Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I do get some weird sense of fun playing King's Field, I love the exploration and the sense of discovery, wish there were more modern games with a vibe like that. There's someone making a game that's very KF inspired (along with other inspirations like Arx Fatalis and Ultima Underworld) called Monomyth, but whether it will be good or even release is a mystery :iiam:

King's Field 1 runs at like... 20 fps, except a good portion of the time it just straight up drops to the mid 10s, but at least it's not like King's Field 2 (KF 1 US) where sometimes it goes to 30, then drops to the 20 somethings and then to the mid 10s in the span of a couple of seconds... It's wildly inconsistent and I didn't beat it because it gave me headaches playing on an emulator. Good luck on the LP, and I hope you guys get to KF 4 cause I like that one the most, despite issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Dewgy posted:

Wow, you uhhhh weren't kidding. :stare:

I found this video showing gameplay of a closed alpha last month:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNHDiTLlZXM

Honestly it looks pretty alright in my opinion, here's hoping they keep working on it. I'll stop derailing the thread now though. I remember playing the Sword of Moonlight remake of KF1 and it ran well on Windows 10, but it feels... I don't know, weird? Off somehow? At least it runs well.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Scalding Coffee posted:

I bet the Mirror of Truth is either going to be used to uncover invisible floors or uncover a doppelganger.

It's used to display some bit of information about characters and monsters in the game. You have to be looking at them and use it.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, the first two King's Field games are really bad about this, they straight up don't tell you what the equipment stats are or what items do so you have to use a guide or something. Not even the manual helps. King's Field 3, despite having an item description button, doesn't show you the equipment stats either so you have to open the stats menu too. Shadow Tower is much better about all of this, although it released much later than the first 3 KF games. It's also a more direct Souls series analogue.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Incredible how even though I beat this somewhat recently I don't recall the earth, water, etc seal stone as items at all. Also good thing you guys are progressing quickly cause when I played this I kept hugging the walls all the time searching for secret passages :shepicide:

Everytime I see any of the KF games I wonder what it would be like if they attempted a new one, but perhaps the only way it would be relevant would be to make a new one a VR game. King's Field and Echo Night would be a nice fit for VR imo, although I'm not sure how combat would be like in a KF VR game. Although the slowness of the movement and combat could still be maintained and kept as a nostalgic design choice and also as a way to avoid motion sickness :pseudo:

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Tallgeese posted:

All of the King's Field story is in the background materials released later. It doesn't make sense between the games without them, because it is full of retcons to force the games to make sense.

If I remember correctly, we fought the King's son because he was being possessed by the black dragon demigod of light, Guyra, who was trying to resurrect himself.

I forget if King's Field II goes into this, but as for why the tree wants the Moonlight Sword:

The Moonlight Sword is Guyra's sword, and a necessary item for his revival.

Are the background materials only in Japanese? It would be cool to see them. King's Field has a lot of lore but I'd be damned if I understood any of it. There was a series of videos on YouTube that someone did explaining the lore of the series covering each game, but I think it mentions stuff we haven't seen yet, only in the next games.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Starting King's Field (2) and dying right at the beginning is pure FromSoft in a nutshell

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

FirstAidKite posted:

Honestly I just like the tradition with the king's field games of at the beginning hiding a treasure chest with a shield in a secret room with a skeleton, an enemy that at the beginning can and will kill you easily

Idk if it is in KF4 or if there is a Shadow Tower equivalent but I know they're there for the ps1 trilogy and I'm glad for it.

KF4 has a treasure chest in a secret room with a skeleton as well in an area very near the beginning of the game, also you can just die if you step on a certain part of the floor right at the beginning. Shadow Tower is even more dickish cause you start at a very narrow platform and if you walk back or strafe in either direction you just die. From Software!

Tallgeese posted:

Man I have an itch to play KF4 again now.

Just something about these games, they feel weirder than Dark Souls.

I like the atmosphere of 4 the most of all the KF games but goddamn if it isn't slow

Big Scary Owl fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 4, 2020

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Minecart levels from DKC are cool imo, in spite of the fact that they're a nightmare for anyone who played the games as a kid. I don't remember a single cool sewer level from any game, but maybe there is

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

FirstAidKite posted:

I think you'll find that the most detailed rendition of Guyra is this :v:

gently caress :eyepop:

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

:hmmyes:

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Oh god evergrace
That would be amazing.

Evergrace would be worth it for its soundtrack alone

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Dewgy posted:

And we're back from the dead! Bringing you King's Field: The Ancient City, where for once we're not playing as the immediate descendent or friend of the last game's protagonist. (Or maybe we are, I wholly expect someone with more knowledge of series lore to correct me on that. :v:)
:hellyeah: this is my favorite of the King's Field games, I really like the atmosphere in this one. I was actually replaying it a bit yesterday so this is some great timing.

Dewgy posted:

and might be doing some livestreams of Armored Core too
:getin:

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Dewgy posted:

And we're back from the dead! Bringing you King's Field: The Ancient City, where for once we're not playing as the immediate descendent or friend of the last game's protagonist. (Or maybe we are, I wholly expect someone with more knowledge of series lore to correct me on that. :v:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-t051FK0mE

A quick heads up, the audio mix is a little screwed because once again I made major changes to the recording setup, and also I'm an idiot! Will be fixed next week, and maybe I'll do something about those weird texture glitches too. First impressions are very positive so far, for me anyway, this is really starting to fit the proto-Dark Souls mold in environment detail and polish.

Absolutely no idea where we're going, which also fits right in with the theme. :haw:

We'll be doing this game weekly because my schedule is way more packed right now than I expected and might be doing some livestreams of Armored Core too, so I'll link to that when we manage to work out the kinks and when I'm not too tired to handle it.

Double post but gently caress it I'll add to this post as I watch the video and find stuff to comment on (which may be rendered null and void later on in the video but let's go anyway):

The weird lights thing in the sky is totally an emulator glitch. You can press F9 to change to software rendering and all of the visual glitches go away, but the internal resolution is going to be locked to the PS2's native resolution

Durability is a thing in this too but I've never seen anything break in this game

edit: gently caress i accidentally page sniped sorry

Big Scary Owl fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 22, 2020

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Dewgy posted:

Anyway, we're finally back into it! I think this game might be cursed, or maybe I might be cursed.

Well you are carrying a cursed idol in the game OP hth :)
But with regards to the video itself, the thing that really sets the tone in the game (at least for me) for how hosed this place is isn't the foreboding skies, or the monsters running about, or the decrepit and abandoned buildings, it's that emaciated dog next to that girl :smith:

Audio's great now too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Now that you guys finished this game I feel like I can finally post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T8nb45F-v8

No spoilers for either game, it's just Dark Souls 2 in low resolution first person with KF4 UI elements. It's uncanny how similar it looks to a KF game