Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Hooray for finishing off this one. You can see that it's not a huge jump from the first game, but it really is starting to establish a feel of the world better by having more interaction with other characters.

It's sort of weird that despite the game being really big, it doesn't quite feel that way due to the way the regions are interconnected. Because they are using three dimensions better and the island is laid out more realistically, they feel closer to each other than in the first one, with its arbitrary and mostly flat dungeons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

As F. Scott Fitzgerald said, "the foolish ask questions the wise cannot answer".

So far this feels less of a jump from the previous game, with maybe the exception that the puzzles that gate certain areas are a little more obvious.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

This definitely seems to have concentrated the action into certain places, which I guess is a sign of the way dungeon crawlers trended generally.

I also couldn't get the idea of Dragonewt out of my head.

"I mostly break you at night... mostly."

Kangra
May 7, 2012

EggsAisle posted:

You're roughly halfway through the game, btw. Also, for whatever reason, I find this game's soundtrack extremely memorable. Not because it's the most incredible music ever recorded, it's just very distinctive somehow.

The soundtrack is pretty good. It has a Philip Glass quality to it, and I say that in a good way.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Dewgy posted:

Leave my precious fishbone sword alone. :mad:

Look, it's only good for fighting the youth at this point.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Not to go around quoting Nazis, but I kept thinking "That's when I reach for my revolver"* during the last section. It seemed a little disappointing that magic really didn't seem viable, but the ability to just shoot really made up for it.

Also really glad you tried out that weapon, just because it looked like it was amazing.

*Yeah, I know it's a misquote, the original is of course "Wenn ich Schattenturm höre, entsichere ich meine AR-15!"

Kangra
May 7, 2012

This is a much less... chill game than the others in the series. You blast off whenever you move, and the music can get almost aggressive at times.

I know it's just a variation on the main theme, but the music in the 'flooded' area sounds like a twisted Dance of the Hours, and of course all I hear is Allan Sherman as a psycho: "Hello muddah... hello faddah too!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Thanks for doing the LP! It was a lot of fun watching the progression of the games. I think KF2 was the most fun to see, although it was clear how much you were enjoying Shadow Tower Abyss and that seemed pretty good.