Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Kchama posted:

The whole 'Dark Gods from another universe and also the mysterious data-being that can only manifest in select ways and don't give a poo poo about the laws of physics' deal still reminds me a lot of the Festum from Fafnir, who can come and attack more directly but it's also their only way of interacting with the universe at first - their physical forms are the result of the people's perception who first saw them, as they read minds effortlessly. And they can do such things as create a black hole-like wormhole in space and time to teleport around and also just plain make people stop existing. They can connect to anyone's minds who answers their psychic question "Are you there?", which most people do without even realizing it.

The Festum are just the fingers of a being from another universe trying to figure out what's going on in this shiny hole someone accidentally poked through the worlds.

See, it's interesting, because that's what my brain basically tells me the 'dark gods' are, that idea of something/s that can't quite figure out our universe and are mostly destructive without intention. This is basically what Chapter 47 will state, I think, and similar to what Holden basically describes as an immune response a few chapters ago. But then, I don't know how much that links to Tiamat's Wrath stuff with the game theory bit and the idea that they've been trying to tit-or-tat us, or even this novel where they're loving with ionic bonds and getting confused. It could be that my brain is trying to stitch together something that feels like it makes more sense. There's a part of me that really struggles with things like 'they can disrupt the speed of light', 'they can turn off consciousness', 'they can gently caress with ionic bonds', 'they're viewing our universe from the outside and rattling our windows' and 'they get confused when a ship goes through a gate and they think their physics-busting powers don't work on monkeys.'

Before the last novel came out, I remember a theory where it was basically that the Builders had ascended to being 'above' our material reality/substrate whereas the Dark Gods were beings who were 'below' the substrate. The idea was somewhat similar, that the Builder tech is disruptive to them in ways that maybe the Builders could never conceive or were so far removed from that they didn't really care. I think the idea was some kind of quantum-scale lifeform or something? But when we're getting into "they're incomprehensible aliens from another incomprehensible universe" and/or "the dark gods are the other universe", I feel the story is getting so abstruse that it's hard remain engaged with it. To such an extent that, like, "the dark gods are the reality-breaking psychic remnants of all the dead species the Builders wiped out, and they want to be put to rest but can't destroy the infrastructure that houses them" feels like it'd make more sense, be more palatable, and fit with ideas the series raised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

To such an extent that, like, "the dark gods are the reality-breaking psychic remnants of all the dead species the Builders wiped out, and they want to be put to rest but can't destroy the infrastructure that houses them" feels like it'd make more sense, be more palatable, and fit with ideas the series raised.

This was my theory years and years ago about what was happening with the Goths;

PriorMarcus posted:

Does anyone have any theories on the goths?

My personal theory is that it/they are actually the collected consciousness of the Protomolecule. We've already seen that it can be intelligent and inquisitive and has the ability to problem solve. What if over the original thousands of years when the PM was being used for everything it was also absorbing rudimentary intelligence and instincts and evolving some form of sentience unbeknownst to the Roman's? The Roman's realized they had unwittingly created a super intelligent and dangerous consciousness and decided to cut out the infection by destroying their empire and closing off the gate network, terrified of the very technology it was made of uprising.

Millions of years later our PM node undergoes a rapid equivalent of the same thing because it absorbs living sentient creatures, but is also grounded in the emotional and moral realities of Julie Mao and Miller.

Now the Goths exist in the spaces where the PM used to, where it evolved, and all of a sudden a new race is starting to use it and experiment with it and piss it off. In the end the human made PM, fused from a million different voices and colours and creeds, and with an Earther and a Belter at the heart of it will be the solution to the war with the Goths.

And humanity will learn a lesson about living together, and about workers rights, and about the tech we create not being a solution to our problems.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

PriorMarcus posted:

This was my theory years and years ago about what was happening with the Goths;

That is actually a much better idea of what I was vaguely thinking about, haha. It also indicates something that I think is a bad misfire in the ending of Falls which is that the last chapter is Naomi and Jim when it feels like it should be Miller and Holden.