Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The FREAKING NY19!

Thanks to the tremendous amount of feedback The NY64 Executive Committee received on what to include in this tournament the NY19 is here for March Madness!

Your entrants:

(1) The Saudi Plane Incident: After Crown Jewel the majority of talent on the show was stuck in Saudi Arabia. WWE claims it was a mechanical failure and tried really hard to get talent to go along with this story, but many talent sent out messages on social media expressing worry about the situation. Was WWE involved in a weird power play over withheld money and the Saudi airing of the show?

(2) The Women's TLC match from TLC: During this match Kairi Sane was clearly injured, suffering from at least a concussion in the eyes of everyone watching. Yet the match continued. The referee didn't stop it, Charlotte Flair continued working with an obviously injured Kairi, and no one from the back tried to stop the match either. Basic WWE concussion protocols were completely ignored in a match that was dangerous without a concussed wrestler.

(3) Saudi Propaganda: After a certain journalist was murdered and dismembered WWE tried to pretend their Saudi shows came from some places unknown. Before Crown Jewel 19 they got comfortable saying they were coming from Saudi Arabia again, and that the progressive kingdom of Saudi Arabia was allowing advances in human rights! First and foremost they crowed about the first women's match in Saudi history and what a milestone it was, as further human rights crackdowns happened in the country.

(4) Lashley/Rusev: The crown jewel of WWE cucking angles, this feud lasted for months and people sure seemed to hate it! Beyond the WWE cucking fetish this also seemed to play on racial stereotypes as well.

(5) ACH Shirt: When NXT launched on USA a bunch of shirts were released, including an obviously blackface inspired shirt for Jordan Myles/ACH. The shirt was quickly pulled, but after a few weeks ACH grew angry about the incident and began lashing out at WWE. WWE (including HHH) tried to pass the buck back on ACH, making it seem like he had approved the shirt, when further evidence made it obvious that the racist design had not been his idea, and that HHH himself had approved of it. (I accidentally had this also listed as a 3 seed but bracketed it as a 5)

(6) Not Granting Releases: Several WWE talent requested releases from their contract only to be denied for months despite not being used, or threatened with burials. These releases were eventually granted, although it is rumored Sin Cara had the goods on the company.

(7) Underpaying Talent after TV Deals: WWE signed record TV deals, but wrestlers have seen very little of this money. Some contracts have been renegotiated, but revenue share in WWE is believed to be 8% to talent, and this comes after WWE has signed dozens of wrestlers to sit in NXT.

(8) Lars Sullivan: WWE ignored that Lars Sullivan had posted numerous racist, sexist and otherwise terrible things on the Bodybuilding Forums. He was planned to get a big Wrestlemania push. The company was well aware of the posts. When outrage grew, they fined him $100,000, and it is unclear where this money is going, is WWE just pocketing it?

(9) Mike/Maria Cuckolding Storyline: After re-signing with WWE, Mike and Maria were put in a cuckolding storyline where it was said their real life baby was not Mike's child. Corey Graves would call Mike a "beta cuck" on commentary and his character was humiliated for weeks. Soon after Mike would request his release, which was not granted.

(10) Homophobic Revival Burial: After the Revival made it clear they would not re-sign, WWE all but threatened them with a burial on Raw if they didn't re-sign. This burial included the following: https://twitter.com/WWE/status/1123026333779390465 and subsequent jokes.

(11) Lana/Liv: Part of the Rusev/Lashley storyline, during the wedding it was revealed that Lana and Liv were lesbian lovers. Or something? WWE decided to do this with two straight women after numerous LGBT wrestlers have hoped to be given a positive storyline dating back to Kanyon.

(12) Euro Fuckery: WWE turned the screws further on the European indies last year, pulling contracted talent at will and demanding talent not lose, meanwhile ending the year with HHH's interview on After the Bell:

quote:

“People misunderstood what we were trying to accomplish over in the UK because of small thinking or short sightedness. Yes, some of these indies are going to go away. The ones that are going to go away are the ones who are paying you $25 bucks when they promised you $75 bucks. The ones that have a ring that didn’t hold up. The ones that didn’t have medical there. The ones that didn’t care about you, they were just booking you because they were hoping to sell some tickets and you had a little bit of buzz. So they were hoping to sell some tickets and they could care less what you do, when you do it.

We wanted to work with the ones who were cultivating talent. The ones that were encouraging them to become better, working with them on promos or giving them guidance, right or wrong on their matches. That had equipment that was functioning. That had medical care if you were injured that at least didn’t have you waiting 45 minutes for an ambulance or trying to figure out if they were going to call you an Uber.”

(13) False Advertising: WWE false advertises all the time but upped the ante for their FOX debut, advertising Undertaker, Austin, Sting and others without delivering them. Undertaker was told days before the show he would not be needed so this was not a case of a last minute time crunch, they just decided to false advertise.

(14) Tyson Fury: Fury has a history of being a bigot and WWE laid into this for ratings, hyping up that Fury would be given a live mic (who knows what slurs he might say!)

(15) Paying Moxley $500 for his Farewell: $500 is the minimum WWE will pay you for an appearance. WWE heavily hyped up the Shield Finale as a major Network event, and then paid Moxley $500 for that final match, the same a jobber would make. Meanwhile they begged him to go on the European tour because they needed stars.

PLAY IN FOR #16:

Hell in a Cell: I hear this was a terrible show and an insult to those who paid money to watch it.

The Fiend! Red lights! A DQ finish on PPV!

Squashing Kofi: Kofi was beaten in seconds and made to look like a joke by Brock. People seemed upset!

Graves/Mauro: Corey Graves bullied Mauro, and maybe some within the company were in favor of it? Mauro was forced to take time off from the company as a result, which is not the first time he has been bullied.

White Nationalist Dijak: Dominik Dijakovic was very briefly given an obvious white nationalist gimmick where he tweeted "This continent has everything backwards. This is a diseased environment that breeds impurity. The streets are almost as filthy as the inhabitants. I would know, I’ve lived the majority of my life here. I owe it to myself and my family to Purify this wasteland." and cut a promo that seems edited but has suspicious undertones nonetheless. They also released t-shirts with imagery used by white nationalist groups.

Follow along and vote on Twitter!

https://twitter.com/NY64Tournament/status/1242512181939355650

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Reminder that Sonya Deville spent years lobbying for a positive LGBTQ storyline with actual representation, only for WWE to do trashy PG-rated HLA with two straight women.

If that angle wasn't immediately dropped it would deserve a much higher seed.

Benne fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 24, 2020

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Liv said she's not allowed to repeat how Sonya felt about it in a PG environment

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

You're missing no-selling COVID-19

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Dell_Zincht posted:

You're missing no-selling COVID-19

That happened in 2020 and will be eligible for the 2020 edition of the NY19, I assume

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Chris James 2 posted:

That happened in 2020 and will be eligible for the 2020 edition of the NY19, I assume

Ha, seems I can't read, sorry!

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Chris James 2 posted:

Isn't that just the NY20 :smug:

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Looking forward to the all-Saudi finals

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
The Corey/Mauro is my choice for 16.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Graves/Mauro for #16 for sure.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i think wwe's part in graves bullying mauro is slightly less bad than White Nationalist Dijak being "explored". even thinking of doing that gimmick in modern times is extremely sickening and they actually tested the drat waters. but if i didn't think graves did it on his own and then got backed up for it, it should be higher than #16. like the kanellis poo poo doesn't register for me. Who cares

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/NY64Tournament/status/1242602826926297093

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Every single time I think about how WWE threw Kofi and his reign in the trash I think of one of my favorite panels from one of my favorite comics, which I have crudely edited here.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Mauro/Graves for me as while Dijak is bad Mauro/Graves is the kinda of lovely that is really WWE

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
I voted for Dijak because those scraps of gimmick specifically piss me off and I never thought of the Mauro/Graves incident as a WWE promotional tactic, but I'm not going to complain if Mauro/Graves wins.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm honestly not sure Dijak was ever going to be made a blatant Nazi on-screen, and even if he was, it was shut down quick. So I went to JBL/Mauro. Doesn't really matter, though, since none of those four will beat the Saudi plane incident.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Went with squashing Kofi because I'm still pissed about that, and I quit watching WWE since.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I think the Mauro stuff is worse than the others but I don't consider it a 'promotional tactic' so I voted for the weird Dijokovic thing.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

yeah, employees being shitheads isnt promotional so by letter of the law i voted for the nazi gimmick. but as others have said, none of this matters because we're headed to a saudi vs saudi super showdown in the finals

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Seams posted:

I think the Mauro stuff is worse than the others but I don't consider it a 'promotional tactic' so I voted for the weird Dijokovic thing.

If you believe Graves (lol) he did it to further the NXT vs Main Roster storyline.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
I didn't vote for the Dijakovic thing because it was such a blip on the radar. Corey to my knowledge faced zero consequences for the Mauro thing, so I feel fine voting for him.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

the Dijak thing was a completely unforced error. When your head of developing talent has a fetish for white nationalist adjacent imagery its pretty easy to let almost verbatim white nationalist rhetoric slip through. Which is a shame because Dijak's always come off as a real thoughtful fellow.

Kofi getting squashed for Brock is kinda eh. That's a thing that WWE does. They discard people who aren't "main event level" with a fierceness.

I only saw a video clip of the Hell In The Cell thing and its more just WWE doing doing WWE things. They don't care if you're one of the few people that still exchange cash for PPVs, its just another show to them.

gently caress Coery Graves. Mauro's kind of an obnoxious twerp tho.

I went with Dijak.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Mauro would be the best commentator in the company if he just didn't make so many forced pop culture references

He wasn't that bad on Smackdown, was he

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Jesus, this list.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 46 hours!)

What's the "Dijak Nazi" stuff? I don't remember that

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
My favorite part of these tournaments is all the Vincels coming at the Twitter account like clockwork

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Peanut President posted:

https://twitter.com/NY64Tournament/status/1242604362834358275
https://twitter.com/NY64Tournament/status/1242604364767911939

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Peanut President posted:

It's in the OP.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 46 hours!)

Ah thought there was more than that. Weird that they thought it was a good idea and that he didn't refuse.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Peanut President posted:

Ah thought there was more than that. Weird that they thought it was a good idea and that he didn't refuse.

I know Djak kept tweeting semi in-character stuff that felt like them feeling out just how vaguely fascist they could make him after the main "holy poo poo this feels fashy" stuff, but I don't actually remember how often they did it. I'm honestly just glad he's stabilized as Keith Lee's slightly worse but still amazing friend so I can stop being reminded of it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/NY64Tournament/status/1242987775638540289

Also Corey bullying Mauro moves on with 41%!

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 26, 2020

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Kanellis wasn't even the second-worst cuck angle of the year. Lars all the way.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah Lars wins easily for me

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I was late but I would have voted for Dijak. Its an institutional idea, an individual one with Dijak being on board with it, and it pissed me off the way people seemed to brush it off because the guy seemed to be well liked. But it probably wasn't gonna go deep for the same reason it didn't win in so it is what it is.

Lars easy.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i feel like lars as a promotional tactic doesn't make any sense but both of these are so weak that i voted lars anyway

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Lars did that poo poo to himself. WWE stealing money from him is kinda funny.

Mike dared speak out publicly against the company and they did that to him and his wife. I hope they soaked Vince for retirement money.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
If WWE had promoted Lars as Racist Wrestler Lars Sullivan I'd vote for it, but instead I'm voting for the Kanellis thing.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The Lars thing in a canter because WWE somehow managed the double whammy of hiring a known bigot, pushing him while it was known he was a bigot, and then somehow managing to treat him unfairly by fining him for the bigoted stuff they were ostensibly cool with until it became a scandal

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Stealing money from racists is always good tho. And when racists rip each other off, well that's just the invisible hand of the market at work, folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

wage theft is always bad. like i don’t give a single poo poo that it’s unfair to him specifically, but it’s still super hosed up to fine someone for something they did years before you employed contracted them, which you also knew about at the time you hired them, specifically and solely for the purposes of PR