Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Raged posted:

Game is dead. Hit sub 1k players.

"no way"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
That's a shame. It did a lot of things really well, but ultimately I stopped playing because it was a crapshoot whether I would have a good time or run in circles for four hours.

You want to farm for advanced iron stuff? Sorry, if there are no meteor spawns when you're playing you can go pound sand. And if there are, you better hope you've got enough clan mates on to not get instantly rolled.

Want to hunt a worm? Same exact thing.

Want to do some big group pvp? You COULD have an incredible swashbuckling wooden mech piracy experience, or you could spend hours trying to maneuver around the clans involved exploiting the population cap to tilt the actual fight into irrelevance.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I'm not sure why games like hate letting players have a good time.

I never hear this kind of thing from similar games like Rust. Why might that be? I understand that the genres aren't 1:1 but I think there is something worthy to the discussion.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Raged posted:

Game is dead. Hit sub 1k players.

Star Wars Galaxies Legends (the NGE version emulator) has more players online

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
last logins

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Glenn Quebec posted:

I'm not sure why games like hate letting players have a good time.

I never hear this kind of thing from similar games like Rust. Why might that be? I understand that the genres aren't 1:1 but I think there is something worthy to the discussion.

Dumb words ahead, feel free to just post lol or mock me cause I'm dumb

Games like rust go "You're hosting a server, gently caress it those are the rules" and so you generally get specific communities building up. There is no balance or pop caps because generally you know the people loving around and the scale/permenance is small because any server can just wipe. In essence the game is naturally controlled by humans moderating the server, for good or for ill.

Any game that tries to have proper, full on MMO esque persistance needs to have some balancing factor, so the biggest group (say 500 dudes) don't always win because they always fight 500 -1 and then snowball by camping all the good stuff, which means they win more.. The problem is that building any game system to control this is hard.

Albion online went and made the important PVP stuff a fixed match size, and that basically meant you would funnel to a "Dream team" and was boring.

Last oasiss tried to use individual map counts and rarity of spawns, but those are and have een just gamed into oblivion (Log in x hours before vuln, camp the map, no one else can log in).

And because these systems are well, rules rather than people, they are less adaptive.

Crowfall (if it ever releases lol) tries to combat this by sort of mixing the two, all your resources are temporary but your character is persistant, so you winning for 10 months dosent mean you have an advantage going on. But if it ever releases properly (lol) it might not work either!

nakieon
Aug 28, 2020

Anybody still playing this? They just came out with big update confirming seasonal wipes (seems to be a 3-6 month duration type deal), with the first wipe dropping the same day their Commerce update comes out. This would be sometime in October.

I really like this game and I think if they can solve the player retention issues this could be great.

DrCaptainSir
Jan 29, 2008
Spartacus

nakieon posted:

Anybody still playing this? They just came out with big update confirming seasonal wipes (seems to be a 3-6 month duration type deal), with the first wipe dropping the same day their Commerce update comes out. This would be sometime in October.

I really like this game and I think if they can solve the player retention issues this could be great.

Honestly they need to make the burning a month and have it do two rows or whatever. The burning I feel is what really killed it for everyone. And now they are just doing more bad things to the game. I think if they ever made the private server stuff more...usable I'd probably host a server for people to gently caress around on. But yeah, their server hosting is a complete joke and really limited.

nakieon
Aug 28, 2020

DrCaptainSir posted:

Honestly they need to make the burning a month and have it do two rows or whatever. The burning I feel is what really killed it for everyone. And now they are just doing more bad things to the game. I think if they ever made the private server stuff more...usable I'd probably host a server for people to gently caress around on. But yeah, their server hosting is a complete joke and really limited.

Yeah, I think the biggest population drop was like a few weeks after the burn. Hell, the burn is why I stopped even owning personal ships myself and just become a guy who would respond to pvp pings and spawn on other peoples ships. Just too much busywork just to farm water and move west to east constantly. I feel the glory days of LO were before the burn, it just felt like everybody was playing and fighting over land. It was honestly great.

Aye, plus their private server infra seems almost like a cash grab because you need a separate server per tile or something like that. So private servers are usually just one single tile and that isn't really indicative of official server gameplay.

DrCaptainSir
Jan 29, 2008
Spartacus

nakieon posted:

Yeah, I think the biggest population drop was like a few weeks after the burn. Hell, the burn is why I stopped even owning personal ships myself and just become a guy who would respond to pvp pings and spawn on other peoples ships. Just too much busywork just to farm water and move west to east constantly. I feel the glory days of LO were before the burn, it just felt like everybody was playing and fighting over land. It was honestly great.

Aye, plus their private server infra seems almost like a cash grab because you need a separate server per tile or something like that. So private servers are usually just one single tile and that isn't really indicative of official server gameplay.

Yeah, I hosted a private server for rupucams for a while to give us a place to test things out and all that jazz. But I could only set harvest amount and a few more trivial settings. There were no RCON commands or anything because even though Nitrado was hosting the actual server, DonkeyCrew were in charge of the server configs. It was rear end to deal with. You could even change tiles but to only get one tile per server was stupid and you couldn't even link tiles either

I chatted with Nitrado on the phone a few times even and I truly felt bad for the guys because they had several people calling and bitching at them about stuff that they couldn't do anything about because of the agreements they had with donkey crew. ugh.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
The burn sounded good in theory and if it was on a longer timer, like 30-60 days it'd probably be ok, but right now it blows and it's the most common reason I see for people quitting. They had this funny screenshot of the week thing or something shortly after they implemented the burn, and it was often these massive structures that would take a ton of effort to build and will never actually happen now because by the time you'd built it the burn would destroy it in a couple days and splitting it up into parts and packing it and reassembling would be impractical and take tons of walkers and time, so no one ever bothers.

The player falloff sucks because drat this was fun goofing around with goons during the beginning.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
If the burn was there from the beginning they probably would have been fine. I think the huge abrupt meta shift and rendering of so much people's work pointless was what did it, not the mechanic iteself.

DrCaptainSir
Jan 29, 2008
Spartacus

Arven posted:

If the burn was there from the beginning they probably would have been fine. I think the huge abrupt meta shift and rendering of so much people's work pointless was what did it, not the mechanic iteself.

I agree. I actually am really hoping they make private servers viable because I think playing this with a bunch of goons could still be fun.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
If you're not PvPing with strangers doesn't that kind of eliminate the point of the game? Legit question

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I think with he burn the way it is, they need more walkers similar to the cobra.

Where your "base" is something you park and out in lockdown mode then move on or love around the map every few days till you need to pick up and move.

Say a walker that became harder when in deployed mode so it was a relatively secure bank/crafting base

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Not having massive permanent bases is one of the defining mechanics of this game. They told people from the beginning this is how it was and that the burn was going to be a thing.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
It was ok when I wasn't working during the lockdown, but once hours picked up I spent more than half my available play time just moving walkers due to the burn. I'd rather be doing other stuff in the game. I don't mind if it takes effort to move my entire fleet, but zero-to-hero gets tedious as the only option to meet up with friends and prevents you from trying out larger builds. If they don't want to extend the timers, maybe they could offer a perk that eliminates the sand and water costs for one walker per week for a limited duration, or something that would allow for quickly hoping back into the game now and then while still allowing for a little progression.

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

Yeah, I was a weekend warrior and all I did each weekend after the burn started was spend my entire time moving my boats to the new hex. My advancement stopped almost entirely unless I just spent time farming in whatever hex it happened to put me in, and then I might as well have been playing solo. Wasn't really fun anymore. And I'm not even one of the giant base builders! I just wanted to advance my tech and hang out gathering stuff or fighting when it happened, but after the burn I was always so far away that all I could do was contribute a body to someone else's boat. And with the server cap meta going on, usually that just meant sitting in a queue for hours while watching a movie. They need to either bump up the burn times or make it so you can just teleport one of your boats to a clan controlled hex. Heck, put a cap on what the largest ship you can teleport is if they are worried about exploitation. Fix the burn time issue and the server cap thing (I have no ideas for that one) and I'd be back in a heartbeat. Game was super fun for a good while.

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

I really miss playing this game with goons. Thinking about jumping back in when the wipe and patch happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIXj_7Frmw8

these were good fuckin times

Turkina_Prime fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 4, 2020

RooNe737
Sep 8, 2020
Is this game still a thing? and are people still playing. i remember seeing my brother play it?

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Yeah this game rules. Kind of a contrarian take but I love the burning and emphasis on nomadic gameplay, especially as a leveling factor causing diminishing returns to playing too much and hoarding too much. Endless respect for a game that respects my time.

My biggest gripe was that when the pop started dropping off, they didn't burn servers fast enough and as a result everything got super empty in like a week. The whole point of the burn was to act as a pressure release valve for player density, so the game would feel the same no matter how many people were playing.

Anyway I'll probably give this another go during the October update but only hop on a couple times a week. Easy to get burned out but this is still the best mmo out there imo.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

S w a y z e posted:

Yeah this game rules. Kind of a contrarian take but I love the burning and emphasis on nomadic gameplay, especially as a leveling factor causing diminishing returns to playing too much and hoarding too much. Endless respect for a game that respects my time.

My biggest gripe was that when the pop started dropping off, they didn't burn servers fast enough and as a result everything got super empty in like a week. The whole point of the burn was to act as a pressure release valve for player density, so the game would feel the same no matter how many people were playing.

Anyway I'll probably give this another go during the October update but only hop on a couple times a week. Easy to get burned out but this is still the best mmo out there imo.

It's a cool and fun game that does not lend itself well to mega-corp style groups with a big stockpile. Unfortunately you can still hoard things its just a pain in the rear end so of course everyone still did it and then got mad that they had ruined their own fun. I think there is a sweet spot where if every clan playing was just around 15-20 guys online the game would kick rear end but I don't think there is a way to force that gameplay in a persistent mmo.

Huckert
Aug 1, 2007

For the love of the game
On the one hand, tiles burn and you gotta pack light, keep moving. On the other hand you have time and resource-demanding tasks like territory defense, stationary resource gatherers, not to mention the quality system. The game has an identity crisis and tries to cater to different types of players without hitting the sweet spot.

That being said I think it was fun as hell when I played and I will be keeping an eye on this commerce update and the upcoming reset.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...

BurtLington posted:

I really miss playing this game with goons
I miss hearing Gilbert Gottfried's "F. O. E. ARE DOGSHIT CRYBABIES"

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

S w a y z e posted:

The best times were us rolling around on a single dinghy and trying to wreak as much havoc as we could - no gear, no fear.

That and rolling with about 10 lovely fireflies with repeaters etc on top and pretending to be x-wings.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Absolutely, the amount of fun stuff you can do in this game is beyond anything else right now. It's so many great game mechanics plugged into the same single world. Custom walkers, mount and blade style combat, voice chat, grappling hooks, turrets, deployable bases, goddamn wingsuits. It's honestly overwhelming.

The biggest conflict when I played with goons was me wanting to always be running around killing stuff on far-ranging patrols but feeling like I ought to be patrolling our hex, grinding, or contributing to the base. Like obviously that stuff is important from a teching up/gearing up perspective, not trying to diss anybody's playstyle, but that was the systemic mechanic that eventually burnt me out on the game.

Those patrols were so much goddamn fun. Extorting every pubby we came across, looting whatever we could find, running from zergs, acting on tips and stealing tablets from our hated nemesis in the middle of their "safe hex", finding enemy camps and leading our battle fleet straight to them, that was the best part of the game for me.

One of the best stories to come out of that was when we rolled up on a whole clan who had just circled their walkers around a temporary base. We outnumbered them about 8 to 6 and all hopped down to start fighting, then for whatever reason (I think we could sense they were new) we all just started yelling at them to be cool. Eventually they chilled out and agreed to send their best fighter to face ours - if they won, we would spare them. Hucklecat stepped up and, luckily for them, he was having an off night and they just barely managed to down him. We let them go and, it turns out, they remembered the encounter so fondly they actually came out to the hex next to ours and joined our alliance.

Then there was that other time where Burlington and I were grappled to some fleeing dudes and their walker dragged ours down into a crevasse. We collect ourselves and look up to see that they and another enemy walker are just pouring naked dudes over to our walker (still stuck in a tree) we hop down and fight them probably 4v2 for a good two minutes straight, with them respawning every time we took one of them down. Eventually they ran out of water and we were able to escape. There's a video of it somewhere. Still doesn't hold a candle to the time I bore witness to Forge going apeshit on 10 guys at once for a full minute and winning.

Anyway, guess I'm trying to say this game is absolutely the most fun mmo available right now and has something for pretty much anyone. If you're interested, absolutely give it a try the next time we goonrush it, or even just with a friend or two on your own. You will have a ton of memorable experiences.

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

S w a y z e posted:

Then there was that other time where Burlington and I were grappled to some fleeing dudes and their walker dragged ours down into a crevasse. We collect ourselves and look up to see that they and another enemy walker are just pouring naked dudes over to our walker (still stuck in a tree) we hop down and fight them probably 4v2 for a good two minutes straight, with them respawning every time we took one of them down. Eventually they ran out of water and we were able to escape. There's a video of it somewhere. Still doesn't hold a candle to the time I bore witness to Forge going apeshit on 10 guys at once for a full minute and winning.

Think this is the fight you were talking about? Great times

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Those were excellent times. I bet they can be had again. I think when we re-roll we should do so with different leadership too.

Luitpold
Aug 2, 2009
Talking of excrement ...

S w a y z e posted:

One of the best stories to come out of that was when we rolled up on a whole clan who had just circled their walkers around a temporary base. We outnumbered them about 8 to 6 and all hopped down to start fighting, then for whatever reason (I think we could sense they were new) we all just started yelling at them to be cool. Eventually they chilled out and agreed to send their best fighter to face ours - if they won, we would spare them. Hucklecat stepped up and, luckily for them, he was having an off night and they just barely managed to down him. We let them go and, it turns out, they remembered the encounter so fondly they actually came out to the hex next to ours and joined our alliance.
Oh I remember this, they had actually done the vertical wall like our twin tower base and made a sort of enclosure around a proxy. I think they had a couple Stilletos? We just walked right up to them in whatever we were using and you and a couple others jumped down, and then you asked for booty politely, and some how it came down to trial by combat with Hucklecat as our champion. When he lost we all jumped off the walker and kicked him to death. They were so amused by our gimmick that they gave us all their rupu jelly, and later on they helped us out in our time of need when that mega clan invaded.

Wandering with Swayzes Crazys and when you, Hucklecat, and I were doing carrier ops in Atlas, it all taught me that there really is a third echelon in these survival games, and that is the venerable Marauder. You actually have to go out and meet challenges in these games if you want to survive, I feel like most goons including myself struggle with the concept, but the results across multiple games with you guys is undeniable.

Ninogan
Apr 2, 2012

Was a fun game at launch but just like with so many other titles like it it feels like you can get a few weeks entertainment out of it before it's dead and done.

nakieon
Aug 28, 2020

Ninogan posted:

Was a fun game at launch but just like with so many other titles like it it feels like you can get a few weeks entertainment out of it before it's dead and done.

Ninogan, is that you from Mortal Online?

If so, I actually saw Smasher (from Envy in MO) and RevirTV (from TOP in MO - bonus kill pic after he talked trash) playing. I believe Smasher ended up insiding Revival or something (it was a red flag clan, I forget the name, it wasn't FoE though) and forming some yellow color clan called Coom, no idea if they are still around.

This game was still insanely fun even when the game hit 1k players peak but I have a bit of a different perpective since I was one of the main pvp leaders (specifically a pvp trainer, but I made callouts on the field here and there) for FC-GC which was a dark purple clan that merged together in south NA E a bit later in the game - like late May? FC being Full Control and GC being Good Company (which I came from). I think Liverupucams had already moved on by the time we formed FC-GC though. At least as a leader the game was fun in during it's death throes but I didn't feel the same way when FC-GC disbanded because of some drama with our main leader (Waters) who wanted to dissolve the leadership council which I and 7 others were part of and become a dictator. I ended up joining another white color clan in NA W called Aurora and was some lowly member and the game wasn't as fun anymore. Ended up quitting like mid-July and the game was dead by then.

I'm hoping the October wipe will bring a lot of players back, but I think that the game has been gamed enough that it's only gonna be good for actual fun for a few weeks to a month max. They need to fix some core problems because all the zergs (and FC-GC and the clan I joined was guilty of this too so I'm not discounting my part) started relying on tilecapping to win tiles - it was too easy to do it that way. In some cases, we would tilecap hours before vulnerability and just sit there to take a tile without any real risk. The game got really boring when that became the main strategy in the tile metagame. The game is so much more fun when a bunch of marauders on multiple dinghys and stilettos are just duking it out making plays on the field. If they can encourage that kind of play...

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

nakieon posted:

They need to fix some core problems because all the zergs (and FC-GC and the clan I joined was guilty of this too so I'm not discounting my part) started relying on tilecapping to win tiles - it was too easy to do it that way. In some cases, we would tilecap hours before vulnerability and just sit there to take a tile without any real risk. The game got really boring when that became the main strategy in the tile metagame. The game is so much more fun when a bunch of marauders on multiple dinghys and stilettos are just duking it out making plays on the field. If they can encourage that kind of play...

That's what killed it for the main goon guild. OwO learned they could just cap our tiles hours before the timer and there was nothing we could do about it. And when they did that, they also prevented anybody who had logged out on that tile from playing the game as you could only death warp to a free tile after first logging into the capped tile, which you couldn't do because it was capped and you were stuck in queue. That should have been their #1 priority to fix. If you constantly have people unable to even play the game because they have to sit through a queue first, they will find something else to play.

nakieon
Aug 28, 2020

Nalin posted:

That's what killed it for the main goon guild. OwO learned they could just cap our tiles hours before the timer and there was nothing we could do about it. And when they did that, they also prevented anybody who had logged out on that tile from playing the game as you could only death warp to a free tile after first logging into the capped tile, which you couldn't do because it was capped and you were stuck in queue. That should have been their #1 priority to fix. If you constantly have people unable to even play the game because they have to sit through a queue first, they will find something else to play.

Aye. As far as I know, DC didn't even fix the death warp thing. I think they added a queue cancel option, but it doesn't always work and you only get stuck in lobby. You should still be able to travel, but if you had no walker or something you're completely SOL. DC also tried to fix the tilecap thing with the "A tile's controlling clan gets reserved slots either equal to clan size of tile or up to 20." change but 20 is so low to properly fight zergs and zergs regularly swarm 2, 5, 10 man clan size tiles with no issues anyway, I have no idea what they were thinking with that change.

My plan in October is to train up to a dinghy and bonespike sword and just go kill people. Maybe rush Wyndan Saber if I'm feeling good, but nowhere past that. If by some miracle I continue to play, maybe Wingsuit so relatively risk-free solo pirating becomes possible.

nakieon
Aug 28, 2020

https://steamcommunity.com/games/903950/announcements/detail/2815270122230313800

TLDR: October wipe isn't happening now - delayed for later when content patch actually drops on the live branch. Looks like all changes will be deployed to a new permanent test/beta branch that we can opt into via steam. I'll probably still check it out in Oct but hopefully enough people are playing so we can actually have a nice "launch day/week" feel and have some cheap fun killing people. I'm not 100% sure whether this new test/beta branch will continue to have higher gather rates and 33% research costs but I assume it would.

nakieon fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 24, 2020

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
That new panda walker sounds like a step in the right direction in terms of moving walkers during the burn, though I still wouldn't risk my entire fleet being packed in a single target so it would still be multiple trips to catch up to the current tile.

Would be fun to roll into a zone and unpack 5 titans :byobear:

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

Idea for fixing the queue capping: Make it random. Whenever a slot opens, pick a random person from the queue to let in instead of just whoever has been waiting the longest. Big clans still have their numbers advantage as they can pack more into the queue, but now can't completely lock people out. Also, let people who were logged out on that tile travel to somewhere else. Then you could have some fun times with counter offensives. OwO capping your tile? Grab a gang and go hit one of their tiles to draw pressure off.

Huckert
Aug 1, 2007

For the love of the game
The tactic is to cap the tile before the fight even begins - hours before. There's not gonna be anyone at all coming through the queue before the battle is already done and dusted.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Yeah, the problem is unless you make a seperate battleground for tile wars (where you can limit entry for balance) you'd have to clear the title when a vulnerability window opens then apply some way to balance the input. and that sucks for people doing things (just farming, vibing, whatever)

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Tile capturing was never going to work out outside of some kind of scheduled instanced battle that both sides got to join equally, which would also suck.

In my perfect word they would scrap the tile system and a module that just sucks up resources from the vicinity while deployed, takes a long time to undeploy, and makes the walker move extremely slowly. Then you'd get people moving around in convoys and encampments protecting their resource walker, and lots of fun fights of people trying to take them out before you hit the zone line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Yeah I think owning a hex via putting down a static base really, dosen't work when you A: Can't really like, build the infrastructure to feel safe around a fixed position (Not for fighting just like, having a safe base to group and craft and stuff) and B) have the cap limitations.

I would be super down for anything that let you gain something from securing a zone Temporariliy but played into the nomadic playstyle more, anything from special "Tiles" which are just PVP battlegrounds for the main convoy, the idea you said above arven or even like Resource rich spawns that rotate around a zone.

My dumb dream is just parking my walker around a base camp that moves day to day and just having little villages/RV parks pop up and tear down