Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Merrygate
Aug 10, 2019

You take these risky jobs too, huh?
The original King's Field...it's amazing to me to see an LP of any of them, let alone the first game! I'd really like to play this myself, since I'm only familiar with the King's Field titles released in the US, and I loved them despite their...issues.

Something to bear in mind, is that the Sony Playstation (PSX) was released on December 3rd, 1994 in Japan. This game was released on December 16th, 1994. That dates this game as a title pretty drat close to the console's first launch...meaning all of what you're seeing now was absolutely mindblowing back in that era to those without access to a PC. This game also has historic significance, being the first-ever fully-3D (no sprites) action-RPG ever made. While Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss (March 1992) and also The Elder Scrolls: Arena (March 1994) would predate this, both of those games utilized sprites instead of rendered 3D models for the myriad NPCs and monsters. By today's standards, it's incredibly ugly, even for a small independent studio, but this was in the tail-end 1994. I'll never forgive X/Cross opening the menu, but I'll throw credit where it's due for working within the limitations of extremely new and untested technology for the time.

All that said, this is still a Fromsoft game. I fully expect to see the game playing some really nasty tricks on you, and their disturbingly strong knack for creating a dark, depressing atmosphere full of misery waiting to sink its claws into another victim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU