Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

KeiraWalker posted:

I appreciate you left the PlayStation's boot sequence in the video. Duck's right, that never gets old. Makes me want to hook up my PSone to a surround sound system and shake the windows with it.

Slow like KF1(JP), or slow like KH2's intro?

Like KF2's intro. KF1 is Doom by comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013
Possibly relevant: there's no jump in this game, but if you go off a ledge at a run you travel farther, in what might be described as a jump-like action.

Sum Gai fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 8, 2020

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Dewgy posted:

Quite relevant, in fact! Our latest episode title covers this very subject. :haw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNjP8NQs2ig

Fun fact: I totally did not need to jump off that bridge, but I'd gladly do it again. DONK!

It's also not the only point in the game where the advise is useful! Like, hypothetically, a chest in a hallway that requires going over a trapdoor

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013
I think missile shield helps a little? Like, it's still a matter of luck, but it gives you more luck, maybe.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013
This game's a little weird compared to King's Field 1(2), in that its map is both bigger than the last one, but also less ambitious- areas are a lot flatter and less vertical, there's never an instance where you open a shortcut like with the fountain. It definitely makes the map way, way more useful, though.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013
I'm pretty impressed you used the fairy fossil on your own. I had the guide to this game and always wondered if anyone solved that puzzle without it.

So in order to use Sword Magic in this game you actually have to be trained in it. Tier one magic is taught by Veyrac in Cason after your stats hit a certain level, although I think at this point it might be too late; tier two is taught to you if you use Lyn's ring by the fountain in the castle courtyard. Neither actually tells you that's what they're teaching you or how to use it, so good luck figuring out the random button combination that didn't actually do anything until now. It's tricky enough that even the official guide says that it's not in this game.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Shadow Tower Abyss is the fastest playing of all the Kings Field games, and also incredibly strange.
To name a few strange mechanics:
All Equipment gives you stat bonuses, which is where the majority of your stats will come from.
However, equipment also has durability, and the bonuses scale to that durability.
Now you can repair your equipment at certain stations, but the currency for that is your own HP. This is a problem since healing is relatively scarce in the game.
However the other side to this is that you can sacrifice an item to heal yourself.

On the plus side the game never really stops giving you equipment so you are almost never without something to protect yourself.

It's kind of a survival horror game in a fantasy dungeon, sort of. Eventually you'll have enough potions and junk to trade for them that the durability mechanic becomes easy to ignore, at least for the gear you care about, but between then and the beginning of the game...

E: Update at bottom of previous page.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Dewgy posted:

I think that's just my earth heal topping me off after a cast, but it's still a good thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcPnnDmd3Sc

I just gotta say I really don't like how poorly this big dwarf guy is treating that obvious holy relic. A cross is not an axe, big man!

I think Earth Heal just gives a passive regen effect once you've leveled it up.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Professor Duck posted:

It's.....uhhhh.....special, all right....

Admittedly, I like it better than what we've been doing, but drat this is a hard left

Gave the game a shot a few months back. Got stuck on the second level when weapons went from "easily broken" to "made of tissues". Interested in seeing how it goes for you.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The trick is to never be attached to any weapon but :ssh:

This assumes you have enough weapons to switch between them, rather than all of them being about to disintegrate.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Dewgy posted:

Funny, you'd have thought that would have backfired on us back in KF3, but that candle guy just would. Not. Die. :argh:

The NPCs in this one though don't seem to have that same problem. I'm not taking any chances by swinging at them, but they seem fragile enough on their own so far. :ohdear:

The NPCs in the PS1 games have ludicrous amounts of HP, presumably to stop you from accidentally killing them. I don't know about all merchants but the dwarf smith absolutely won't do business with you if you kill one anyway. The NPCs in Ancient City have much lower health and die in only a couple hits. Weirdly, the first shopkeeper in the village ruins is actually immortal, and will come back from the dead without explanation if you decide to use him for target practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013
My understanding is Abyss sold somewhere in the range of a few thousand copies in Japan, which... well, sales expectations were more modest back then, but, uh, not that much more. Apparently the English translation was basically done, too.

I do think I kind of prefer KF4 a little, just because it's so much easier to tell where you actually are. Scouring Rush is weird, but goddamn do the rooms blend together.