Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Dewgy posted:

And we're back from the dead! Bringing you King's Field: The Ancient City, where for once we're not playing as the immediate descendent or friend of the last game's protagonist. (Or maybe we are, I wholly expect someone with more knowledge of series lore to correct me on that. :v:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-t051FK0mE

A quick heads up, the audio mix is a little screwed because once again I made major changes to the recording setup, and also I'm an idiot! Will be fixed next week, and maybe I'll do something about those weird texture glitches too. First impressions are very positive so far, for me anyway, this is really starting to fit the proto-Dark Souls mold in environment detail and polish.

Absolutely no idea where we're going, which also fits right in with the theme. :haw:

We'll be doing this game weekly because my schedule is way more packed right now than I expected and might be doing some livestreams of Armored Core too, so I'll link to that when we manage to work out the kinks and when I'm not too tired to handle it.

Double post but gently caress it I'll add to this post as I watch the video and find stuff to comment on (which may be rendered null and void later on in the video but let's go anyway):

The weird lights thing in the sky is totally an emulator glitch. You can press F9 to change to software rendering and all of the visual glitches go away, but the internal resolution is going to be locked to the PS2's native resolution

Durability is a thing in this too but I've never seen anything break in this game

edit: gently caress i accidentally page sniped sorry

Big Scary Owl fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Big Scary Owl posted:

The weird lights thing in the sky is totally an emulator glitch. You can press F9 to change to software rendering and all of the visual glitches go away, but the internal resolution is going to be locked to the PS2's native resolution

B-B-But my lore implications!!! :qq:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I thought the faceless characters were a defining trait of the series.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Big Scary Owl posted:

Durability is a thing in this too but I've never seen anything break in this game

:froggonk: Expect a lot of broken poo poo, then. This is us we're talking about here.

BrokenLink
Apr 27, 2013
As far as I know it doesn't go below 50%, but it is directly correlated with the effectiveness of the equipment, if its at 50 it has half the stats.
Also a funny easter egg of sorts, every weapon in this game can level up 3 times, this includes your fists.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

BrokenLink posted:

As far as I know it doesn't go below 50%, but it is directly correlated with the effectiveness of the equipment, if its at 50 it has half the stats.
Also a funny easter egg of sorts, every weapon in this game can level up 3 times, this includes your fists.

As someone who knows the police will never help me, I'm intrigued!

Anyway, we're finally back into it! I think this game might be cursed, or maybe I might be cursed. On the first take, only 1/4 of the screen recorded, and on the second take I literally passed out randomly halfway into it. Note to self: Drink more water. :v:

If you notice a weird transition in the middle, well, it's because I cut out the part where there was a big DONK and a lot of confusion. But, the benefit is, longer episode now that it's finally done! Yay!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kcKxnZaI04

Also, feedback on the audio for this one is greatly appreciated, be it good bad or neutral, because this is a multi-track mixdown which is much fancier than what we've been doing in the past. Enjoy!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It sounds good.

You can probably level up physical attacks by hitting people forever.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Scalding Coffee posted:

It sounds good.

You can probably level up physical attacks by hitting people forever.

Yeah that’s been a valid strategy since the first one I think. Series trademark I guess!

e: Oh you mean unkillable people, haha. I always chicken out after one or two hits apart from that jerk with the candle, Dark Souls makes me paranoid. :ohdear:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Something special happens if you level fists to 3.

That is all.

You can throw fist waves.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Dewgy posted:

Yeah that’s been a valid strategy since the first one I think. Series trademark I guess!

e: Oh you mean unkillable people, haha. I always chicken out after one or two hits apart from that jerk with the candle, Dark Souls makes me paranoid. :ohdear:

Eh....if they die, I think they might be better off :v:

BrokenLink
Apr 27, 2013
If you can stand the tedium of grinding it out (it takes like 480ish hits to level up to 3), fists are actually an okay weapon for a while.
It kinda feeds into a problem I have with the game, you get weapons at a decently rapid clip, so you'll probably swap most of them out before getting to level 3.
Some weapons really only shine at higher levels, but you wouldn't know that unless you grind them all or look it up.

BrokenLink fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 6, 2020

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

There is a Cheat Engine table for running this game on PCSX2 that lets you set a bunch of stuff like weapon levels. I think it's on GameFAQs somewhere.

It even lets you move faster, but that just breaks the combat in your favor sadly.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You must learn the art of Sonic Boom and use it on minor enemies. Become a Dragon Ball character.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Tallgeese posted:

There is a Cheat Engine table for running this game on PCSX2 that lets you set a bunch of stuff like weapon levels. I think it's on GameFAQs somewhere.

It even lets you move faster, but that just breaks the combat in your favor sadly.

Cheating!? You scoundrel! I prefer between episode high speed grinding. :haw:

That’s pretty neat though, also a little surprising it just doesn’t break the game outright.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Dewgy posted:

Anyway, we're finally back into it! I think this game might be cursed, or maybe I might be cursed.

Well you are carrying a cursed idol in the game OP hth :)
But with regards to the video itself, the thing that really sets the tone in the game (at least for me) for how hosed this place is isn't the foreboding skies, or the monsters running about, or the decrepit and abandoned buildings, it's that emaciated dog next to that girl :smith:

Audio's great now too!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Big Scary Owl posted:

Well you are carrying a cursed idol in the game OP hth :)
But with regards to the video itself, the thing that really sets the tone in the game (at least for me) for how hosed this place is isn't the foreboding skies, or the monsters running about, or the decrepit and abandoned buildings, it's that emaciated dog next to that girl :smith:

Audio's great now too!

Yeah that dog has seen better days, and I'm pretty sure there's more than one. Poor dugs. :smith:

At least we rescue this one, kinda!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFyh2xb2nt4

Also, special announcement, we're finally doing something live!

Tomorrow (Monday the 12th) at 8:30 PM EST, join us on our Twitch channel that we haven't used in basically forever for the first go at Armored Core! I haven't played this game in probably 20 years and I have no idea what I'm doing (what else is new :razz:) so it should be a good time! It'll also be on the YT channel at some point, but you can't heckle us as easily there.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
All the KF games are blending together. We had people with a symbol get controlled and spiders controlling people. Was there another way people got possessed in the earlier games?

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Big Scary Owl posted:

Audio's great now too!

:bubblewoop: we figured poo poo out!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Scalding Coffee posted:

All the KF games are blending together. We had people with a symbol get controlled and spiders controlling people. Was there another way people got possessed in the earlier games?

I think they were just kind of implied to be controlled through the power of sheer evil.

Speaking of evil, KFIV is thoroughly tired of my BS and definitely wants me to know it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLzdBWq0y84

As you may guess from the title, the start of this one didn't go very well for me. :v:

I admit I really like that knife though, and it's pretty awesome that we're getting more varied weapons now. And everything can smash barrels too. :black101:

Also, same as last week, we're going live with more Armored Core tonight at 8:30 EST on Twitch, and last week's stream is up on Youtube if you want to check it out! It also didn't go so well. Armored Core can be a cruel, cruel game.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You probably passed ten hidden objects in walls at this point.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Scalding Coffee posted:

You probably passed ten hidden objects in walls at this point.

Yeah I'm definitely not looking for them as hard in this game, I think I'm thrown off by the significantly less repetitive geometry and textures. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbdrHO7mxO8

I really don't like those turdhogs, y'all.

Also, no live Armored Core this week, but I do have the one from last time up if you want to see how badly I got my rear end kicked. :haw:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You are not worthy to sit on the porcelain throne.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Scalding Coffee posted:

You are not worthy to sit on the porcelain throne.

Look man, it's an election week, I'll crap wherever I drat well please. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-Iv27GFFkc

But before that, a shitload of skeletons!

We're also back to streaming on Twitch tonight at 8:30 EST if anyone wants to see Armored Core kick my rear end again. :buddy:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Dewgy posted:

Look man, it's an election week, I'll crap wherever I drat well please. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-Iv27GFFkc

But before that, a shitload of skeletons!

We're also back to streaming on Twitch tonight at 8:30 EST if anyone wants to see Armored Core kick my rear end again. :buddy:
:hmmyes:
I do like seeing people dunked on in Armored Core

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

AtomikKrab posted:

:hmmyes:
I do like seeing people dunked on in Armored Core

We've been getting dunked on since we started this drat thing :v:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Professor Duck posted:

We've been getting dunked on since we started this drat thing :v:

I was unable to watch

My spouse kidnapped me.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Not sure how leveling magic makes you better in this game, but you might be able to train magic by dunking yourself in poison and using purify.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

AtomikKrab posted:

I was unable to watch

My spouse kidnapped me.

No worries, the whole thing will be up on YouTube once I’ve had a chance to get over my election day hangover. :barf:

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Dewgy posted:

No worries, the whole thing will be up on YouTube once I’ve had a chance to get over my election day hangover. :barf:

PENALTY: response does not use the word "dunking"

5 yards, -20000 credits, replay the last 3 missions

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

You did what in your cup?
Glad to find this, checked the archive after watching a vid on this game and got nothing.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Hrvstmn31 posted:

Glad to find this, checked the archive after watching a vid on this game and got nothing.

Glad you found us! Hope you enjoy our foray into all of the PS1/2 Fromsoft games (since I guess that's what we're doing now)

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
When will it end, when will it end!?!???

Oh, the election? No, I meant this game. :haw: Actually I'm enjoying the hell out of this one, but it definitely is a little painful. :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwe-AHPgAJo

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Only took them four games to create enemies who fights the same way you do instead of just spinning in circles or tanking hits.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
So I'm that guy who knows this game inside and out and loves it to pieces, even with its painfully slow movement and questionable gameplay decisions. You're actually doing pretty well, a lot better than I did my first time through. I'm a few videos behind but look forward to catching up this week! I'll try not to spoil anything, but I can't resist mentioning a few things you wondered about: the beetle-things that scuttle away after you kill zombies can be killed, though you have to be quick. IIRC they drop a bunch of gold and XP. Also, the skeleton jaws you've been picking up do have a particular use late in the game.

Good luck!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Those alien-looking enemies give you several times more XP than that giant.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

EggsAisle posted:

So I'm that guy who knows this game inside and out and loves it to pieces, even with its painfully slow movement and questionable gameplay decisions. You're actually doing pretty well, a lot better than I did my first time through. I'm a few videos behind but look forward to catching up this week! I'll try not to spoil anything, but I can't resist mentioning a few things you wondered about : the beetle-things that scuttle away after you kill zombies can be killed, though you have to be quick. IIRC they drop a bunch of gold and XP. Also, the skeleton jaws you've been picking up do have a particular use late in the game.

Good luck!

Thanks for watching! Makes me feel good knowing that the feeling of stumbling around aimlessly is more or less just part of the game, more or less. :v:

I kind of figured the jaws and claws were worth holding on to, but they don't seem particularly rare. Time to start hoarding though!

Scalding Coffee posted:

Those alien-looking enemies give you several times more XP than that giant.

Good to know, those guys are jerks. I'll be sure to kill more of them. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44b1MoqJCJk

Sorry for the lack of livestream this week, my back's been acting up, and yesterday kinda sucked. (And unlike some other internet people, I'm not bothering to beg for donations. :haw:) Hopefully back to normal for next time though!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Whatever you equipped, you are finally regenerating health. I guess that means you are near the end.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Scalding Coffee posted:

Whatever you equipped, you are finally regenerating health. I guess that means you are near the end.

:toot: I didn't even notice we were regen-ing!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Scalding Coffee posted:

I think that's just my earth heal topping me off after a cast, but it's still a good thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcPnnDmd3Sc

I just gotta say I really don't like how poorly this big dwarf guy is treating that obvious holy relic. A cross is not an axe, big man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Dewgy posted:

I think that's just my earth heal topping me off after a cast, but it's still a good thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcPnnDmd3Sc

I just gotta say I really don't like how poorly this big dwarf guy is treating that obvious holy relic. A cross is not an axe, big man!

I think Earth Heal just gives a passive regen effect once you've leveled it up.