Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

married but discreet posted:

Man, how can Alien not win this?

Because Alien: Resurrection and Prometheus count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

TheBizzness posted:

Both JWs are boring and bad but JW2 sucks real bad.

That said, I still voted Jurassic Park because I’ve only seen the original Psycho.

The Psycho sequels are the most severely underrated movies in horror history. It's almost certainly an artifact of having to follow up the most famous movie of a legendary director.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

I mean the first sequel came out 23 years after the original, that doesn't help.

The Color of Money came out 25 years after The Hustler and is regarded more highly, if anything.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

Hell, we may see an upset and see Halloween vs Predator.

If you wouldn't watch that movie then you won't need Michael Myers to stab you, because I'll loving do it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

You may want to set it up so it's possible to not vote on a pairing. Otherwise about 99% of your participants will be forced to either vote for a franchise they've never seen a movie in or vote at random.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

married but discreet posted:

This is entirely a boob vs butt people discussion.

It's a "Kate Beckinsale in a leather catsuit" versus "the blind" discussion.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

Its just amuses me so much because you know all those 20 something actors are dreaming of one day being hugely successful and famous but this is just the random, cheap movie they're doing to get their foot in the door and no one will even remember it by the time they get there. And then they fulfill their dreams and get everything they ever dreamed of but that drat cheap cult horror movie won't go away!

Still better than being Cameron Diaz, though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

A Big Dark Yak posted:

Human Centipede 1 is actually pretty funny, and the insane performance by Dieter "my real name is actually Dieter Laser" Laser as Dr. Centipede really helps to make the movie work.

If you want to watch Dieter Laser chewing scenery as a mad scientist, watch Lexx season 2 instead.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

I'm gonna have to watch Critters 3

Please God don't. Watch Critters 4 though, it's significantly better than 3 despite the two movies having been made back to back.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

Well then that just cinches it for Predator. AVP is still better than the original Critters. And I'm not a fan of AVP.

He liked Critters 3,and then he said this. It's time to make a discreet phone call, I'm afraid.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Shrecknet posted:

These are your survivors so far... but death is never more than a knife's-edge away! Head over to this link and cast your vote now. Will you keep the favorite safe? Or will you let the monsters win? Choose your fate!

Neither of these franchises have very many actually good, well-made films, but they sure do have a lot of them!

Andrew Divoff gives one of the best villain performances of all time... for the two movies he's a part of. Beckinsale showed up to all three, but what do we have to show for it?

Reminder that this only runs through the first few years of Universal Monsters. Also reminder that Cube is actually a trilogy, and the first one is actually the second one in the series :eng101:

Chucky just can't seem to stab his way out of his height bracket, and the Leprechaun will have to trick Charles Lee Ray into giving up the gold medal to get into the Sweet Six-Scream :drac:

:siren: VOTE NOW! VOTE HERE! SHARE THIS LINK! :siren:

VOTING ENDS 4/12

We need a Bloodrayne option again.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

Return of the Living Dead is worth a hundred Final Destinations.

The rest of the series are worth -97 Final Destinations, though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

Aliens vs Re-Animator is the tough one for me. Aliens is unquestionably my preferred franchise, but Re-Animator feels like the truer horror.

Re-Animator is a horror comedy.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

Book of Secrets has a weird metaplot going on with poo poo you'll probably need a wikipage to get the whole view of. The screenwriters were really, really proud of "The Secret of Esrever" and making the most Hollywood sequel to a found footage film really alienated whatever fans were around.
E// actually, I realized my writeup might be biased a bit. Book of Shadows is unconventional and a definite departure from what was expected of a sequel. It does have some aspirations, so it's not a soulless cash in, and the director did give some nods to horror flicks. Here's what he said about the themes:
"This goes back to one of my core themes of this movie is that we, as a society, have so blurred the lines between fiction and reality, that we’re so willing to believe that The Blair Witch Project was… a real documentary, because we’re very lazy in our consumption of media"

The Woods/ Blair Witch is ok. Think the original with a slightly better budget and some CGI work... which may or may not be your cup of tea. I thought it was competent and had one or two interesting elements but it didn't really stick with me or make me feel like it needed to be made.

I do urge everyone to remember the insanely awesome short that ran on the SciFi channel in the lead up to the film, Curse of the Blair Witch. It really gave the film that extra mystique and weird Mysteries of the Unknown vibe thanks to "found" old footage. Arguably one of the best things to come out of the film's marketing.

Curse of the Blair Witch was part of the viral marketing and provides essential backstory for the movie. Specifically, it's where you learn that Rustin Parr's house was destroyed. So all the complaints about "why didn't they follow the river" are meaningless - once the weird poo poo began, they weren't in 1995 any more.

Book of Secrets is an odd fish. I walked out of it when it started contradicting the original. But then I wondered if that was the point, so I gave it a second try and it turned out that it was. (Before you ask, I pay a subscription for unlimited viewings.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Shrecknet posted:

If I were to do this again i would have a council decide on the definitive movie of each franchise and run those against each other.

... you've never visited the Horror Thread, have you?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

For context, what movies are these? Cuz the Cannibal Redneck slasher, from what I know, was an 80's thing and was created because of TCM.

I don't think he means he watched them in chronological order, Frank.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Sarx posted:

This is fair. I kind of think depending on who you are you either put Alien or Aliens and either Evil Dead or Evil Dead 2.

Aliens is one of the best action movies ever, but it's not one of the best horror films ever.

I actually own Evil Dead 2 but haven't watched it. I should probably take it off my Shelf of Shame. However, the reason I never got round to it is because I'm told it's basically the first movie but played for laughs. Is that accurate?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

BisonDollah posted:

Is there any Michael Myers movies worth a reconsideration btw? I see Halloween is up against TCM or Predator next round and eeeeeehhhh. Will the winner of this potentially put Myers out to pasture?

Depends which ones you weren't considering in the first place. Halloween 4 deserves consideration because the makers said "we want to make a movie where the characters don't do the stupid thing like wander off alone to investigate the noise in the attic, and they die anyway", so they get points for keying in on the metastory eight years before Scream. And I'd honestly give Resurrection a small nod for pointing out that there's no reason why someone couldn't physically fight Michael - he's not supernatural, just immensely dangerous. (That and the scene where Michael gets mistaken for an actor playing Michael.) The rest you can keep apart from H20 and H40 though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

People are voting Scream over Blade who didn't watch the TV series. It wasn't an action oriented show, it was more focused on politics and it took some pretty mean turns.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

It is pretty funny that the matchup is of 2 franchises whose 3rd entries can both be summed up as "Parkey Posey chewing scenery in a supporting role is the best part."

Being pedantic, the best part of Blade Trinity is Parker Posey being called a cockjuggling thundercunt.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

That Alien/Exorcist matchup is really tough. Really really tough. I have to think about this.

Maybe not so tough for those that don't like Heretic and Dominion but I really like every Exorcist movie except for Renny Harlin's.

It's boggling me that so many people are saying this when Alien was a windmill slam for me. And yes, I have seen all the original Exorcist trilogy. Whatever you want to argue about Resurrection - and I do think that movie still had much in the way of merit, certainly in Ripley-8's journey - the Alien franchise contains not one but two legendary movies as well as several brave efforts. The remainder of the Exorcist franchise is riding on the coattails of the original movie, which is inarguably one of the greatest horror movies of all time but even then still has Alien as a competitor.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

Yea definitely if you're just gonna watch one make it Exorcist II.

Reminder that Exorcist II is directed by John Boorman(Excalibur, Deliverance, Point Blank).

Reminder that 1492: Conquest of Paradise is directed by Ridley Scott (Alien, Blade Runner, Thelma and Louise).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

What are the worst Elm Street moments?

When you look at all the people saying "Yeah, Scream was clever and all, but I like the paedophile because he's funny."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

I personally don't like my horror villains to be evil or have repulsive traits. That would be too frightening.

I don't have a problem with Freddy being evil, repulsive or even cruel. My problem is that the draw of the movies isn't people fighting Freddy, it's watching to see what Freddy does to them. That's fine for Friday the 13th - Jason is a mindless zombie with no motivation and the people he kills are rarely more than one note cyphers, so you may as well enjoy the silly effects - but with Freddy you're also taking pleasure in his cruelty.

And yes, Freddy is a paedophile. There is adequate evidence of this in the first movie alone: the hand between Nancy's legs, the tongue coming out of the telephone. And any 80s pop psychologist would tell you there's a psychosexual element to the glove as well.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Shrecknet posted:

Ok important question:

Final-Girl Four

Or

Final Fear
?

Neither. Everyone knows that you're not a final anything until you've reached the final.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Timeless Appeal posted:

I kind of struggle to think of another franchise that didn't just poo poo on itself, but did so twice.

The Terminator has done it three times. T3 shits on the end of T2, Sarah Connor Chronicles isn't in the same continuity as T3, and Dark Fate ignores everything past T2.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Timeless Appeal posted:

Yeah, I can't imagine Halloween taking it and there's a lot of basic bitches who are just going to keep voting for it. There's not really an argument for Halloween

Halloween is sometimes scary and sometimes clever.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I voted Evil Dead with a heavy heart, but it is the more consistent franchise.

Romero over Friday is a no brainer, though. Friday is flat out the worst surviving competitor.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

TheBizzness posted:

I actually think the first movie gets a bad rap. I understand the problems people have with it, but it has a couple decent jump scares (one all-timer) and I really enjoy the atmosphere and sound design.

I watched the first movie and the only things I remember about it are the jump scare at the end and Kevin Bacon's death scene. I've seen Freddy vs Jason and I don't remember anything about it at all. Between those two poles, I don't even remember what I've actually seen and what I just saw a kill clip from on YouTube.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

Jason will annihilate all comers.

Ain't nobody round here coming at the moment, at least not in company.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Timeless Appeal posted:

Stop loving with this tired Friday bullshit and let's do it....

1. Night of the Living Dead
2. Day of the Dead
3. Dawn of the Dead
4. Land of the Dead.
5. 2000s remake of Dawn
6. 1990s remake of Night
5. Diary of the Dead
6. Survival of the Dead

I don't see any point in ranking the Living Dead movies. It's just a straight progression of diminishing returns.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Timeless Appeal posted:

I don't know if Evil Dead along with the rest of modern or indie horror happens without Night of the Living Dead.

Isaac Newton said "If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants". Newton remains the most important and diverse scientist of his age or any other.

It's interesting to look at the bracket and imagine that each series is replaced by the best movie in the series. I honestly don't see anything changing in three brackets, except Exorcist vs Alien becomes more of a tug of war. But in the Crystal Lake bracket, Friday goes out in the first round and Universal Monsters probably beats Wishmaster in the quarters.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Really hope that Campbell isn't serious when he said that he retired Ash.

He's 65 and has been playing the same idiot almost his entire adult life. I don't mind if he wants to stretch out a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Timeless Appeal posted:

There are several movies that are almost impossible to imagine existing without Romero. No Return of the Living Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and it goes beyond film. No Dead Rising, no Girl with All the Gifts, no Walking Dead graphic novel... not first like seventy issues of Walking Dead graphic novel.

That last I'm going to quibble with. The Walking Dead was inspired by Romero, but not in a positive way. Robert Kirkman's thought on it was that no zombie movie accurately reflected the true feeling of a world changing event because the movie only lasted two hours and then resolved itself. His aim was to capture what it would be like by following the world for years and even generations, with no easy escape over the hill to a brighter future because there were zombies on that side of the hill too.