Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
You're roughly halfway through the game, btw. Also, for whatever reason, I find this game's soundtrack extremely memorable. Not because it's the most incredible music ever recorded, it's just very distinctive somehow.

I'm not caught up on videos so I don't know if you've figured this out or not, but you can bind spells to the Shortcut slot. I generally stick Earth Heal on there, it reduces some of the game's menu-jumping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

EggsAisle posted:

I'm not caught up on videos so I don't know if you've figured this out or not, but you can bind spells to the Shortcut slot. I generally stick Earth Heal on there, it reduces some of the game's menu-jumping.

Oh, interesting! In the one I haven’t posted yet I bound it to using herbs (heal spam to win, baby), but that can come in handy too.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

EggsAisle posted:

You're roughly halfway through the game, btw. Also, for whatever reason, I find this game's soundtrack extremely memorable. Not because it's the most incredible music ever recorded, it's just very distinctive somehow.

The soundtrack is pretty good. It has a Philip Glass quality to it, and I say that in a good way.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That newest helmet you picked up is definitely a regeneration item. I think you missed an item from an exploded barrel at the 45:26 mark.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Scalding Coffee posted:

That newest helmet you picked up is definitely a regeneration item. I think you missed an item from an exploded barrel at the 45:26 mark.

Explosive barrels can have items in them!? This is upsetting information to have this late in the game. In penance, I'm gonna have to blow myself up.

But first! We meet an old friend. Again, and again, and again...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3CX6rhHtgk

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Dewgy posted:

Explosive barrels can have items in them!? This is upsetting information to have this late in the game. In penance, I'm gonna have to blow myself up.

But first! We meet an old friend. Again, and again, and again...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3CX6rhHtgk

I must, again, praise the excellent title card idea we came up with on this one :v:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
An enemy that respawned behind you after killing it. Just like in the first game. Aw, memories.

Try using your breath magic on those possessed guys to kill that bug thing that leaves their body.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Scalding Coffee posted:

An enemy that respawned behind you after killing it. Just like in the first game. Aw, memories.

Try using your breath magic on those possessed guys to kill that bug thing that leaves their body.

It's a neat idea but I haven't seen many of those around lately. Or uh, any of them. Oh well, there's other stuff to breathe on I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7Kl2c35kT8

The giant bug, however, wasn't impressed.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Dewgy posted:

It's a neat idea but I haven't seen many of those around lately. Or uh, any of them. Oh well, there's other stuff to breathe on I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7Kl2c35kT8

The giant bug, however, wasn't impressed.

The bug can get hosed :v:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I was expecting that boss to drop the ceiling on you, only it was the floor. This game has the most creative murder rooms I have seen in a long time.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Scalding Coffee posted:

I was expecting that boss to drop the ceiling on you, only it was the floor. This game has the most creative murder rooms I have seen in a long time.

It really gives you those "POV of a dude who showed up to the mansion in Tecmo's Deception" vibes, doesn't it?

Settle in for a bit, because this one's a doozy! Some good progress made though, and only a little bit of imminent death. (At all times, but still!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUHXONwwinE

I feel like there's a gangtag in those eyeball/wang mushrooms somehow but hell if I know where to go with it.

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 4, 2020

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Those explosive barrels you shot with an arrow had an item in them, but it looked like a seed or fruit.
Can you open Ancient chests yet?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Scalding Coffee posted:

Those explosive barrels you shot with an arrow had an item in them, but it looked like a seed or fruit.
Can you open Ancient chests yet?

Not as far as I know yet, but we're maybe getting there! Probably. Possibly. Eventually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz_glcWz-k4

For now though, we've got more minecart levels to deal with. Well, close enough to a minecart anyway for my liking.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I bet that item that helps you find stuff is another bridge raising artifact. If it points out secret rooms, then all the better.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Scalding Coffee posted:

I bet that item that helps you find stuff is another bridge raising artifact. If it points out secret rooms, then all the better.

I don't know if we have any more bridges to raise, honestly. It sounds more like it should help us find hidden stuff. It'd be nice if it came, y'know, way earlier and not now. :v:

I feel like we're towards the end of things, so that wouldn't be a surprise.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
After a small delay thanks to a major system update taking way longer than it needed to (it Sur was a big pain in my butt, lemme tell you) we're back with more! Please ignore how I get horribly lost for way too long by not just going straight forward. I assure you, I figure it out... eventually. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgTMYOhDvuQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07CsAbOob1g

We are just about wrapped up it seems (and uh, actually are wrapped up, last one's going up in a day or so, hooray :haw:) and I really do love to see me a callback to the older games. I didn't even start playing King's Field all that seriously until this thread, and already it's basically part of my blood now. Funny how that works with a series like this!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Only thing left is the giant sword.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Scalding Coffee posted:

Only thing left is the giant sword.

Indeed! And also a lot of dying. Like, a lot of dying. :v:

https://youtu.be/7eaAZ6jZ_8g

I kind of brute forced it at the end there, but we won! We did it! I beat every King’s Field! It still hurts, and I’m looking forward to doing this all again some day. :D

Coming soon, Shadow Tower: Abyss. Dipped my toes in to make sure it works right and we are in for some poo poo, people. :getin:

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Dewgy posted:

Coming soon, Shadow Tower: Abyss. Dipped my toes in to make sure it works right and we are in for some poo poo, people. :getin:

I can't wait to see that playthrough, that game is something special!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
A shame we didn't get to see how levels worked on all our attacks. Would a level 3 Moonlight Sword shoot blasts like in Bloodborne?

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
The Moonlight can do its special attack right away; it's a giant moonbeam from the sky that splits into smaller moonbeams, all of which explode. It will also 1-shot you if you're standing too close to it, which is very King's Field.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Now that you guys finished this game I feel like I can finally post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T8nb45F-v8

No spoilers for either game, it's just Dark Souls 2 in low resolution first person with KF4 UI elements. It's uncanny how similar it looks to a KF game

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Koorisch posted:

I can't wait to see that playthrough, that game is something special!

It's.....uhhhh.....special, all right....

Admittedly, I like it better than what we've been doing, but drat this is a hard left

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Professor Duck posted:

It's.....uhhhh.....special, all right....

Admittedly, I like it better than what we've been doing, but drat this is a hard left

Gave the game a shot a few months back. Got stuck on the second level when weapons went from "easily broken" to "made of tissues". Interested in seeing how it goes for you.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The trick is to never be attached to any weapon but :ssh:

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The trick is to never be attached to any weapon but :ssh:

This assumes you have enough weapons to switch between them, rather than all of them being about to disintegrate.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Not sure if we solved the mystery about the Black Knight from KF1, but this site said he and the MC's father were both killed during their fight, through dialog from the Dark Magician. That guy who turned into a skeleton and fought you.
https://www.angelfire.com/planet/kingsfield/characters.html

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You can get a bad ending in KF4 by not finishing off the Uvula boss with the Moonlight Sword. Text over a black screen says you become a replacement for the Darkness.

This is probably for all the KF games, but killing an NPC in KF4 may label you a murderer and merchants won't do business with you.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Sum Gai posted:

This assumes you have enough weapons to switch between them, rather than all of them being about to disintegrate.

Repair the better ones, eat the weaker ones for HP.
Bad equipment isnt equipment: theyre potions.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Scalding Coffee posted:

You can get a bad ending in KF4 by not finishing off the Uvula boss with the Moonlight Sword. Text over a black screen says you become a replacement for the Darkness.

This is probably for all the KF games, but killing an NPC in KF4 may label you a murderer and merchants won't do business with you.

Funny, you'd have thought that would have backfired on us back in KF3, but that candle guy just would. Not. Die. :argh:

The NPCs in this one though don't seem to have that same problem. I'm not taking any chances by swinging at them, but they seem fragile enough on their own so far. :ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6vxpnrGrXs

First impressions: I really like the combat in this, and it's freaky as hell. Psyched!

Chomp chomp chomp, delicious snow jackets.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Some tasty daggers right there I tell you hwat

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Do the respawning enemies add to your stats?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Scalding Coffee posted:

Do the respawning enemies add to your stats?

From what I can tell without any other research that I’m deliberately avoiding, yes. It seems like it’s a Dark Souls 2-esque system where they should hopefully only respawn to a certain degree, and then it’s all over.

I’m pretty sure the guy in the beginning wasn’t giving me bad advice when he said to kill them all. :black101:

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Dewgy posted:

Funny, you'd have thought that would have backfired on us back in KF3, but that candle guy just would. Not. Die. :argh:

The NPCs in this one though don't seem to have that same problem. I'm not taking any chances by swinging at them, but they seem fragile enough on their own so far. :ohdear:

The NPCs in the PS1 games have ludicrous amounts of HP, presumably to stop you from accidentally killing them. I don't know about all merchants but the dwarf smith absolutely won't do business with you if you kill one anyway. The NPCs in Ancient City have much lower health and die in only a couple hits. Weirdly, the first shopkeeper in the village ruins is actually immortal, and will come back from the dead without explanation if you decide to use him for target practice.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Sum Gai posted:

The NPCs in the PS1 games have ludicrous amounts of HP, presumably to stop you from accidentally killing them. I don't know about all merchants but the dwarf smith absolutely won't do business with you if you kill one anyway. The NPCs in Ancient City have much lower health and die in only a couple hits. Weirdly, the first shopkeeper in the village ruins is actually immortal, and will come back from the dead without explanation if you decide to use him for target practice.

Well, dude's name is David Bunch--there's clearly more of him just hanging around :v:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Professor Duck posted:

Well, dude's name is David Bunch--there's clearly more of him just hanging around :v:

Ah, the David Bunch! I loved that show.

Here’s the story, of a guy named David
Who was running the only store in town
Then some chosen jerk came in and killed him
But it was just his clone

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

So here's a thing I found (off a wiki, so veracity might be questionable):

en.swordofmoonlight.org posted:

Before the release of the game as King's Field: The Ancient City in North America, there were a number of fans of the series using what is now called a Yahoo.com "Group". Discussing possible plotlines, characterizations, and aspects of gameplay in the upcoming release, they caught the attention of an ASCII Entertainment employee (left unnamed for reasons of privacy). The group, known on the site as The Verdite Inn, collaborated on a community driven storyline based in the world of the first two North American releases. Out of respect for the group's opinions, imaginations, and support for the games, the names or usernames of the contributing members were used as the names of certain NPCs.

... One of the first shopkeeper NPCs in the game, "David Bunch" is named after the only one of the Yahoo group admins to be made aware of the naming before the game's release. He kept the plans to honor the club secret until the day of the release, when a member found his character in-game and asked about it on the forum. His dialogue reflects some of his quotes from the website.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
This game's starting to remind me of EDF. It's got a lotta bugs. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxSfx4g2wfs

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It is probably ok to kill those NPCs without worrying about angering merchants. Maybe try killing one in among a group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Scalding Coffee posted:

It is probably ok to kill those NPCs without worrying about angering merchants. Maybe try killing one in among a group.

Wow, rude. What did those weird wrinkly guys ever do to you? :mad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFSgLCJQgTQ

Despite the maps being more detailed than the last one, drat is it still easy to get really lost in this game. The combat is really growing on me though, it's like King's Field with a dash of Bushido Blade almost with how fast it is, and how positioning leads to specific damage. Very satsifying. :getin: