Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Mission: Impossible Fallout.

I think that was the only theater experience I had in 2019.

I didn’t really take to it.

:smith:

At least I get to watch a lot of good movies at home

:unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.
I had to go see Bloodshot for a podcast I'm doing, and I really *really* want theaters to come back so that's not the last movie I ever see in one.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
1917—and after catching up on everything released so far this year—I'm glad it was that.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Segue posted:

Portrait of a Lady on Fire and honestly probably the best way to go out watching a live action Vermeer. Plus the last scene will stick with me forever (which may be short in these endtimes but hey.)

Same. If theaters never open again, who cares - I already saw the best movie.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

The last film I saw in theaters was.... a midnight showing of Raging Bull at the New Beverly - the theater owned by Tarantino. No no - wait. That's wrong. The actual last film I saw was Sunset Boulevard, the 1950 noir masterpiece by Billy Wilder at *The Egyptian Theater* which is a Hollywood landmark for sure, and the first time I'd been there. It was hilarious - the titular Sunset Boulevard (the street) was 2 blocks away and where I had actually parked my car. I get a kick out of silly things like that, I must admit.

Both films were utterly magnificent to see on thew big screen though. Much as I hate to admit it, the experience of watching a film in a REAL theater on REAL film is still unlike anything else. With a film like Raging Bull, which I had probably seen at least half a dozen times (all the way through, paying rapt attention) over the last 15 years, I went into it expecting the experience of the film to change, but I didn't think it would really be THAT different from watching it at home on like ~48-inch TV screen or something.

Holy poo poo was I ever wrong about that. I truly felt like I was watching a different film at times! And certain scenes I had seen over and over, well, watching it on a big screen I find myself noticing ALL KINDS of intricate details and little things that were visually so small when viewed on a TV, but when viewed on a proper theater screen, it's like every little object in the frame, every twitch of a muscle, all the details are just blown up huge, and it can be truly illuminating.

I really, really hope that movie theaters don't stay closed for too long. I have a huge list of classic films I very badly want to see... Lawrence of Arabia is #1 on that last... the March film of the month (Exorcist III) is my fave horror film probably and I'd *kill* to see that in a theater someday, too :xd:

I heard they might be like, selling tickets only to 1/2 of their maximum occupancy in some theaters, so everyone can be spaced out by at least one seat. That sounds cool to me, but I don't know that it really fixes or solves the intrinsic problem of recirculated air in a movie theater.

I don't know about you guys, but I always think of the scene in Outbreak in the movie theater, with the sick guy coughing and then we follow his aerosolized airborne droplets with the virus flying around the theater before floating in a laughing woman's wide-open mouth. Honestly, I *never* forgot that scene, and that shot especially. I couldn't say why, but it etched itself onto the inside of my skull. Not that I'm OCD or normally afraid of such things, it was just.... very memorable. Having more space between people might help with something like that but I do not think it'd stop it.

On the other hand, we should all be pretty relieved that Covid-19 doesn't eat our kidneys and give us pus-seeping lesions on our skin...

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
sonic, it was sonic the god drat hedgehog.

to be fair i saw everything else and that was the only option left..but still. a very stoned, alone, pity watch of sonic at 11pm on a monday is a dumb last hurrah.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Segue posted:

Portrait of a Lady on Fire and honestly probably the best way to go out watching a live action Vermeer. Plus the last scene will stick with me forever (which may be short in these endtimes but hey.)

Going out on top ain't a bad thing.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

zer0spunk posted:

sonic, it was sonic the god drat hedgehog.

to be fair i saw everything else and that was the only option left..but still. a very stoned, alone, pity watch of sonic at 11pm on a monday is a dumb last hurrah.

:same:

The last thing I got to see before the world ended was Sonic flossing.

That feels about right.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
BLACK CHRISTMAS (2019) for me (I hate going to the movies but I love watching movies). I really liked it! It was definitely weirder than the original and it won't work for everyone, but I really enjoyed my time and I could see it becoming a cult favorite in a few years.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
The Rise of Skywalker for me

I watched it with zero expectations (not hate going in, just took it for what it was) and all I have to say is it was a clear mess. Just a product of a trilogy that had no planning plus the studio ordering them to just wrap it up and come home to rethink the Star Wars strategy. It just pulled stuff out of its rear end and made things up as they went along and just ended it when it was time it seemed. I know I'm talking about stuff the YouTube clickbait film reviewer community drove into the ground in December but that is what I thought and left it like that. I'm not going to harp on about it like Twitter/Reddit have been doing.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn.

I really like movie theatres :(

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Knives Out next one was going to be the new James Bond.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

kaworu posted:

The actual last film I saw was Sunset Boulevard, the 1950 noir masterpiece by Billy Wilder at *The Egyptian Theater* which is a Hollywood landmark for sure, and the first time I'd been there.

It seems you may have won this thread.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Cats and then Birds of Prey. I have no regerts.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

McSpanky posted:

no regerts.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Same here, only movie I've seen in the theater in 2020 and it looks like it will be my last.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
JoJo Rabbit.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I saw a Japanese film called Closet, which is about a man who becomes a professional 'cuddler'. Realizing now that's another thing that might not be coming back anytime soon.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
i think infinty war

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020
Blade Runner 2049.

I’m satisfied with that.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Bloodshot. No regrets.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Birds of Prey (I loved it). I also had the chance to watch it in a new fancy movie theater that had opened near my neighborhood.

Kinda sad I won't be going to the movies until probably next year.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I haven't been to a cinema since before my son was born. He's now five, so my last cinema experience was... loving Lucy. Yeah, the one where Scarlett Johansson overdoses on brain drugs and develops psychic powers.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Payndz posted:

I haven't been to a cinema since before my son was born. He's now five, so my last cinema experience was... loving Lucy. Yeah, the one where Scarlett Johansson overdoses on brain drugs and develops psychic powers.

I saw that in a theater too. It was pretty dumb, but I enjoyed it.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Wild to think that in the time since Lucy came out an entire human being has been birthed into this world and is now five years old.

(Many have, I'm sure!)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I really wish this happened like 2-3 years ago so I could say the last movie I saw in theaters was Tickled or something.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I guess I have to rescind my statement, since I went to an actual drive-in theater last night. Sat in my car, just so I could be out somewhere at a movie. Saw How to Build a Girl.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

I wish I could say Cats, but it was The Rise of Skywalker.

I unironically think Cats was better.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Biff Rockgroin posted:

It absolutely was.

Our local drive-in is opening this weekend, so my latest watch might be The Goonies and Beetlejuice.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I risked my life to see Sonic the Hedgehog in early March, while Coronavirus cases were secretly spreading through my community. The theaters were closed two days later.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
99% sure it was The Rise of Skywalker on New Year's Eve, which I thought was fine as I was walking out of the theater but I slowly realized was poop the more I thought about it.

Partial credit goes to Onward, which I watched on Disney+ while it was technically still in theaters. It was alright.

justdan
Mar 31, 2010
Apocalypse Now Redux

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

smoobles posted:

I risked my life to see Sonic the Hedgehog in early March, while Coronavirus cases were secretly spreading through my community. The theaters were closed two days later.

I was out of stuff to watch and the only new release was Bloodshot.. Came close to going a few days before the theaters ended up shutting down. Imagine dying for Bloodshot.

Thinking back on it, I barely got to see anything in theaters in 2020 and they were all pretty mediocre.

Jan 1st- Feb 26th 2020:

A Hidden Life (the best by far but still eh for a malick film)
The Lodge
Sonic
Birds of Prey
Star Wars 9

RIP cinemas 2020, what a poo poo year.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

zer0spunk posted:

I was out of stuff to watch and the only new release was Bloodshot.. Came close to going a few days before the theaters ended up shutting down. Imagine dying for Bloodshot.

Thinking back on it, I barely got to see anything in theaters in 2020 and they were all pretty mediocre.

Jan 1st- Feb 26th 2020:

A Hidden Life (the best by far but still eh for a malick film)
The Lodge
Sonic
Birds of Prey
Star Wars 9

RIP cinemas 2020, what a poo poo year.
The only 2020 film I viddied in the old cinny was Emma. It was nice, lots of fancy outfits.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Biff Rockgroin posted:

I wish Cats was the last movie I saw in theaters, but if the last one I saw was TROS it might be time to end it all.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
the comic book movie event of 2019, Asterix: The Secret of the Magic Potion

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
After work one day I did a triple bill - Dark Water, The Invisible Man, and Downhill. The first two were good, but the latter was so bad I literally walked out and went home, which I never do.

And that was my last cinema-going experience before we closed.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

After work one day I did a triple bill - Dark Water, The Invisible Man, and Downhill. The first two were good, but the latter was so bad I literally walked out and went home, which I never do.

And that was my last cinema-going experience before we closed.

You made the right choice, Downhill was an extremely watered down Americanized remake of Force Majeure and the only good parts were the scenes taken directly from it (that the original handled better).

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I wish Cats was the last movie I saw in theaters, but if the last one I saw was TROS it might be time to end it all.

This would be embossed on your gravestone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What a stupid loving movie.