Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

http://www.returnofreckoning.com/index.php
RoR Goon Discord: https://discord.gg/EHzVyKz

Return of Reckoning is a F2P private server for Warhammer Online launched in 2015. The successor to DAoC, Warhammer Online was an PvP MMORPG built with open RvR as it's foundation. It was released by Mythic in 2008 during the worst possible time with WoW: WOTLK dropping just two months after. After a pretty successful release, the mass exodus of players, the badly imbalanced classes & poor management led to a swift death in 2013. Due to the youtube video linked below from TheLazyPeon posted Feb29th, the population that was recently around ~1k has tripled and just last weekend hit the new 3.5k cap. If you never played the game before, or you're like me and played the beta & live yearning for a valid PvP MMO, there has never been a better time to play. The devs have clearly put a lot of time and effort into getting the game to where it is today, both optimizing the server working all weekend during the initial rush of players from the video, and over the last 5 years steadily adding content most recently City Sieges, ranked 6v6 scenarios, and properly balancing the game. If you are on the fence about this game for whatever reason (never played it, playing other game, hesitant about learning new MMO) just browse this thread and read the consensus of everyone on both the game and the guild we've got going.

Zarbix twitch chat posted:

1:34:16
GamingDaReal_Bl3ss3D:I used to play this from Alpha till the last day
1:34:52
GamingDaReal_Bl3ss3D:< was a Community Mod for the game lol I didnt know their was a private server
1:36:15
GamingDaReal_Bl3ss3D:Thnx to the Something Awful/Goons they destroyed the game they brought in tons of Subs then bounced all at once and the game just tanked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQH5nqOSepEhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6srTGHClIA
Watch first impressions video from TheLazyPeon which generated a massive population increase last month

There are 4 class archtypes: tank, healer, melee dps & ranged dps, and each class has a mirror though are not identical by any means. Each class gets 3 spec trees, with specific gear sets for each spec. You also spend renown points on things like Defense, individual stat increases, or things like increased Crit% chance.
Current level caps are 40/RR255, with 40/70+ being ideal.

Destruction Classes (tank/mdps/rdps/heal)
Chaos: Chosen, Marauder, Magus, Zealot
Greenskins: Black Orc, Choppa, Squig Herder, Shaman
Dark Elves: Blackguard, Witch Elf, Sorcerer, Disciple of Khaine

Order Classes (tank/mdps/rdps/heal)
Empire: Knight of the Blazing Sun, Witch Hunter, Bright Wizard, Warrior Priest
Dwarves: Ironbreaker, Slayer, Engineer, Runepriest
High Elves: Swordmaster, White Lion, Shadow Warrior, Archmage

WHY YOU SHOULD DOWNLOAD RoR RIGHT NOW: free to play and zero pay to win, constant PvP & open world RvR + scenario queues, totally different game from live with balanced classes much more variety in viable specs and totally new abilities, functioning PvE public quests and dungeons, level through strictly PvP, a hardworking decent dev team dedicated to improving the server and adding new content, a ton of unique interesting classes, large emphasis on teamwork and unmatched large scale RvR with over a thousand concurrent players in one zone pvp'ing at peak, double xp rate of live so leveling can be fast, weekly weekend scenario events, added two new home cities (Dwarf & Greenskin) that were worked on but never added on live, renown events for even faster leveling CR/RR, an old-school MMO feeling, extremely easy installation

From level 1-40 you can level up strictly through PvP/open RvR, and you shouldn't do it any other way due to your CR/XP level being separate from your renown level. RR is leveled through PvPing & open RvR, and determines the gear you can wear. Your main spec gear will come from ORvR, and your off-spec gear will come from scenarios; you redeem the emblems or medallions you accumulate, respectively. PvE dungeons/quests have very good items which should be done once you hit max level. There is a lot to digest in this game, and there really aren't that many resources readily available, being that it died within 5 years. The discord linked is best place to get in depth answers to your questions, and to further optimize the game performance/UI/character wise.

Join the discord and ask for an invite to the Guild: Destro guild still around
Forums: https://www.returnofreckoning.com/forum/
http://www.returnofreckoning.com/index.php

UI Package which includes all of the vital addons:
VinyUI Package (spend 10mins config it on login): https://www.returnofreckoning.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6371#p70132

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKOhzfkCdbY OG Cinematic Trailer #2 they spent their entire budget on trying to do the WoW thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwaPckbh0IE&t=94s RvR warband PvP

Skyfire posted:

Effort post incoming, here's a few tips on leveling/cash generation that I've picked up.

Murderball RVR Cash generation / leveling

This works best if you have some form of ranged AOE in group to tag as many targets as possible.
RVR in some areas basically turns into a back and forth between either the 2 war camps or a keep and war camp. You can get easily get 25 kills during a push which can happen frequently. There are several quests you can get, let's look at Reikland for example :

Just looking at the first 3 quests, Over 3g and 40k exp for 25 kills? Yes please. I made about 40g in an hour on my 25 Black Orc for a keep defence that wasn't in any danger of being taken just doing this. Soon as you cap on a quest either die or break off from the fight to hand in, rinse repeat. When one of the 3 WAR! quests fills up, just fly out to the relevant war camp to hand in and pick up again.

Rally master quests

If you don't mind running, you can make 10-30k exp running between the different camps in a zone which takes 2-3 minutes. Most have cash bonuses as well. Typically the rally master in each camp will have a quest to travel to the next camp. This on it's own isn't much but I usually combine it with......

Epic Quests

https://wiki.returnofreckoning.com/index.php/Epic_Quests

These quest chains will typically take you running from one end of a zone to the other killing stuff and giving you a buttload of exp. When I did the T4 chaos chain, it got me about 3/4 of a level at 37. It did take a couple of hours to do, mostly due to having to kill unavoidable stuff on the way to get to some of the quests. T4 Dark Elf epic was a bit more spread out and less exp, but quicker. T4 Greenskins epic was mostly a couple of hours just running back and forth between Kadrin Valley and IC. If i'd grabbed some guild recall scrolls this would have taken half the time. You can also combine this with quests from the camps in the same area, so pick up all quests from the camps, then bin the ones you don't do at the end.

Sacellum

This is mostly for levels 15-20 but higher levels will still get decent exp rewards from handing in quests. There are about 8 different quests for at least 150k of exp in this dungeon, The main 5 quests also have follow on's which gets you the Hunter set which is solid up through the 20's.

knox fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Feb 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar Beard
Feb 20, 2010

Been playing for about a week or so - good stuff. We got a good group of goons goin in the discord, people playing at all times of the day. Hop in and we'll get you sorted and in the guild on either side.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I assume so by virtue of it having been literal years, but is the server lag mostly fixed? I remember it was real bad and as a result it just felt awful to push buttons for the week or so I played after the server went up.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Countblanc posted:

I assume so by virtue of it having been literal years, but is the server lag mostly fixed? I remember it was real bad and as a result it just felt awful to push buttons for the week or so I played after the server went up.

There's been over a thousand players fighting in RvR zone with minimal lag & framerate drops so I definitely feel like it's been improved and they've optimized it even in the last 2 weeks. There are also certain settings to change to keep the frame-rate smooth with that many players on screen (changing to 64-bit, turning off guild names, other gfx settings). I know some people have expressed lag with the server being in EU, but I'm in New York and have had zero lag. When you level up/change zones/etc where large text pops up on the screen (I believe I have an addon as well that adds larger text) there can be 1 second hitch but it's related to that and not the consistent performance of the server during PvP.

knox fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 21, 2020

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
Just downloaded this and immediately got stuck at chargen. How do tanks feel in this game? The official forums seem to be nothing but whining about how low damage feels on them. Was thinking of running a Swordmaster or something because elves are cool.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Sinner Sandwich posted:

Just downloaded this and immediately got stuck at chargen. How do tanks feel in this game? The official forums seem to be nothing but whining about how low damage feels on them. Was thinking of running a Swordmaster or something because elves are cool.

2Handed Swordmaster spec is one of the highest damage tank specs in game & just now a SnB Swordmaster tanked half my team & never died, they're definitely awesome. Each archtype has a unique feel to it and different playstyle. I find healing on Runepriest to be as fulfilling if not more so than going 12/0 deathblows/deaths on Choppa. It feels like most people don't know how to play tanks properly in this game, how to push the line properly so that the other team's ranged can't just nuke + peeling DPS off healers as offtank. Their most important support ability is Guard and being able to basically use it like your refreshing a HoT as a healer, moving it to people being focused/on DPS at the start is super important that I've yet to see more than 2 people do, if that.

edit: Also I tried to warn you in OP :black101: character screen xp

Awesome, join the discord and just ask for invite to guild whenever you're on if you want.

knox fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 21, 2020

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

knox posted:

2Handed Swordmaster spec is one of the highest damage tank specs in game & just now a SnB Swordmaster tanked half my team & never died, they're definitely awesome. Each archtype has a unique feel to it and different playstyle. I find healing on Runepriest to be as fulfilling if not more so than going 12/0 deathblows/deaths on Choppa. I feel like most people don't know how to play tanks properly in this game- their most important support ability is Guard and being able to basically use it like your refreshing a HoT as a healer, moving it to people being focused/on DPS at the start.

Thanks for the super quick response! I'll give Swordmaster a whirl, then. I get the inkling that healers might be underrepresented so I might give that a go too, but really I just like the aesthetic of High Elves in Warhammer Fantasy.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP

Sinner Sandwich posted:

Thanks for the super quick response! I'll give Swordmaster a whirl, then. I get the inkling that healers might be underrepresented so I might give that a go too, but really I just like the aesthetic of High Elves in Warhammer Fantasy.

Swordmaster/black orc are highest DPS tanks, black orc takes an edge despite being physical damage vs swordmaster's spirit damage. Both of which are warband(zerg) viable, SM usually only having 1-2 spots in optimal play due a buff that reduces group cooldowns.

On the high elf/healer note, archmages are currently the worst healer. For what it's worth.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
If I understood correctly, once you unlock PvP you can just do that and never touch PvE again? If so, what happens when you meet players who out-level you? I guess it's just a matter to keep getting curbstomped until you can hold your own.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Angry Lobster posted:

If I understood correctly, once you unlock PvP you can just do that and never touch PvE again? If so, what happens when you meet players who out-level you? I guess it's just a matter to keep getting curbstomped until you can hold your own.

All good questions. PvP is unlocked from the jump at level 1. There are the lakes in Tier1 ORvR you can just run out into and you will be bolstered to level 15 which is the Tier 1 cap (lvl1-15). Live had 4 separate Tiers, this server has combined Tier 2,3 & 4 (lvl16-40) and upscales your level. For scenarios, once you hit lvl40 you are separated from everyone else so you will have a disadvantage against the geared up people who has been there awhile. In OpenRvR Tier2-4 you get bolstered up as well so you can contribute and accumulate medallions you exchange for gear for your main spec. A geared up lvl40/RR70 will have decently large advantage over you, but you join a warband with others and use the War Report button on minimap which you use to teleport to warcamp in whichever zone has most action.
So before you hit lvl40 career rank, you should be doing open RvR to level your RR & to accumulate medallions for your main spec gear. For gearing up as you approach 40 you can do what I am about to as level 37, doing PvE quests and dungeons for some really good items along with grinding scenarios to level & ORvR when I want to. Or you can just never touch PvE at all should you so choose.

knox fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 21, 2020

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
That's really neat, I'm going to download it and give it a try. I'm usually not fond of pvp in MMOs but judging from the videos I watched the pvp seems pretty good.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

I've never played GW2, but I don't think there's a better PvP experience out there. The amount of spec you can do to your character in the game, how different each class feel, how much utility each archtype brings, the emphasis on teamwork in focusing the right target/pressuring healers. It's definitely different that most MMOs in that tanks can block your movement (there is actual movement physics in this game which is one of the biggest positives in terms of PvP), and how powerful healers are It can be frustrating playing with teammates who don't know what they're doing especially on a squishy melee dps class like Choppa that needs support to do what it does best, but there's a lot of new players right now and it's great time to pick it up and learn.

Current player count on a Saturday 2PM EST: 3036/3500

knox fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 21, 2020

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
re: PvE, doing any past lvl 4-5 puts you at an active disadvantage in renown rank. I pve'd my Ironbreaker to lvl 13 and his RR has been 4-5-6 levels behind the whole way up to 39. It's been obnoxious.

Kevlar Beard
Feb 20, 2010

PriNGLeS posted:

re: PvE, doing any past lvl 4-5 puts you at an active disadvantage in renown rank. I pve'd my Ironbreaker to lvl 13 and his RR has been 4-5-6 levels behind the whole way up to 39. It's been obnoxious.

You can buy potions in warcamps that reduce experience by 50% if this is you IIRC.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Kevlar Beard posted:

You can buy potions in warcamps that reduce experience by 50% if this is you IIRC.

I believe it's 75% but yeah that seems good to use close to CR39.5.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
what's the best way to get gear at not-max level? particularly during T1

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

How are shadow warriors? I remember really enjoying being an opportunistic vulture in RvR as a skirmisher specced shadow warrior, but I ducked out of the game way before it went down.. and honestly, I don't recall if it was actually good, just that it was fun.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Countblanc posted:

what's the best way to get gear at not-max level? particularly during T1

Redeeming the emblems you accumulate through scenarios and completing the repeatable scenario quests. Emblems from scenarios gives you your off-spec gear, medallions from RvR is your main spec. For leveling I haven't bothered gettingn medallions since scenarios are the quickest leveling if the queues are popping, and the off-spec gear is good enough anyway for any spec as it is just to get you through the Tiers to get to max level. Emblems also give you you're main weapons.

Cabbit posted:

How are shadow warriors? I remember really enjoying being an opportunistic vulture in RvR as a skirmisher specced shadow warrior, but I ducked out of the game way before it went down.. and honestly, I don't recall if it was actually good, just that it was fun.

Melee Shadow Warrior is really good, ranged spec I think is kind of broken as the moment and not very good. But melee SW with their debuffs and utility + damage, are valuable in both small party and warbands.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Where would one go to redeem those tokens?

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Countblanc posted:

Where would one go to redeem those tokens?

In Tier1 warcamp there should be the first Recruit Emblem/Medallion vendors there, but since you leave that zone quickly you will be primarily redeeming them in the capital main cities; for Destro it's The Undercroft in Inevitable City, Order it's the War Quarters in Altdorf. Check the map when your in the city (to fly there use the flight master in one of the Tier 1 warcamps, and go to Empire/Chaos Tier 4 and you'll see IC/Altdorf), and War Quarters/Undercroft will be the area with red color code. You will see "Recruit/Scout/Soldier/Officer" Medallion or Emblem merchants. Check your bag and go to the second tab "Currency Items" and you'll see how many medallions or emblems you have. You can both break higher ones into lower one, or redeem 5 to get 1 from the next tier (so 5x Recruit Medallions for 1 Scout Medallion). You can't interchange the two though.

Make sure when you enter every scenario to pick up the blue repeatable quest at the start, and turn it in right in Altdorf or Inevitable City if you win.

knox fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 23, 2020

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Someone convince Ehud to play this with me.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Jebediah posted:

Someone convince Ehud to play this with me.

no!

Is there any reason to go Order vs Destruction other than personal preference?

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Order does seem to have faster queues at times, but Destro have also been instant for the most part. Even early morning 1AM EST the scenario queues were popping on Destro. Also people say Order has the RvR advantage due to Bright Wizard's AoE abilities being best in the game, and the current situation being many veteran playing currently main'ing Order during rush/more experienced RvR leadership on Order so lately they've been killing it ORvR. But that's just motivation to bring that goon leadership to our evil brethren. Playing both because Runepriest is my favorite class in the game, and I like being underdog playing Destro.

But it's just matter of what class you have most fun with. I like classes on both factions, and certain archtype groups I like more on certain sides (tanks on Destro obviously, Runepriest on Order). Currently we could use some more damage on Order (Slayer, Shadow Warrior, BW, Whitelion) as we got a WP & me RP healing along with IB and couple KOTBS. But I always just suggest playing what's most fun; check out classes further either through youtube/information on the forums to see which sounds the coolest to you, and asking in the discord if you have any specific questions.

knox fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 23, 2020

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

"I took the most excellent hit of my life. Next thing I knew, I was on the beach taking in some cosmic rays gettin healed by mother nature. Takin in a little brewski, holdin on to a beautiful babe. And I'm fine today!"
This game is so much fun, especially if you have a group to queue with. Most scenarios are 12 v 12 so if you a solid 2 or 3 players working together you can go hard and the rest of the team just seems to follow right behind. I'm starting to feel a bit addicted playing it which I haven't felt about a MMO since early 2000s.

I've been playing a bunch of Order because of faster queuing but honestly the look and feel of destro is amazing. The art department knocked it out of the park with the greenskins.

If you are on the fence I'd definitely give it a try since it's free and fun to play if you like PvP.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Beach Party posted:

This game is so much fun, especially if you have a group to queue with. Most scenarios are 12 v 12 so if you a solid 2 or 3 players working together you can go hard and the rest of the team just seems to follow right behind. I'm starting to feel a bit addicted playing it which I haven't felt about a MMO since early 2000s.

I've been playing a bunch of Order because of faster queuing but honestly the look and feel of destro is amazing. The art department knocked it out of the park with the greenskins.

If you are on the fence I'd definitely give it a try since it's free and fun to play if you like PvP.

Agree with you hunnid percent, got me making threads and poo poo. I mean I was playing FFXIV and wanted to be wasting a lot of my time in an MMO but since I downoaded RoR I haven't logged in. I'm kind of pissed at myself that I didn't check it out sooner and that it took the Peon video to get me excited like the rest of the masses. I had seen the old thread here but I guess I didn't really think a 5 year old private server with relatively zero new interest on here could be run so well and worked on so heavily by the devs that they literally took the base WAR game and made it what I always thought it could be. And I really do loving love the artstyle soooo much more than dogshit WoW.

The voice sounds are also incredible to me.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Mythic always had some great artists, some of the environments in DAoC still feel second to none.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Does gear matter before cap? My BW hit 15 but I don’t want to grind out PQs for that influence gear and I’m not close to having enough tokens for anything. Also, is there a way to make money if you’re only leveling through PvP?

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Kaysette posted:

Does gear matter before cap? My BW hit 15 but I don’t want to grind out PQs for that influence gear and I’m not close to having enough tokens for anything. Also, is there a way to make money if you’re only leveling through PvP?

It doesn't matter per se though you should be accumulating enough emblems through doing the blue repeatable quests at the start of scenarios + scenarios drop the emblems in general, to redeem for gear. They also give you steady stream gold. In the capital cities, you should also go pick up a gathering skill and tradeskill by talking to the tradeskill npc's. Something like Scavenging which after looting a mob, you can scavenge it for more loot and get things like rare dyes, and just selling the random poo poo it gives me to NPC was giving me good amount of gold. Some people in guild AoE farm mobs for gold and for tradeskill materals.

Grinding scenario queues is fastest way to level and should give you enough emblems to redeem, even if you to break them down. Go to the Recruit Emblem Vendor you need like under 20 for your first piece of 'Decimator' gear. Just keep handing in the repeatable quest in either Altdorf for Order or Inevitable City for Destro, and make sure you pick up the quest when you enter the scenario if you won and turned in prior one.

If you get Scout Emblems, you can break it down into 5 Recruit Emblems to get the lower gear easier.

knox fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 24, 2020

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Is Torq still loving with balance? Last time I looked at this the "lead" dev basically buffed white lions out the rear end to being unstoppable monstrosities because they're his favorite. He was also a huge shitter on the forums.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

I googled it as I had not seen that name around and it seems he is no longer on the dev team. There are still some devs with a elitist attitude, but I also see the pissant poo poo they have to put up with while working on server for free. I haven't seen anything that has angered me, though some might have a different opinion than myself. They banned coronavirus discussion in the chats/references to it in character names of which I saw many. I'd rather not read coronavirus discussion in the general chat of an MMO I am playing so I can't say I disagree with the policy. Pretty much only positives with how quickly they respond to server lag & it's less than 10 minutes of downtime of server has to be restarted.

White Lions are definitely strong but I wouldn't say they're unstoppable monstrosities. I stopped playing Sorc due to feeling weak before getting my full single-target burst rotation and WLs pouncing on me from 50 feet, without support it wasn't fun. But the balance is currently in a really good place in my opinion, with maybe minor tweaks needed to a weak class or specific spec if you want to go there? Also maybe a buff to Sorc AoE damage for RvR balance, is impression some have given.

knox fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 24, 2020

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

This is a good OP. :orks101:

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Thank you I tried for my first thread. Hope the bolds, underlines, and formatted pictures brings all the waaaaghers to the yard.

knox fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 24, 2020

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Repost: Getting my old interface back up to speed

Find addons here https://tools.idrinth.de/addons/

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

We doing UI posts?

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Dang, runepriest is fun as heck. Running around naked and outhealing everyone in scenarios at level 5. I like my BW but I feel like I have so much more impact here. The “enemy” add on or whatever makes healing so easy, too.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Kaysette posted:

Dang, runepriest is fun as heck. Running around naked and outhealing everyone in scenarios at level 5. I like my BW but I feel like I have so much more impact here. The “enemy” add on or whatever makes healing so easy, too.

Facts, I feel like I have such a huge impact leading in healing as Runepriest as opposed to Choppa. If I had some goon support on Choppa though it would be a lot of fun.

Enemy add on is a must have.

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

This game is good and more goons need to come try it. :getin:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Ok follow up to my last dumb question - how do I actually get to the capital cities? I thought I remember just being able to click on it from my map but that didn't seem to work, though it's been like a decade since I last visited them so I'm a bit rusty for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

For Order go to a dwarf strapped into a gyrocopter and fly.
For Destro go to a wyvern laying down by an orc and fly.