Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

married but discreet posted:

All Leprechauns have been dogshit, and I won't let some Nazi dipshits hijack the entire Puppet Master franchise bad enough to lose to THAT.
Bullshit. The Lep kept tittyslashers going.

PuppetMaster has some great work though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Franchescanado posted:

I can't believe this trash beat Puppetmaster. Puppetmaster is fun trash, and y'all let Craig S. Zahler's ONE entry among thirteen ruin a fun series with at least four fun entries.
Puppetmaster is good for, like, 2 movies? Then the puppets aren't as fun and Toulon gets some weird backstory poo poo.

Lep 1 is an ok horror film. Lep 3 just leans into it being a DTV fest and is dumb as all gently caress and an enjoyable drunk movie. Lep in Space ends with his disembodied hand giving everyone the finger as it floats in space. Cmon man!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Tough pairups, but I'm gonna have to give Candyman an edge here because there's little in the way of African American representation in horror.

Overall I think I'm going towards films that had an impact on the genre vs being a good film/series. NoES had some really inventive visuals and turned to comedy faster than most of the other longrunning series that became farcical.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 5, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

alansmithee posted:

Do they still have any sort of impact today, or is it basically a case where they're classics so people are really valuing them for their historical import?
Ever notice how the vast majority of our conceptions of those monsters are derived from the Universal line?

I'm talking Vaguely European Widow's Peak Drac, Mummy-wrap Invisible Man, Bolt-necked flattop-with-scars Frankenstein? How we don't think of Count Orlok or the Modern Prometheus creation

Those films etched the very design of those monsters into the American psyche.

They're historically valuable as well. The makeup design on the original Frankenstein was loving solid... and it unfortunately got less refined over the years since the headcap on Karloff resulted in a lake of sweat piling up on his head. And Invisible Man developed a lot of cool techniques to get the invisibility effect to work, and probably helped when Wolfman did the gradual change thing from man to beast.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I have a hard time ranking Jason films because around 5 they change drastically and by the time you get to X it's not "Let's make a good slasher/horror film" it's "wink, wink, we're making a Jason flick".

So there's a sorting that says "gently caress yes X and takes Manhatten are at the top because the kills man" and there's another set with 1/2 near the top because they do a great job building the threat.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I paid to watch TFD (FD4) in theatres, in 3D, with these newfangled "motion activated seats" because I loving love this franchise.
It's great in theatres but just a rote entry otherwise.

RotLD captures something great, and is a milestone in horror comedy. But, I have to give credit for the FD series trying to keep a modicum of plot in each. 3 and 4 are probably the most setpiece > death > next, but 5 knocks the ball out of the park with the way it plays out.

I'm not sure if it was meant to be a capstone to the franchise but what a way to go out.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Basebf555 posted:

Check out RotLD 3
Meh, that's just a 90s retread of the bit with the jock slowly turning and his chaste girlfriend being pressured to slowly give in to his 'needs', just with a badass 90s coat of paint.

It's also, you know, not much of a comedy the way its predecessors are.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 12, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Franchescanado posted:

Which of the Blair Witch sequels were good/worth watching?
Book of Secrets has a weird metaplot going on with poo poo you'll probably need a wikipage to get the whole view of. The screenwriters were really, really proud of "The Secret of Esrever" and making the most Hollywood sequel to a found footage film really alienated whatever fans were around.
E// actually, I realized my writeup might be biased a bit. Book of Shadows is unconventional and a definite departure from what was expected of a sequel. It does have some aspirations, so it's not a soulless cash in, and the director did give some nods to horror flicks. Here's what he said about the themes:
"This goes back to one of my core themes of this movie is that we, as a society, have so blurred the lines between fiction and reality, that we’re so willing to believe that The Blair Witch Project was… a real documentary, because we’re very lazy in our consumption of media"

The Woods/ Blair Witch is ok. Think the original with a slightly better budget and some CGI work... which may or may not be your cup of tea. I thought it was competent and had one or two interesting elements but it didn't really stick with me or make me feel like it needed to be made.

I do urge everyone to remember the insanely awesome short that ran on the SciFi channel in the lead up to the film, Curse of the Blair Witch. It really gave the film that extra mystique and weird Mysteries of the Unknown vibe thanks to "found" old footage. Arguably one of the best things to come out of the film's marketing.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Apr 19, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Gonna have to give Freddy my vote here. As much as I love Candyman, the first 20 minutes or so of NoES do an amazing job with faking the audience out wrt the heroine.

Blade is built on the work done in 1 and 2, and Snipes' dickwad presence. 3 suffered with the obvious way they were trying to spinoff with White Sidekicks... but man, Scream singlehandedly reinvigorated the genre in the 90s. And all those bad teen-oriented slasher-wannabe's (Valentine, IKWYDLS, etc) were made in its mold. And I love that a horror veteran is basically going "there's a formula, we all know it, we all expect it, so how can we make this work again".
Honestly I agree that this caps off the slasher era with the threat of the other coming from these quaint and whitebread strongholds, while Final D is the perfect epilogue, with the existential horror of death itself as the unbeatable, inescapable foe.

Conjureverse probably should get some cred for pushing the 10s horror into saw-like connected narratives in a way that Paranormal Activity failed to do... but ED is just a nice alternative to jumpscare horror so that takes the win for me.

Ugh. Well Hellraiser 1 and 2 are good, right?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Thats's true. I admittedly have a bias against the fake blood used in Hammer productions

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Basebf555 posted:

Scream was like my generations own version of that.
Possibly to add to that, Scream seemed like it tried to be true to what teenagers/GenXers and the youth culture of the time was like. So watching Scream, or Final Destination, or The Faculty, reflected an idea of your peer group.
(well, not totally. The lack of melanin in the films is expected, but it was "teenager" enough to be appealing).

The later Freddy/Jason films tended to go really wide with their representation of kids. Here's the burnout potsmoker. Here's the boppy 80s pop jazzercise girl with neon legwarmers, crimped hair and a cutoff top. Here's jockguy.

I think that leaves an impression.

___

I'll add one thing to the Alien/Exorcist discussion. I was talking to a guidance counselor in middle school once and the topic of horror films came up. She mentioned that she didn't really watch the films of the era because they were too out there or too gory.

But The Exorcist? The Exorcist loving terrified her and her family. She was a semi-devout Catholic, and she mentioned that the film portrayed something that she was brought up to believe could happen. The film captured something about that previously abstract idea and made it tangibly horrifying for her.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Unfortunately The Shining wasn't included because a psychic pre-teen is the only thing that can deny Jason's supremacy.