Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
I’m glad I got in and donated about 2 weeks before all this started.

Question: is anyone familiar with Versiti blood centers? Do they actually do any good with the blood that’s donated to them or do they just sell the blood to hospitals and pocket the profits? I figure any addition to the blood supply is good, but at least the Red Cross, while they do sell their donated blood, does disaster relief and stuff. I just want to know because there’s a Versiti blood center at a really convenient location for me, but if my donation would do more good somewhere else I’d rather donate there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

Does anyone know if there’s been a lifting of the prohibition on gay men donating? If not I’ll just have to donate money.
https://www.npr.org/sections/corona...sed-by-coronavi

Looks like need trumps bad, outdated policy

12 months between sexual intercourse down to 3 months. However, as said, they test and treat it anyway. What's a few months between friends?

Scudworth posted:

Hi I don't know if you have a tag ready yet but I donated today and thought of a contrast to the previous one-

I'm picking up what you're putting down!

sweet thursday fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 3, 2020

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

sweet thursday posted:

12 months between sexual intercourse down to 3 months. However, as said, they test and treat it anyway. What's a few months between friends?
The screening isn't perfect; there's still the same deferral for getting a tattoo. But if it's just HIV they're concerned with 3 months still seems a bit excessive since modern tests should detect it after a few weeks.

For other things there aren't effective screens other than the questions they give you. That's why they ask you to call back if you get cold symptoms.

ShadowHawk fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Apr 4, 2020

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Scudworth posted:

Hi I don't know if you have a tag ready yet but I donated today and thought of a contrast to the previous one-

Haven't heard back from the person who is supposed to be doing the gangtags so we'll run with this.

If you donate blood or make a 10+ dollar donation to a medical charity, you get the gangtag and are entered into a raffle for a free ava of your choice to be distributed at the end of April (5 winners)

Please be careful to make sure you are remaining sanitary while doing so, and do not do so if you have any indication you may be ill.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
I'm down for a sikk gangtag

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I went the money route and donated :10bux::10bux: to the Red Cross

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

fool of sound posted:

Haven't heard back from the person who is supposed to be doing the gangtags so we'll run with this.

If you donate blood or make a 10+ dollar donation to a medical charity, you get the gangtag and are entered into a raffle for a free ava of your choice to be distributed at the end of April (5 winners)

Please be careful to make sure you are remaining sanitary while doing so, and do not do so if you have any indication you may be ill.

Gangtag me please

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
You son of a bitch I'm in!

Let me know if there is some other form of proof, the Canadian Red Cross didn't seem to give me a confirmation number.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I'm not picky about proof as long as you make an attempt at it. If you defraud me out of a gangtag that's between you and your conscience I guess.

The first gangtags will come down in a day or two, when the admins upload it.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

signed up to donate on april 10th

thanks for making this thread. my brain is falling apart and i need to help just to keep myself sane

Ruckby
Aug 25, 2009
Scheduled a donation next Thursday :bloodborne:

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Donated with my mom on the 4th. Then ate sushi afterwards. There was a farmers market across the street, full of people. :(

My vitals are bad, but the gangtag looks good.

The place I went to was not accepting AB+ and B+ due to a huge surplus. Despite my area being full of idiots, they love donating blood, I guess.

ChikoDemono fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Apr 5, 2020

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

fool of sound posted:

I'm not picky about proof as long as you make an attempt at it. If you defraud me out of a gangtag that's between you and your conscience I guess.

The first gangtags will come down in a day or two, when the admins upload it.

Does my call-in card from last page count? :shobon:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

JordanKai posted:

Does my call-in card from last page count? :shobon:

Sure

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

Donation number 33. The Ottawa blood centre was really busy. I probably wouldn't have been able to donate without an appointment, even with showing up 2 hours before closing.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Badger of Basra posted:

Does anyone know if there’s been a lifting of the prohibition on gay men donating? If not I’ll just have to donate money.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/fda-eases-ban-on-blood-donations-from-gay-bisexual-men-amid-coronavirus-pandemic/ar-BB12aU65

1 year since having sex with another man has been reduced to 3 months in the US. Still pretty fuckin' insulting, but hey I'm sure even us gay goons often go 3 months at a time without sex.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
OK first set of gangtags are in. Let me know if you donated and aren't on this list:
Vinestalk
HootTheOwl
sweet thursday
JordanKai
Condiv
Square Peg
Scudworth
BlackIronHeart
Endymion FRS MK1
tomapot
Raenir Salazar
ChikoDemono
Dilb

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

fool of sound posted:

I'll pay for two more avs, to bring the total to 7 winners.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Did my double red cell donation this afternoon:

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Oops I donated 2 weeks ago when they first sent out the distress signal

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Another Bill posted:

Alright goons, I'm putting the call out: if you're able bodied and healthy make an appointment. If I can give blood you can too.

I made this post about me giving blood/encouraging others to do so about 2 weeks ago in DnD. Type O Negative, let's do this!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I have filthy foreigner blood, but my filthy foreigner money is still good.

Mykroft
Aug 25, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
I also went the money route, thanks for starting the thread.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My meds are a no-no, so cash it is.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fool of sound posted:

OK first set of gangtags are in. Let me know if you donated and aren't on this list:
Vinestalk
HootTheOwl
sweet thursday
JordanKai
Condiv
Square Peg
Scudworth
BlackIronHeart
Endymion FRS MK1
tomapot
Raenir Salazar
ChikoDemono
Dilb

I already got an av so you can scratch my name off the drawing for one of the five.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

whoa, thanks for the gangtag even though I haven't had the chance to donate since the thread started

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Donated blood on 21 March with MY GIRLFRIEND through Canadian Blood Services.
I took 7 1/2 minutes, she got that o negative unicorn blood out in 5 1/2 minutes.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Bleed you fucks.

Bleed.

Platelets for the platelet throne!

Gonna try and donate every 2 till this is over or I get the rona. Platelets are super scarce and don't last long. They also work backwards, ab+ is the universal donor for them. So if you can spare the time consider a part donation, you get to watch your blood flow in and out of a cool machine!

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

A lot of people in need are going to be walking around with goon blood in their veins pretty soon

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

sweet thursday posted:

A lot of people in need are going to be walking around with goon blood in their veins pretty soon

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Vinestalk posted:

I'll pay for two more avs, to bring the total to 7 winners.

Take me out of the raffle and I'll add an 8th avatar.

Bleed, lurkers.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Safely.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
:siren: :siren: If you have recovered from Covid-19 they really really want your plasma because it can treat severely ill patients directly :siren: :siren:

It's called "Convalescent Plasma Therapy" and was approved in the US just last week (demonstrated in China previously).

Go to the Red Cross donation link - this is a separate process from normal plasma donations.

At the moment they require you to have tested postive (and be asymptomatic for two weeks), but if you never managed to get a proper test they may soon be able to test you

FAQ posted:

I don’t have a positive COVID-19 test but am certain that I had it (lists symptoms), can I still participate?

Thank you for your willingness to donate convalescent plasma to help patients. If you do not have a test confirming your diagnosis of COVID-19, additional testing is required for you to be qualified as an eligible donor. At this time, we have not yet established a process by which testing can be performed. We encourage you fill out our Donor Contact Form and we will contact you to provide a sample for testing once its available.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Hey I have been informed that people with far too many gangtags may have their list truncated by angry admins so if you have more than 3ish I might ask you which one you want to replace

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I try to give blood every time I become eligible again, and I've got an appointment coming up on the 15th

Any special tips to keep in mind for covid safety, or the same poo poo as anywhere else, wash hands and social distance?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

rotinaj posted:

I try to give blood every time I become eligible again, and I've got an appointment coming up on the 15th

Any special tips to keep in mind for covid safety, or the same poo poo as anywhere else, wash hands and social distance?

Wear a mask out of courtesy for the staff. Bring your own pen for filling out forms.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
MAKE

AN

APPOINTMENT

A lot of blood banks are short of phlebotomists and heavy on walkins. I got to listen to them for 70 minutes deal with walk ins while being 3 workers down when I gave platelets. So if you are able to, schedule your donation in advance, it'll take some of the stress off the workers.

edit: A and AN are two different things and I should learn to use them even when I'm typing bad on the internet. Also I think my gangtag is broke. Not that I don't love the random url, it's got style, but so would Gift of Life, RAIN OF BLOOD.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
I've got an appointment on the 20th for plasma donation, will chuck a picture in this post when I've donated

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

it was nice going and learning that all my vitals have been solidly trending in the 'more healthy' direction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

PIZZA.BAT posted:

it was nice going and learning that all my vitals have been solidly trending in the 'more healthy' direction

Was this in a car dealership, that's hardcore