Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Wow, while the first game was pretty basic, I'm seeing so many things in this game that are clearly the beginning point for so much of Dark Souls. Slower combat where you need to worry about swing windup/recovery, obfuscated/hidden game mechanics, and of course early-game access to a graveyard full of rear end in a top hat skeletons who will kick your rear end unless you come back when you're a higher level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

big progress ep :toot: couldn't remember where that second dragon stone was, glad you finally found it. its doors now working makes the fountain a good central location to leave a warp key

i love the ghosts in this game, the way they usually get hung up and just float there barking at you

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I like how problem solving involves throwing yourself off elevations.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Scalding Coffee posted:

I like how problem solving involves throwing yourself off elevations.

As the old saying goes, "try jumping".

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Crazy Achmed posted:

As the old saying goes, "try jumping".

Reminds me of when I was little playing SMB 2. There were, like, 2 places where pits that would kill you led to another area, so I got into the habit of doing that constantly. It wasn't the best strategy :v:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp34ilD_XTA

As the title implies, I decided to take drastic action on the Rhombus Key problem, and I do not regret it.

I also think it’s really neat how you can sell stuff that is obviously important. Curious if there’s any way of recovering from that or if it’s a run killer, but it’s a little late now to start experimenting. :v:

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Dewgy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp34ilD_XTA

As the title implies, I decided to take drastic action on the Rhombus Key problem, and I do not regret it.

I also think it’s really neat how you can sell stuff that is obviously important. Curious if there’s any way of recovering from that or if it’s a run killer, but it’s a little late now to start experimenting. :v:

The nuclear option is always the best option :v:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I feel like half of my playtime was spent wandering around the central area with the 4 villages trying to remember how to get to specific npcs

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

I know I've said it before, but this game makes King's Field 1 look like a glorified tech demo (which it probably was, to be quite honest). I really can't think of any other sequel that's so much of an improvement over its predecessor, at least outside of cases where the sequel was made for a completely new console.

By the way, it's probably too late for that now, but I suspect the hammer would've worked better against the Ice Golems.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

lets hang out posted:

I feel like half of my playtime was spent wandering around the central area with the 4 villages trying to remember how to get to specific npcs

That's more or less how things have gone for us, it seems. Any time we have to leave an area, it becomes the biggest pain in the rear end to try and find our way again.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

....and since Dewgy decided to take a long walk off a short mod pier, I guess I have posting duties for the time being! :v:

Here's the next post, where we start the final gauntlet!...and then do it again....and again...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CFjEZlQymU

Dugite
Aug 12, 2007
Yeah you're basically at the end of the game, it's just grind the four bosses until you can beat Necron and continue from there. There are some things you've missed that you could grab while you're levelling up like going to the Crystal Shop in Central Village (it's right next to Sandler's house) or exploring the cave of fire by killing those heads that shoot fire. They don't "react" to you hitting them but they do die eventually (4-5 hits).

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
We must be missing the equipment that regenerates MP or this champion is hiding it.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Scalding Coffee posted:

We must be missing the equipment that regenerates MP or this champion is hiding it.

Yeah--we don't actually get around to that....

We end up cheesing Necron like nobody's business :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb6ufQT2USU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
After ten thousand years, I'm free from cat jail! OK maybe it was a week, but it's 2020, so it may as well have been 10,000 years. :v:

And in that same spirit of time having no meaning, I bring to you... the last one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKaYweqIhGY

Ending talk: I feel extremely cheated out of using the Moonlight Sword. Kind of wish I'd managed to get it for reals in the game proper, though I'm sure there's a way to do it. Good times otherwise though, and I'm glad I had that bow for once!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

alexander you can't beat the game without getting the dark slayer (that other sword), you'll cause a time paradox! or not. i was wondering how necessary it is, because it's a little obscure, and it turns out: not at all!

to get it you would've needed to find the elf key, which was in the frequently mentioned elf cave, reached by dropping down one of the holes in the poison cave in the big mine. you swap the elf key with the "sealed" black crystal in the same place you found seath's sword and give it to your friend Leon Shore, who you rescued and then I believe never visited at his house (the one with the ghost rocking chair). he makes the dark slayer for you, a sword blessed by seath specifically for killing the dark dragon, not that you needed it. owning the dark slayer also opens those "not accepted" doors, which just have pieces of seath's armor set behind them.

and you're right, there is a way to get the moonlight sword. it works as it should, with it's usual sword magic and everything. it's a little weaker than the dark slayer.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

lets hang out posted:

and you're right, there is a way to get the moonlight sword. it works as it should, with it's usual sword magic and everything. it's a little weaker than the dark slayer.

:catstare:

I don’t even know what they just did to pull that off.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Dewgy posted:

:catstare:

I don’t even know what they just did to pull that off.

These boots are made for walkin and that's just what they'll do.

Any plans to go back and show off any of the stuff that was missed?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Hooray for finishing off this one. You can see that it's not a huge jump from the first game, but it really is starting to establish a feel of the world better by having more interaction with other characters.

It's sort of weird that despite the game being really big, it doesn't quite feel that way due to the way the regions are interconnected. Because they are using three dimensions better and the island is laid out more realistically, they feel closer to each other than in the first one, with its arbitrary and mostly flat dungeons.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

FirstAidKite posted:

These boots are made for walkin and that's just what they'll do.

Any plans to go back and show off any of the stuff that was missed?

I might go back in on my own and get some bits and pieces for a highlight reel kind of thing, but at this point our current plan is to keep soldiering on through the series. We’re gonna get started on KF2 next, which I’ve never played until now and am kind of excited about. :getin:

Depending on time and budget (I definitely need a new computer if we’re gonna start doing PS2 stuff lol) we might make a detour into Shadow Tower after this too.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

What's cute about the Dark Slayer is that its name is sort of misleading.

It's not that it's a slayer of darkness, it is in fact a slayer that is of darkness.

This is made pretty clear by its stats!

You actually did have an opportunity to get an MP restoring weapon that was right in front of you, at least if you got lucky. It, the Spider, is a rare drop from Earth Elementals that is an absolute nightmare to get.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 20, 2020

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I guess we missed another dragon fight. Did they do anything about those super expensive keys from the key guy or did they ignore them?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Never did get the elf key or gold key, I spent all my money on rhombi. :v:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I unfortunately haven't gotten around to watching a lot of video LPs lately but I've been casually following this thread and noticed you beat KF II. I assume you're not planning on playing the King's Field Additional PSP dungeon crawler games which were only released in Japanese, I actually beat the first one not long ago but what I thought of posting about it would be kind of spoilery for that game so I figured I'd ask first.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Kanfy posted:

I unfortunately haven't gotten around to watching a lot of video LPs lately but I've been casually following this thread and noticed you beat KF II. I assume you're not planning on playing the King's Field Additional PSP dungeon crawler games which were only released in Japanese, I actually beat the first one not long ago but what I thought of posting about it would be kind of spoilery for that game so I figured I'd ask first.

Most likely no. Of course, that may change based on how we do with the other KF games, and also timing (the PS2 KF game we might have to do as a marathon session, but Dewgy and I need to talk about it)

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

For what it's worth it's probably not worth doing a full LP for even if you know Japanese, it's a fairly straightforward dungeon crawler and very much a spin-off that takes place in a different time and place than the rest of the series. Heck, I could only find one video playthrough of it anywhere even in Japanese and that one's 37 parts long. I don't think there's a single one for the sequel.

But I'd post some stuff about the final boss of that game so obviously I'll err on the side of caution if there's even a small chance you're going to cover it.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Kanfy posted:

For what it's worth it's probably not worth doing a full LP for even if you know Japanese, it's a fairly straightforward dungeon crawler and very much a spin-off that takes place in a different time and place than the rest of the series. Heck, I could only find one video playthrough of it anywhere even in Japanese and that one's 37 parts long. I don't think there's a single one for the sequel.

But I'd post some stuff about the final boss of that game so obviously I'll err on the side of caution if there's even a small chance you're going to cover it.

I understand only very, very basic Japanese, so I think we're safe on that. I saw your screenshots in Games and it looked real neato, so post away!

Speaking of post away, the journey begins for King's Field 2, and also continues! We usually have a bit of a buffer of when we record and upload, but I'm saying screw it to that so we can be a bit more responsive to the thread going forward. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB9f090RWvo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5SDGBrVMRk

I've also decided that I'm gonna grind up a bit on KF1 and, uh, KF1 to go back into them a bit on my own so we can get some more highlights. I forget sometimes that, as old JRPGs, there's always room for a bit of grind to help the journey along. :black101:

If anyone has any callouts for what to dig in to for that, I'm all ears.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Dewgy posted:

I understand only very, very basic Japanese, so I think we're safe on that. I saw your screenshots in Games and it looked real neato, so post away!

Sure, it was mostly the fact that the final boss of Additional I is also, in fact, Gyura (or rather a dark elf transformed by Gyura's will so it wasn't actually his real body, or something like that, it was a bit unclear) and even with the fact that the PSP has the screen resolution the size of a match box, it probably still made for the most detailed rendition of the vague dragon-shaped blob you fought at the end of the PS1 game.

The fact that it wasn't his real body and all tattered and falling apart is presumably why even some random mercenary scrub was able to beat him in 1v1 combat. The combat theme I think was a much faster remix of the one from KF too, they reused and remixed a bunch of old King's Field music in the game in general.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 25, 2020

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Dewgy posted:

Speaking of post away, the journey begins for King's Field 2, and also continues! We usually have a bit of a buffer of when we record and upload, but I'm saying screw it to that so we can be a bit more responsive to the thread going forward. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB9f090RWvo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5SDGBrVMRk

I've also decided that I'm gonna grind up a bit on KF1 and, uh, KF1 to go back into them a bit on my own so we can get some more highlights. I forget sometimes that, as old JRPGs, there's always room for a bit of grind to help the journey along. :black101:

If anyone has any callouts for what to dig in to for that, I'm all ears.

There are certainly things we missed in the US KF1, but there wasn't a lot we missed in JP KF1, except the sword magic, really.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Kanfy posted:

Sure, it was mostly the fact that the final boss of Additional I is also, in fact, Gyura (or rather a dark elf transformed by Gyura's will so it wasn't actually his real body, or something like that, it was a bit unclear) and even with the fact that the PSP has the screen resolution the size of a match box, it probably still made for the most detailed rendition of the vague dragon-shaped blob you fought at the end of the PS1 game.

The fact that it wasn't his real body and all tattered and falling apart is presumably why even some random mercenary scrub was able to beat him in 1v1 combat. The combat theme I think was a much faster remix of the one from KF too, over all they reused and remixed a bunch of old King's Field music in the game.

:eyepop:

drat, that's some fine artwork.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Dewgy posted:

:eyepop:

drat, that's some fine artwork.

Yeah the visuals were probably the strongest part of that game, I ever see one of the local manticores in a dream, it's probably not going to be a good one.

Anyway I don't wanna be too much of a distraction from the main LP, I wrote a post about how the Additional games roughly play in the aforementioned Games thread when I was early on into the first one if someone's curious about that.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

They handed out demo disks for this game at Tokyo Game Show 1996.

It's a 30 minute prequel starring that Silviera guy all the NPCs keep bringing up, on a unique map in the same style as the starter areas with some enemies from later in the final game. Not required playing or anything, but there is a translation patch for it. https://www.romhacking.net/translations/1994/ And it's capped at 30 fps instead of 15 like the final game. 😭

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I had a good feeling about this game when you got a level after a few kills. Still no description on items on pickup.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Kanfy posted:

it probably still made for the most detailed rendition of the vague dragon-shaped blob you fought at the end of the PS1 game.

I think you'll find that the most detailed rendition of Guyra is this :v:

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

FirstAidKite posted:

gently caress :eyepop:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

FirstAidKite posted:

:stare:

So, fun fact: This is the only boss in Dark Souls that I’ve never killed. Not like, intentionally, but when I first played the Artorias of the Abyss DLC I was on NG+7 or something absurd like that, and Artorias and cheesing Manus with a bow from a distance were more than enough for me at that point. Haven’t gotten that far in Remastered enough to go for it either.

Basically, I am...not sure how to handle this knowledge at this point. :psyduck:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Dewgy posted:

:stare:

So, fun fact: This is the only boss in Dark Souls that I’ve never killed. Not like, intentionally, but when I first played the Artorias of the Abyss DLC I was on NG+7 or something absurd like that, and Artorias and cheesing Manus with a bow from a distance were more than enough for me at that point. Haven’t gotten that far in Remastered enough to go for it either.

Basically, I am...not sure how to handle this knowledge at this point. :psyduck:

Everything old is new again. Lots of King's Field and Shadow Tower elements were recycled into the Souls series. From likes to revisit and reiterate on their old stuff, whether it is the story of the cyclops black dragon and the feathered/scaleless white dragon, a giant tree with a face and hands that is the demonic transformation of an individual who has turned the entire area into some demon ruins, a spider that is partially a woman from the torso up, a made-up chosen one tale that exists solely to get someone, anyone, to become powerful enough to do something important, and so on and so forth.

To be honest, I'm mostly disappointed that Kalameet didn't exist in a random tron world filled with cyborg demons and that Kalameet didn't have a resident evil style lab like he did in King's Field 2 JP where it revealed that KF1 was all just Guyra taking advantage of the situation in the royal tomb to try and get some better footing in his personal feud with Seath.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Also an obsession with kings and royalty. But they have completely abandoned anachronisms like in KF.

Fromsoft make another mecha game come on

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Yeah, someone at From clearly had a strong belief in this type of game, and stuck to their guns long enough for it to get popular with the Souls series.

I for one would like to see Armored Souls:
-Nerf flight ability so boosters are good for horizontal but not so much vertical, so you can do a soulslike world/progression and not have to worry about players just flying over your carefully designed progression barriers/ambushes etc.
-Probably slow movement back down to the speed of the PS2-era games
-Replace bonfires with repair/upgrade stations, could be automated ones that survived whatever global catastrophe wrecked the world this time
-Borrow the melee combat system from Souls
-Rebalance guns somehow. Maybe ammo is pretty limited but damage is high, so you want to use them sparingly to keep some ammo in reserve for when you have to deal with particularly nasty enemies. poo poo, VTOLS dropping off enemy ACs unexpectedly during missions is already a thing and that's practically the invasion mechanic done for you right there.

[edit]or just do something wacky and fun like metal wolf chaos, we know you are great at doing depressing decaying/corrupted/apocalyptic worlds but poo poo's bleak enough in the real world already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
NPR Voice: And now join us for a close look at Trump Fountains, the latest in a lavish line of :piss:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73pjC3ckfiU

I am so unbelievably pleased to have a working automap now you guys. omagaw