Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
By this point I really have almost no idea what the protagonist even wants to accomplish in that old tomb (I'm guessing it probably has something to do with that Dragon of the Forest, for lack of other options). Does the manual offer more info, or was FromSoft already experimenting with what would become Dark Souls' approach to storytelling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Well, that was certainly interesting to see. But I kind of get the feeling that you missed not only some secrets, but also a part of the story somehow... Why are you fighting a tree at the end who is apparently also the king's child? Why does the tree try to open some sort of dark portal? What about that Black Knight the soldier mentioned, or is the tree the Black Knight? And I think according to the rude man who took your first Truth Mirror, a dark magician was also supposed to be involved at some point. And for a gameplay question: Is there an actual strategy to that boss or are you just supposed to damage-race it?

Carpator Diei fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Mar 30, 2020

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
You should use the map more often, I believe it shows some secret passages that you haven't found yet.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Dewgy posted:

We definitely kept this in mind this time around. Still gotta find my way back to the termite lair eventually, but at least we met some pissed off fish and floating uh... well. You'll see. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwtU5kBs8rM

Considering that you can apparently get Verdites as random drops from some enemies, and that one of the vendors was selling them for like 17.000 a piece, you might just want to sell them and buy all the good equipment. Their magic-raising effect in the first game seemed pretty negligible, after all.

Also, I have to say: Pits that you can only escape from via a teleport that costs MP to use is already pretty horrible considering your limited means of MP regeneration; but filling one of those pits with MP-draining enemies is just cruel.

Carpator Diei fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 21, 2020

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Scalding Coffee posted:

Finally got health regeneration. You might be halfway through the game.

I'm not sure about that, there's still quite a few areas left (the Big Mine, the castle, some corridors they haven't even gone down yet, plus everything that might lie beyond those areas). This game seems huge, and I don't think that's just because it's so easy to get lost. It's a pretty amazing step up in world design compared to the first game.

Also kinda interesting to see the origins of item lore, still with an in-universe justification.

Carpator Diei fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Apr 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

I know I've said it before, but this game makes King's Field 1 look like a glorified tech demo (which it probably was, to be quite honest). I really can't think of any other sequel that's so much of an improvement over its predecessor, at least outside of cases where the sequel was made for a completely new console.

By the way, it's probably too late for that now, but I suspect the hammer would've worked better against the Ice Golems.