Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Professor Duck posted:

Man, what is all that garbage? There is nothing about this that seems straightforward except smacking things in the face

The straightforward plan seems to be working at least! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

BrokenLink posted:

In this game there are prerequisites for sword magic, you need to have the title of sword master, that is have 60+ magic and physical stats and you may need to "remember it" as well on top of the awkward execution of pressing the magic button mid swing. spoilers just in case you wanted to figure it out yourself.

Oh poo poo, so this is where that wack-rear end laserblade projectile combo move in armored core comes from.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Crazy Achmed posted:

Oh poo poo, so this is where that wack-rear end laserblade projectile combo move in armored core comes from.

Yep, From software has included the Moonlight and the moves in every single game of theirs.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Oddly enough, playing the video at 1.25x speed actually makes King's Field look nearly playable.

Anyway, I think when the music changed on the second floor (that was the one with the shops right, the second?), there's some kind of event happening--but I don't remember what. It's been a long time since I read about it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I like to play all videos at double speed. It beats having to toggle forward every so often. Also makes enemies taking the statue death fall look cartoony.

The pitfall bridges?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Funny enough, this time around the speed is a lot less of a problem! Well... maybe less of a problem isn't the right way to put it. It becomes a whole different can of worms to deal with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awY5TI7F28Y

And that, amazingly, is King's Field completed! Definitely missed some secrets along the way, I'm sure, but it's kind of awesome seeing that the whole "unexplained sidequests, hidden walls, treasure that completely breaks the game" mold that Dark Souls used is at least 25 years old.

Soon, we begin King's Field 2, but the US version, so it'll also be called King's Field. Not at all confusing!

I'm hype for it myself, in no small part because it's one of my favorite PSX games I haven't finished yet. I even got a long box copy of it and everything. :getin:

BrokenLink
Apr 27, 2013
Sorry, I checked and it turns out you need 80 magic and phys. for the moonlight sword and triple fang, 60 only lets you use the colichemarde and flame sword magic.
Glad you still got past that though.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I'm actually really surprised that the golems don't severely damage or one-hit-kill you outright if they fall on you.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Well, that was certainly interesting to see. But I kind of get the feeling that you missed not only some secrets, but also a part of the story somehow... Why are you fighting a tree at the end who is apparently also the king's child? Why does the tree try to open some sort of dark portal? What about that Black Knight the soldier mentioned, or is the tree the Black Knight? And I think according to the rude man who took your first Truth Mirror, a dark magician was also supposed to be involved at some point. And for a gameplay question: Is there an actual strategy to that boss or are you just supposed to damage-race it?

Carpator Diei fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Mar 30, 2020

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Can you defeat those faces on the wall? That boss was intense.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Carpator Diei posted:

Well, that was certainly interesting to see. But I kind of get the feeling that you missed not only some secrets, but also a part of the story somehow... Why are you fighting a tree at the end who is apparently also the king's child? Why does the tree try to open some sort of dark portal? What about that Black Knight the soldier mentioned, or is the tree the Black Knight? And I think according to the rude man who took your first Truth Mirror, a dark magician was also supposed to be involved at some point. And for a gameplay question: Is there an actual strategy to that boss or are you just supposed to damage-race it?

The best answer to both is :shrug:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I like how at the endgame enemies don't seem to drop anything. I wonder if there's some ultra-rare item drops that are definitely not worth grinding for.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Scalding Coffee posted:

Can you defeat those faces on the wall? That boss was intense.

As far as I can tell, the wall faces are indestructible. I've seen a fight against this boss before and it went basically the exact same way, so I think slamming your face into it and healing a lot is the normal way to go about it.

Carpator Diei posted:

Well, that was certainly interesting to see. But I kind of get the feeling that you missed not only some secrets, but also a part of the story somehow... Why are you fighting a tree at the end who is apparently also the king's child? Why does the tree try to open some sort of dark portal? What about that Black Knight the soldier mentioned, or is the tree the Black Knight? And I think according to the rude man who took your first Truth Mirror, a dark magician was also supposed to be involved at some point.

Good questions that I have no answers for! :v:

I think that the wizard who turned into a skeleton may have been the dark magician though.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Dewgy posted:

As far as I can tell, the wall faces are indestructible. I've seen a fight against this boss before and it went basically the exact same way, so I think slamming your face into it and healing a lot is the normal way to go about it.

They're the same ones we encountered earlier, that came with handy wall graffiti that told us they were indestructible.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Professor Duck posted:

They're the same ones we encountered earlier, that came with handy wall graffiti that told us they were indestructible.

I wasn't 100% sure on that at the time! I feel like the ones at the end looked a little different, but it was probably just because I had a side view instead of them being at the ends of hallways.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

All of the King's Field story is in the background materials released later. It doesn't make sense between the games without them, because it is full of retcons to force the games to make sense.

If I remember correctly, we fought the King's son because he was being possessed by the black dragon demigod of light, Guyra, who was trying to resurrect himself.

I forget if King's Field II goes into this, but as for why the tree wants the Moonlight Sword:

The Moonlight Sword is Guyra's sword, and a necessary item for his revival.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 30, 2020

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Tallgeese posted:

All of the King's Field story is in the background materials released later. It doesn't make sense between the games without them, because it is full of retcons to force the games to make sense.

If I remember correctly, we fought the King's son because he was being possessed by the black dragon demigod of light, Guyra, who was trying to resurrect himself.

I forget if King's Field II goes into this, but as for why the tree wants the Moonlight Sword:

The Moonlight Sword is Guyra's sword, and a necessary item for his revival.

Are the background materials only in Japanese? It would be cool to see them. King's Field has a lot of lore but I'd be damned if I understood any of it. There was a series of videos on YouTube that someone did explaining the lore of the series covering each game, but I think it mentions stuff we haven't seen yet, only in the next games.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

They were part of the Dark SIde Box trilogy collection. I am uncertain if they were translated. I would check the Sword of Moonlight forum.

That said, yeah, knowing the background spoils a fair bit... then again, so does playing Dark Souls.

Oh, by the way, correction: Guyra wasn't "quite" trying to revive. He wanted someone to possess so he could intercede more directly in the living world. The rest is basically right.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 30, 2020

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hi, I like King's Field and I just wanted to say that the best way to interpret the entirety of the first King's Field game is as a prototype draft of the story of the Bed of Chaos in Dark Souls.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
I swear your HP was reading as 0 at least 3 times during that final boss fight. I gotta admit, that evil basement tree made the one in Alone in the Dark look like an absolute wimp. But still, it seems incredibly unfair to make the final boss of a hack and slash game something you could neither hack nor slash.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Easy to survive death when the game runs faster than the death animation. It could be the armor regen keeping him alive.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Could you have used the pillar as cover during the boss fight? Or is the draw distance too short to see your target from that far away?

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Edvarius posted:

I swear your HP was reading as 0 at least 3 times during that final boss fight. I gotta admit, that evil basement tree made the one in Alone in the Dark look like an absolute wimp. But still, it seems incredibly unfair to make the final boss of a hack and slash game something you could neither hack nor slash.

I was pretty sure of that, too. I'll take the end result, though!

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Edvarius posted:

I'm pretty sure the idea was to use the Moonlight Sword's sword magic on it, they just didn't figure out how to do that during the course of the LP.

PS: I noticed y'all switched to the the Triple Fang a couple times, I assume for the regen? But the Moonlight Sword was also giving regen.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
A piece of armor was also giving health regen and a stronger one than the Triple Fang.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

malkav11 posted:

I'm pretty sure the idea was to use the Moonlight Sword's sword magic on it, they just didn't figure out how to do that during the course of the LP.

PS: I noticed y'all switched to the the Triple Fang a couple times, I assume for the regen? But the Moonlight Sword was also giving regen.

Yeah I ended up noticing that eventually. :v:

I think we did figure out how to use the magic but never ended up beefing the stats high enough so that it actually...well, worked.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
And we continue! Finally. With the sequel, first US release, and extremely painful experience of King's Field 2! Or, uh, King's Field.

At least the math is easier than Final Fantasy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij1zOvaY-j8

Personal note, I love this friggin' game. I still have a big box copy, and lovingly kept every single typo intact from the included manual. :v:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Take a drink every time the compass looks like it says "SEX"

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
It may be primitive by today's standards, but it's still an obvious improvement on the previous one. And hey, I actually have played this one, though I admit I never finished it. At the time I admit I didn't think much of it as my first acquaintance with the series was King's Field 2. Er... well 3 I guess, but we thought it was 2.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Starting King's Field (2) and dying right at the beginning is pure FromSoft in a nutshell

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Big Scary Owl posted:

Starting King's Field (2) and dying right at the beginning is pure FromSoft in a nutshell

Honestly I just like the tradition with the king's field games of at the beginning hiding a treasure chest with a shield in a secret room with a skeleton, an enemy that at the beginning can and will kill you easily

Idk if it is in KF4 or if there is a Shadow Tower equivalent but I know they're there for the ps1 trilogy and I'm glad for it.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Man I have an itch to play KF4 again now.

Just something about these games, they feel weirder than Dark Souls.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 4, 2020

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

FirstAidKite posted:

Honestly I just like the tradition with the king's field games of at the beginning hiding a treasure chest with a shield in a secret room with a skeleton, an enemy that at the beginning can and will kill you easily

Idk if it is in KF4 or if there is a Shadow Tower equivalent but I know they're there for the ps1 trilogy and I'm glad for it.

KF4 has a treasure chest in a secret room with a skeleton as well in an area very near the beginning of the game, also you can just die if you step on a certain part of the floor right at the beginning. Shadow Tower is even more dickish cause you start at a very narrow platform and if you walk back or strafe in either direction you just die. From Software!

Tallgeese posted:

Man I have an itch to play KF4 again now.

Just something about these games, they feel weirder than Dark Souls.

I like the atmosphere of 4 the most of all the KF games but goddamn if it isn't slow

Big Scary Owl fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 4, 2020

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Edvarius posted:

It may be primitive by today's standards, but it's still an obvious improvement on the previous one.

Except for the part where it no longer tells you what you just picked up. I guess it wasn't that helpful when it doesn't tell you anything else about it (and I see this game doesn't either), but it was something.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I appreciate you left the PlayStation's boot sequence in the video. Duck's right, that never gets old. Makes me want to hook up my PSone to a surround sound system and shake the windows with it.

Big Scary Owl posted:

I like the atmosphere of 4 the most of all the KF games but goddamn if it isn't slow

Slow like KF1(JP), or slow like KH2's intro?

KeiraWalker fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 5, 2020

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

KeiraWalker posted:

I appreciate you left the PlayStation's boot sequence in the video. Duck's right, that never gets old. Makes me want to hook up my PSone to a surround sound system and shake the windows with it.

Slow like KF1(JP), or slow like KH2's intro?

Like KF2's intro. KF1 is Doom by comparison.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Big Scary Owl posted:

You can use a Cheat Engine table with PCSX2 to fix that, actually.

Assuming you mean movement or turning speed.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Sum Gai posted:

Like KF2's intro. KF1 is Doom by comparison.

I feel like all these games are doom, technically speaking. :v:

Speaking of doom, here's more doom! Death, dismemberment, and so on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsiszdpeKxI

I feel like I'm getting the hang of this, by which I mean saving frequently.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Dewgy posted:

I feel like all these games are doom, technically speaking. :v:

Speaking of doom, here's more doom! Death, dismemberment, and so on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsiszdpeKxI

I feel like I'm getting the hang of this, by which I mean saving frequently.

There are only so many redos a man can take before saving every 3 minutes :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I don't know if there are tiers of palette swap enemies among the group or if the damage range of enemy attacks are very wide.