Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Looks like they took the system limitations and ran with it to create the bleakness - low draw distance makes for dark, foggy environments, few actors on screen at one time also works if you want things to seem lonely and foreboding. [edit]maybe not so similar to ultima underworld, the beginning felt like it but it's quickly turned much more actiony and the level design seems way less vertical. I wonder if that's also an engine limitation or just wasted opportunity that the level design is so flat?
I heard they used a souped-up version of this engine to make armored core - it definitely looks similar...

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Mar 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

BrokenLink posted:

In this game there are prerequisites for sword magic, you need to have the title of sword master, that is have 60+ magic and physical stats and you may need to "remember it" as well on top of the awkward execution of pressing the magic button mid swing. spoilers just in case you wanted to figure it out yourself.

Oh poo poo, so this is where that wack-rear end laserblade projectile combo move in armored core comes from.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I'm actually really surprised that the golems don't severely damage or one-hit-kill you outright if they fall on you.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Could you have used the pillar as cover during the boss fight? Or is the draw distance too short to see your target from that far away?

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Wow, while the first game was pretty basic, I'm seeing so many things in this game that are clearly the beginning point for so much of Dark Souls. Slower combat where you need to worry about swing windup/recovery, obfuscated/hidden game mechanics, and of course early-game access to a graveyard full of rear end in a top hat skeletons who will kick your rear end unless you come back when you're a higher level.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Scalding Coffee posted:

I like how problem solving involves throwing yourself off elevations.

As the old saying goes, "try jumping".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Yeah, someone at From clearly had a strong belief in this type of game, and stuck to their guns long enough for it to get popular with the Souls series.

I for one would like to see Armored Souls:
-Nerf flight ability so boosters are good for horizontal but not so much vertical, so you can do a soulslike world/progression and not have to worry about players just flying over your carefully designed progression barriers/ambushes etc.
-Probably slow movement back down to the speed of the PS2-era games
-Replace bonfires with repair/upgrade stations, could be automated ones that survived whatever global catastrophe wrecked the world this time
-Borrow the melee combat system from Souls
-Rebalance guns somehow. Maybe ammo is pretty limited but damage is high, so you want to use them sparingly to keep some ammo in reserve for when you have to deal with particularly nasty enemies. poo poo, VTOLS dropping off enemy ACs unexpectedly during missions is already a thing and that's practically the invasion mechanic done for you right there.

[edit]or just do something wacky and fun like metal wolf chaos, we know you are great at doing depressing decaying/corrupted/apocalyptic worlds but poo poo's bleak enough in the real world already.