Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under
I have an Intel Core i5 661 @ 3.33Ghz running Windows 7.
Not a lot is expected of it, and not a lot is done except the usual web browsing and some word processing.
It's party trick is to render the monitor useless every once in a while, but with different fail screens - sometimes all black, sometimes all white, sometimes white with black vertical lines about 20px apart. No noise from the PC or audible noticable errors - on a new monitor I just got a crash similar to before but with noise (stuttery repeated noise from a video playing).
Where can i access a crash dialog/report in Windows after I hard reset? Happy to track down the culprit myself, but no idea where to look.

BastardAus fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Mar 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

BastardAus posted:

I have an Intel Core i5 661 @ 3.33Ghz running Windows 7.
Not a lot is expected of it, and not a lot is done except the usual web browsing and some word processing.
It's party trick is to render the monitor useless every once in a while, but with different fail screens - sometimes all black, sometimes all white, sometimes white with black vertical lines about 20px apart. No noise from the PC or audible noticable errors - on a new monitor I just got a crash similar to before but with noise (stuttery repeated noise from a video playing).
Where can i access a crash dialog/report in Windows after I hard reset? Happy to track down the culprit myself, but no idea where to look.

Do you mean Event Viewer (found in Administrative Tools)?

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
Is it using onboard video or a graphics card?

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under

Angelwolf posted:

ly, that'
Do you mean Event Viewer (found in Administrative Tools)?

That sounds like the one, will have a look there – thank you!

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under

Slayerjerman posted:

Is it using onboard video or a graphics card?

Display is listed as an AMD Radeon HD 5670, guess that's a card?
Thinkng about unseating/reseating all the RAM and video card (if it is one).

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under
Here's what the event log turned up and it matches my crash times. There's nothing in the lead up to these events going squirrely, PSU maybe?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

BastardAus posted:

Here's what the event log turned up and it matches my crash times. There's nothing in the lead up to these events going squirrely, PSU maybe?

Yeah, that would be on the shortlist of failing components.