2001)
The Freshman (1925)
Silver Linings Playbook?
The Perks of being a Wallflower?
The Waterboy
The Longest Yard (1974) DONE
The Longest Yard (2005)
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective
Jerry Maguire
Concussion
Friday Night Lights
The Last Boy Scout
We Are Marshall
Invincible
The Last Match
Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk?
Any Given Sunday
Johnny Be Good
Buffalo '66?
Draft Day
Little Giants
Heaven Can Wait?
The Ice Storm?
Fired Up!
School Ties
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof?
Gridiron Gang
The Prince of Tides?
The Program
Leatherheads
Facing the Giants
OJ: Made in America?
Radio?
Sugar and Spice?
Huddle?
The Best of Times
Everybody's All-American?
Angus?
The Comebacks
My All-American
North Dallas Forty
Black Sunday?
Air Bud: Golden Receiver
Horse Feathers (1932)
Division III: Football's Finest
Undefeated
Paper Lion
Good News (1947)?
Pigskin Parade (1936)
Knute Rockney All American
Number One (1969)?
Catching Faith 2: The Homecoming
Head Games
The Iron Major (1943)
Good News (1930)?
The Girl from Manhattan? (1948)
The Guy who Came Back (1951)
Crazylegs (1953)
Harvard Beats Yale 29-29
The All-American (1932)
The Walk-On's (1938)
The Quarterback (1926)
Eyes Right! (1926)?
The United States of Football
48 Minute Fight: Unfinished Business

OK what movies should we watch first? Also if this is a terrible idea then I'm sorry in advance.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Apr 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also,

swickles posted:

I would say same time, we can meet on discord and say and have a timer set to begin. The hardest part would be figuring out what streaming services most people have.

Athanatos posted:

Other SA forums use this cytu.be (Not linked because it sometimes has NWS stuff). A person broadcasts and every piles in. There is a google drive addon that you can broadcast your own downloaded stuff to everyone synced.

If you guys want to try and set up times and ways to stream/watch a movie at the same time and do it like a GDT style thing that would be cool too? But time zones and copyrights etc. so :shrug: figure it out if you can

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Varsity Blues is missing!

edit: Also to start off I have access to the following:

Netflix
Hulu
HBO Now
Disney+
Amazon Prime
Showtime

There are also a ton of free services out there that I have accounts for, but usually only use those to watch something specific.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Um, Necessary Roughness

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ok added Varsity Blues and Necessary Roughness (seriously, IMDB tagging sucks).

I've got netflix, HBO, amazon prime, and the youtubes. Oh and CBS all access, as if that would matter lol.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Blue Mountain State and Eyeshield 21

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
The Replacements!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Chichevache posted:

Blue Mountain State and Eyeshield 21

I didn't include TV shows, just movies. But we could totally do TV shows? Is the idea we just binge a whole season?

Ben Nevis posted:

The Replacements!

I don't know how in the gently caress that wasn't on the list, it's my favorite football movie. Jesus.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
This is where I confess I've never saw Cat on a Hot tin Roof so it has football?!?!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Leperflesh posted:

I didn't include TV shows, just movies. But we could totally do TV shows? Is the idea we just binge a whole season?

Do any of us have anything better to do?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Its Rinaldo posted:

This is where I confess I've never saw Cat on a Hot tin Roof so it has football?!?!

IMDB says posted:

Brick Pollitt (Paul Newman), an alcoholic ex-football player, drinks his days away and resists the affections of his wife, Maggie (Dame Elizabeth Taylor). His reunion with his father, Big Daddy (Burl Ives), who is dying of cancer, jogs a host of memories and revelations for both father and son.

I mean he's an ex-football player, maybe it has football? I haven't seen it either

Chichevache posted:

Do any of us have anything better to do?

you don't even have time for a video game, how do you have time to watch the 100 movies in the OP and also whole TV series?

but sure man we can watch some football TV too, if people want to, I made the OP but I'm not actually in charge here

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
The Last Boyscout is a football movie for exactly one scene if I remember right.

It might be the most memorable football scene in any film though. This is not a pro or anti Last Boyscout being on the list take.

e: Oh god we could all hate watch Rudy.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 18, 2020

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

added Rudy. The Last Boy Scout totally counts :colbert:

What do you guys want to watch first? I was thinking the waterboy because we've all seen it already and can just check it off the list and get to bagging on it, but I dunno maybe that'd just kill the thread dead. Maybe one of the obscure 1930s black and white things?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

They actually made a BMS movie

Also, don't forget about Brian's Song

e: Oh! And The Express. Good movie right there.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I made a thread in the general SAS about this concept: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3917218

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Leperflesh posted:

you don't even have time for a video game, how do you have time to watch the 100 movies in the OP and also whole TV series?

but sure man we can watch some football TV too, if people want to, I made the OP but I'm not actually in charge here

I have time. I'm not allowed to.

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

The person can drink sake for the following five reasons. First of all, for the national holiday. Moreover, it fills with the nectar. Finally, for reasons. Next, to heal the dryness of the place. After that, to refuse the future
Fun Shoe
You forgot MASH.

The movie was even better than the TV show it inspired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6eYjus_Olc

Looks like it's free on hulu.

I'll have to rewatch The Waterboy - haven't seen that in years.

I'll let you all know when In get around to watching movies I haven't seen on this list.

defaultluser fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Mar 18, 2020

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dango Bango posted:

They actually made a BMS movie

Also, don't forget about Brian's Song

e: Oh! And The Express. Good movie right there.

There's multiple Brian's Songs, so I think you're talking about the 1971 made for TV movie?
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068315/

but there's also a 2001 remake:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0289873/

I'll add The Express to the list.

Edward Mass posted:

I made a thread in the general SAS about this concept: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3917218

Well how about that. Great minds think alike? I like your idea of just posting a time and everyone watch it at that time, although I'm betting a lot of random folks can't watch it at that particular time, especially given time zones. But maybe it could work???

defaultluser posted:

You forgot MASH.

The movie was even better than the TV show it inspired.

OK I'll allow it. Added.

Chichevache posted:

I have time. I'm not allowed to.

Huh. I hope you got something more than a 2nd and David Johnson in trade for that.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I do need to watch The Waterboy again, mostly because I remember a few jokes but have no idea how much they hold up today.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Relevant to this thread:

https://twitter.com/stendahlknows/status/1239641079424507905?s=21

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
You missed The Freshman (1925)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mH6N-Tbddc

The football part doesn't start until nearly a half an hour in, but the physical comedy holds up quite well.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
There aren't many good football movies imo. Rollerball (1975) might be the best movie about football, even though the sport played in it isn't actually football.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

General Dog posted:

There aren't many good football movies imo. Rollerball (1975) might be the best movie about football, even though the sport played in it isn't actually football.

Seconding Rollerball for those that want a good general sports movie. Haven't seen the remake & have no desire to.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Thanks for this, sent it around to my family if they might wanna use it who are finally starting to take things a little seriously.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Added The Freshman. Didn't add Rollerball because if we just add movies that are football-adjacent we'll have way too many movies; and also because there's already that other general-sports-movies thread that Edward Mass linked to up above.

So far there's about a dozen folks interested/posting, which might be all we get for now.

Let's have a quick poll, please rank these movies in order in which you want to watch them:

The Replacements
Necessary Roughness
Varsity Blues
Remember the Titans
Rudy
MASH
The Express
Brian's Song (1971)
Brian's Song (2001)
The Freshman (1925)
The Waterboy
The Longest Yard (1974)
The Longest Yard (2005)
Jerry Maguire
The Last Boy Scout
Any Given Sunday

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 19, 2020

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
For some reason I had to watch Brian's Song in highschool. I cannot remember what the justification was for the life of me.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

For some reason I had to watch Brian's Song in highschool. I cannot remember what the justification was for the life of me.

The answer to that, you should learn by now, is that your teacher was hungover.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I hope The Longest Yard listed refers to the badass original.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Darth Brooks posted:

I hope The Longest Yard listed refers to the badass original.

ah gently caress

OK yeah there's two The Longest Yards, obviously we have to watch them both so we can compare and contrast

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

The person can drink sake for the following five reasons. First of all, for the national holiday. Moreover, it fills with the nectar. Finally, for reasons. Next, to heal the dryness of the place. After that, to refuse the future
Fun Shoe
I just finished watching The Longest Yard with Burt Reynolds. I have previously seen the Adam Sandler version.

The original is somewhat better. Burt Reynolds is way worse to watch in the first 45 minutes of the movie, but once he stops acting, the original does a better job of portraying the actual Football.

Both movies are pretty cheesy but each have their strengths.

defaultluser fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 22, 2020

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK since nobody wants to vote (and I forgot about the thread for a day, had some poo poo happening), defaultluser has decided for us. Thank you, defaultluser!

We are now watching The Longest Yard with Burt Reynolds.

Here's how to watch it legally:

So, it's free on Netflix, and you gotta pay three bucks to watch it on a bunch of other streaming services.

SPOILERS ARE NOW UNLOCKED for this movie, if you haven't watched it yet, don't scroll down unless you don't mind spoilers, go watch it and then report back to the thread. I hope this works. Don't yell at me.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
If we're still suggesting movies, might I offer an insane Italian action film called The Last Match? Coach Ernest Borgnine leads his team of players on a commando raid to rescue some bigwig's daughter, and a kicker destroys an enemy helicopter with a football stuffed with explosives. Jim Kiick is in it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

poo poo yeah I'll put that on the list, sounds great!

Also I just watched the longest yard with burt reynolds. That sure is a movie. I'll probably write up a few comments later.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I love the original Longest Yard - to point where I won't watch the remake because I know it couldn't hold up

One of my favorite scenes is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84VVZEw9vBs

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Amazon and IMDB just put a bunch of stuff up for free because of the quarantine and one of the titles is Little Giants, so I am gonna watch that soon.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK The Longest Yard (1974)

Summary
Burt Reynolds plays Burt Reynolds, a piece of poo poo loser ex-football player who wakes up one morning and decides he doesn't like the lady he's sleeping with any more so might as well throw his life away in a really dumb way. He physically abuses her, steals her maserati citroen, goes for a joyride, destroys the car, and then assaults some cops, earning an 18 month prison sentence. The piece of poo poo prison warden's staff are his pet football team, which he likes to play against the "semi-pros", and he cares about nothing else than his team showing off and being better than those semi-pros. His top leutenant guy is a piece of poo poo who actually plays/coaches that guard team. So Burt Reynolds has to put together a team from prisoners to play a practice game against the guards team so they can get some good practice in and maybe then they'll win the title. There's a sub-plot where Burt got caught gambling/throwing the game and kicked out of the NFL, and so everyone in the prison hates him, as they properly should.
He puts together the team, there's interpersonal conflicts, and just before the big game, the coach Burt picked to put the team together with him is murdered by a narc. By halftime they're losing by only 1 point and the warden is scared they'll lose, so he forces Burt to throw the game by threatening to pin the murder on him. He agrees, but after giving away 21 points to the guards, the warden reneges on the agreement to not beat the poo poo out of the prisoners, doing the exact opposite, so the Burt rallies his team, they murder a couple of guards on the field, and go on to win. In the end, the piece of poo poo top liutenant guy has earned respect for Burt for being a winner or whatever and declines to murder him given the chance.

As a movie
It's OK. There's some cool scenes. There are some bad tonal shifts, where we're supposed to be taking things seriously and feeling bad for the prisoners, and then suddenly there's some slapstick. It's bizarre that we're supposed to believe a football game wouldn't be stopped after the first guy literally has his neck broken on the field, but they just play on through one crippling injury after the next, and another guard is literally killed and they still keep playing. OK whatever. I like that the movie treats the racial tension in the prison, and with the integration of black players onto the team, in a way that is nicely honest and direct for the 1970s. It bothers me that we're supposed to actually like Burt Reynolds' character, but I think at the time the movie came out, Burt Reynolds' reputation as a sex model actor with loads of charisma is used by the filmmakers as a stand-in for actually writing a character that is sympathetic from the start. Despite that, I think the movie is paced OK, the acting is fine for the most part, and I don't regret watching it.

Football
There's only one actual football game in this movie, in the fourth and fifth acts. The bulk of the movie is spent setting up that one game, which is OK. I appreciate that the filmmakers didn't do that thing where only five players have speaking lines and then random players suddenly appear on the field to play defense etc. without really acknowledging them: the movie sets up that there's actual linemen and defense and stuff, and they have things to do. Still, the protagonist is the QB and in the end, all of the football winning is done by him. The plays on the field are well done: the QB calls a play in the huddle and then that's the play they actually play. The referees vaccilate between rank incompetence in missing flagrant fouls, and inexplicable fairness in penalizing the guards equally to the prisoners. The pacing of the game sorta makes sense, they don't try to show every play which would be a mistake. All in all I give the football shown in this movie about a B grade; we'll see some much worse stuff from some of the other movies on the list, but also I think a few better examples.

Final marks
I give the movie about a C. Burt Reynolds was never that great of an actor, he carries movies on his charisma, and this movie sets a lot of stuff up to work against him because his character is, as previously mentioned, a piece of poo poo. As a football movie it works OK, it has no pretensions of showing us actually good football, but what they do show us is appropriate to the plot.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Burt Reynolds was never that great of an actor

How does it feel to throw away years building credit as one of the forums smartest and wisest members with a single sentence fragment?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

He's a screen personality, but his acting is basically "be burt reynolds" which certain actors get away with. I loved him in Burt Reynolds plays Burt Reynolds in Smokey And the Burt Reynoldsandit, don't get me wrong, but he is still just Burt Reynolds in all his movies.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

swickles posted:

How does it feel to throw away years building credit as one of the forums smartest and wisest members with a single sentence fragment?

He has a long history of terrible opinions but the ability to copy paste regurgitate useless facts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I like that Reynolds has the uniform on backwards for the movie poster.