Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

jesus WEP posted:

wage theft is always bad. like i don’t give a single poo poo that it’s unfair to him specifically, but it’s still super hosed up to fine someone for something they did years before you employed contracted them, which you also knew about at the time you hired them, specifically and solely for the purposes of PR

that's another can of worms. WWE's worklife policies are hellish. Their Wellness Policy unfairly targets contractors who are already paying out of pocket for their own healthcare. They'll harass you for taking naps but expect you to drive 8 hours nonstop after wrestling that night. And if you so much as show a semblance of a personal life that someone doesn't like, welp there went your Mania payday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think I feel bad that Lars got fined. I do feel bad that WWE just thought a fine that they ostensibly pocketed as an appropriate response to pushing a Nazi (and seemingly intentionally pushing him over people of color, although its become apparent to me over time that that was probably less specific racism and just that WWE sees its people of color as jobbers in general).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lars being fined for bodybuilding forums posts is bad because they could easily fine someone on posts on fucktrump.invisionfree.com or whatever if enough people got mad about it, using the same logic. poo poo like that should be attacked always because it will be used as ammunition against anything that could be negative pr for the company, regardless of what the content actually is. he wasnt punished for being a racist, he was punished because wwe thought it might hurt their bottom line.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

While that might be theoretically true I'm still not personally bothered that the Nazi got in trouble for being a Nazi, even if they didn't actually care he was a Nazi. The fact that they didn't care he was a Nazi is why I voted for it.

Arguing that we should be angry about the fine feels like we're basically arguing that we should defend Lars' right to post racist poo poo online without any punishment? Maybe I'm misunderstanding that argument?

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 26, 2020

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

While that might be theoretically true I'm still not personally bothered that the Nazi got in trouble for being a Nazi, even if they didn't actually care he was a Nazi. The fact that they didn't care he was a Nazi is why I voted for it.

Arguing that we should be angry about the fine feels like we're basically arguing that we should defend Lars' right to post racist poo poo online without any punishment? Maybe I'm misunderstanding that argument?
There’s a bunch of appropriate ways of dealing with a staff member who has a history of racist and otherwise bigoted views, and none of them involve helping yourself to their money

Down Right Fierce
Jan 30, 2011
They don’t actually fine people.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh, agreed on that, but the issue there isn't the fine itself, but the intent and utilization of it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/NY64Tournament/status/1243234774224908291

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Paying Mox peanuts was a dick move and sums up what a petty, petulant institution WWE is. But it didn’t needlessly put the health of an employee at risk.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

If we're talking strictly promotional tactics and the company itself doing purposely lovely things, I'm going with Mox. The way Kairi was treated between her injury and the end of the match by just about everyone but Becky and Asuka was an institutional failure, but not something the company would do on purpose.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I think "promotional tactic" means a tactic used by the promotion and not an advertising tactic.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Which is my point. The promotion purposely paid Mox peanuts but accidentally (or ineptly, if we're being less generous) failed to protect Kairi.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Dr. rear end posted:

Which is my point. The promotion purposely paid Mox peanuts but accidentally (or ineptly, if we're being less generous) failed to protect Kairi.

had Charlotte been trained better she would have recognized her fellow worker was suffering and adjusted accordingly. Its absolutely an institutional failure.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
WWE promotes itself as "the safe company" which we all know was bullshit anyway, but that TLC match openly exposed it as a farce in ways we rarely see on television.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
No the white blond woman is safe from punishment for brutalizing an injured coworker

Edit: had to fix some wonky Grammer. im having a stronk

Malcolm Excellent fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 26, 2020

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Malcolm Excellent posted:

No the white blond woman is safe from punishment for brutalizing an injured coworker

Edit: had to fix some wonky Grammer. im having a stronk

an injured coworker who isn’t white; of course Vince and Trips can’t bring themselves to give a poo poo.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I've honestly just been voting for which I think is worse

First that meant Graves/Mauro (because bullying a man with an admitted history of suicidal ideation is scummier/feels worse to me than a bad booking decision or a planned racist gimmick), then Lars (because being actually vehemently racist is scummier/feels worse to me than a bad booking cuck angle)

Here I picked Moxley, because stiffing one of your best talents out of spite on his way out (which, it was only his way out Because they mistreated him to the point he had depression and thought it was a saner and healthier choice to leave than to stay) is scummier to me than a person being careless in-ring; not to say the carelessness isn't hosed, it just feels like Being Careless to who you're working with is a kind of hosed we've seen an unfortunately fair share of in the business, to the point New Jack's Vice documentary talking about a notable instance of that is next week

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/NY64Tournament/status/1243365987136598018?s=19

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The Lashley angle had all sorts of racist undertones that even the harshest critics didn't seem too comfortable talking about (emasculated man watches his white woman get stolen away by a virile black man), and while Rusev isn't white, the general framework is all right there in the text.

It's not the first time a WWE storyline felt like Vince projecting his various fetishes, but it was certainly the most explicit one in recent memory.

Benne fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 27, 2020

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
The Lashley/Rusev thing was a really bad story. But the false advertising is openly treating their customers with contempt. "We got your money, gently caress you!"

WWE's got bad stories with bad storytelling for days, but not giving the people who keep you in business what they paid for is loving awful.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

For all that is/was wrong with the Rusev/Lashley/Lana/Liv cuck angle, (it dragged on too long, it is Vince putting his fetish on the public stage, the racist undertones, the homophobia etc.), one of the things that doesn't get addressed is how it never really ended. I mean, there was never a blow off to the feud with a definite winner. Lashley kinda beat up Rusev a lot, then there was the wedding, the *gasp* lesbian angle, then Liv is teaming with Rusev for some reason, then ... it all goes away. Liv is feuding with the Riott Squad, (and I think no longer gay?), Rusev, Lashley and Lana ore off TV and the world moves on. Let's assume you were into the angle, you never got to see it have a satisfying conclusion.

Also it was wasting one of their most charismatic, fun, and talented wrestlers in Rusev. But that is par for the course with modern WWE.

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

I don't watch the world wrestling federation so I haven't seen the racist cuckolding angle but I did waste two hours of my life on that smackdown because I was promised stone cold so I voted for the one that personally affected me.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Advertising people are gonna be at house shows and then switching up the lineup is some poo poo I'd expect from Ian Rotten. WWE's contempt for their fanbase and how their diehards will always show up for more is absolutely fascinating.

the cuck stuff isn't even real cucking, its just bad black panic drama with a dash of homophobia.

I went with false advertising because the cuck stuff is indicative of larger more structural problems in WWE.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/NY64Tournament/status/1243603504075288576

Women's TLC advanced with 74%!

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
There really isn't anything that can top literally doing propaganda shows for a country that's literally committing genocide.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Cerebral Bore posted:

There really isn't anything that can top literally doing propaganda shows for a country that's literally committing genocide.

but they also do shows in saudi arabia

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't feel as strongly about the cucking angle as some, I assume because I just didn't watch much of it. But yeah, there was kind of obviously subtle racism in some of the stuff I saw and that whole Liv thing seemed scummy and homophobic. So I'll go with that. Besides, Undertaker and Austin are scumbags so I kind of feel like anyone who got disappointed by them being falsely advertised makes me chuckle. Not the most charitable moment for me, but it is what it is.

And yeah, the Saudi thing is probably a no brainer even if it grosses me out they brought in a guy with that kind of history. But like... I already voted for Lars so "WWE brings in a bigot" starts to feel less exceptional after awhile. Which is a big problem in and of itself but that;s for another entry.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

coconono posted:

The propaganda is worse. The shows are really bad but they just exist as a vessel for the propaganda anyway.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Tyson Fury is no worse than any other professional fighter

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

coconono posted:

Tyson Fury is no worse than any other professional fighter

I'm not sure this is conveying the message you mean it to.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

STAC Goat posted:

I'm not sure this is conveying the message you mean it to.

no I know exactly what I said.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

Yes this, though WWE is trying to come real close with its Mania plans this year lamo

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Tyson Fury is terrible but tbh he probably wouldn't have the top 3 most repulsive views among WWE wrestlers so it's hard to vote for versus the whole murderous regime propaganda thing

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

imagine thinking professional fighters are good and honorable people. pfft lol.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

coconono posted:

lmao

I do hope the WWE gets what's coming to them in Vince's lifetime

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

coconono posted:

imagine thinking professional fighters are good and honorable people. pfft lol.

GSP and DC seem fine, at least

(Please don't tell me GSP has turned out to be a fascist. Even if he has, I don't want to know)

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES
Sadly he did, he even tried to kill Captain America.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

flashy_mcflash posted:

GSP and DC seem fine, at least

(Please don't tell me GSP has turned out to be a fascist. Even if he has, I don't want to know)

DC might be. GSP is just kind of zany.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/NY64Tournament/status/1243729198260387840

Lashley/Rusev advanced with 65%.

There likely won't be any polls tomorrow.