Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

All of the King's Field story is in the background materials released later. It doesn't make sense between the games without them, because it is full of retcons to force the games to make sense.

If I remember correctly, we fought the King's son because he was being possessed by the black dragon demigod of light, Guyra, who was trying to resurrect himself.

I forget if King's Field II goes into this, but as for why the tree wants the Moonlight Sword:

The Moonlight Sword is Guyra's sword, and a necessary item for his revival.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

They were part of the Dark SIde Box trilogy collection. I am uncertain if they were translated. I would check the Sword of Moonlight forum.

That said, yeah, knowing the background spoils a fair bit... then again, so does playing Dark Souls.

Oh, by the way, correction: Guyra wasn't "quite" trying to revive. He wanted someone to possess so he could intercede more directly in the living world. The rest is basically right.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 30, 2020

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Man I have an itch to play KF4 again now.

Just something about these games, they feel weirder than Dark Souls.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 4, 2020

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Big Scary Owl posted:

I like the atmosphere of 4 the most of all the KF games but goddamn if it isn't slow

You can use a Cheat Engine table with PCSX2 to fix that, actually.

Assuming you mean movement or turning speed.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Don't forget that you can use the Truth Glass on even talking NPCs to find a bit of info about them.

You can also use it on nothing in an area to find out where you are. I think there's a bit of lore you can only find out if you do this in a certain area.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

What's cute about the Dark Slayer is that its name is sort of misleading.

It's not that it's a slayer of darkness, it is in fact a slayer that is of darkness.

This is made pretty clear by its stats!

You actually did have an opportunity to get an MP restoring weapon that was right in front of you, at least if you got lucky. It, the Spider, is a rare drop from Earth Elementals that is an absolute nightmare to get.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 20, 2020

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Something special happens if you level fists to 3.

That is all.

You can throw fist waves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

There is a Cheat Engine table for running this game on PCSX2 that lets you set a bunch of stuff like weapon levels. I think it's on GameFAQs somewhere.

It even lets you move faster, but that just breaks the combat in your favor sadly.